Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Marquis Reagent - reactions to other chemicals

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
this came via dancesafes mailing list but was originally posted on the MAPS list. i don't have the name of who originally posted it so i can't credit it yet.
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND that the reason for the EZ Tests existence is not to show you what a chemical is, its purpose is to show you if the chemical you have is or is not an MDXX substance. every other reaction is up for debate.
AJ strongly insists that he is selling a kit to detect the presence of an "xtc" substance and nothing more. please do not hassle him about other reactions.
but that said here is the list of other reactions:
Marquis Reagent is commonly sold as "ecstasy testing kits". It is also used by law enforcement agents to do spot checks for opiate drugs (and, presumably, they now also probably use it to test for MDMA, amphetamines, etc). I was given the opportunity to do some experiments with donated material to see how it would react with some of the various unscheduled chemicals which are currently in circulation. Some of these, presumably, could concievably end up on the black market being passed as MDMA or as MDMA adulterants (DXM has already shown up). In particular it wouldn't surprise me to see some chemicals of the piperazine family show up - perhaps BZP or BZP in combination with TFMPP (unfortunately the only piperazine I had access to test was BZP HCl).
This material has been given to Erowid, who maintain an Ecstasy Test Kit FAQ, but I figured I would post it here as well. Make what use of it you will. If anyone does any further experiments into Marquis reagent reactions with other chemicals, I'd be interested in hearing the results.
2C-T-2: Orange to Red (usually a sort of a salmon color)
2C-T-7: Orange to Red (salmon, again; also, there is less tendency towards orange than 2C-T-2 shows)
4-Acetoxy-DIPT: Dirty (blackish) olive
5-MeO-DIPT: Fizzes then turns yellow quickly changing to a slightly rusty orange
Alpha-Methyl-DIPT: Fizzes then turns brown
Alpha-Methyltryptamine: Dark brownish-yellow
Benzylpiperazine: No color change, but it causes the reagent to fizz. Looks like when you pour hydrogen peroxide on a cut.
Diisopropyltryptamine (DIPT): Fizzes strongly then turns a neon yellow
Dipropyltryptamine (DPT): Dirty olive
Harmine: Fizzes slightly, much less so than BZP, and turns a brown-orange rust color.
Yohimbine: Fizzes slightly, much less so than BZP. Slowly (up to a minute), it will turn an olive green color.
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh
[This message has been edited by johnboy (edited 28 May 2000).]

Of that entire list, I am only familiar with 2-c-t-7, and only after reading about it.
Can the marquis reagent be usefull in finding strengths of these drugs? ie: to dark olive in 2 seconds? How reliable is the marquis reagent? I am waiting for a test which gives more details, and I believe it will be here soon. Or lets hope at least. Thanks for the info jb
wink.gif

------------------
"There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference."
- William James, American philosopher

Brought forward from the Archive - I think this is a list of interest. Does anyone want to add particular reactions of interest they've found when playing around with their tester?
By the way - if you have bought a tester and are still learning how to use it, there's nothing wrong with testing a few household substances like sugar, salt, flour et cetera, to get practise at delivering a single drop of reagent to a small sample of powder.
BigTrancer :)
[ 22 October 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

Can the marquis reagent be usefull in finding strengths of these drugs? ie: to dark olive in 2 seconds? How reliable is the marquis reagent?
*** This is to just give an updated answer, I'm sure horsey knows this by now :)
To continue the Enlighten preach, the reagents (no matter which one) don't give a quantative or qualative evaluation of the substance tested for.
It merley gives 'some' indication (mind you that some is a pretty good indication) of the substance that the reagent has tested positive for.
In my experience the darkness, speed, effervesence or smoke that is witnessed when testing gives no indication of the quality, strength or amount of substance tested.
There are other chemicals (even household and food items) that cause similiar or identical reactions to the colour changes that we are familiar with and thus the trust lays back on the supplier of the substance.
Please note however that having said that I still believe the testers give a good indication of the substance tested for. As JB has mentioned this particular tester, marquis, has been chosen because it gives a distinct test for MDxx substances and was not really chosen for its testing properties of other substances.
Secondary, tertiary and beyond reactions from other testers are simply there to back up the MDxx reaction (or lack there of). The results cannot compete with lab testing.
[ 22 October 2002: Message edited by: ruski ]

http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles1/nij/183258.pdf
AMERICAN National Department of Justice list of chemical reactions to the folowing reagents (note: subtances are usually dissolved in chloroform so you may not get a visible reaction with alot of the substances listed)
A.1 Cobalt Thiocyanate
A.2 Dille-Koppanyi Reagent, Modified
A.3 Duquenois-Levine Reagent, Modified
A.4 Mandelin Reagent
A.5 Marquis Reagent
A.6 Nitric Acid
A.7 Para-Dimethylaminobenzaldehyde (p-DMAB)
A.8 Ferric Chloride
A.9 Froede Reagent
A.10 Mecke Reagent
A.11 Zwikker Reagent
A.12 Simon’s Reagent
quite a good read but to big to paste across with the tables