Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun (12/9/02) : 'Ecstasy pills' probably rat poison

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Herald Sun 12/9/02 (can't get News.com.au at work)
'Ecstasy pills' probably rat poison
Maybe this should be a pill info request?
'NSW - Rat poison pill'
"These pills are total crap, double dropped these at 12.30am, was floored by about 1.30, didn't feel like dancing much so just sat around with mates vomitting blood and stemming the flow of blood from my nose, ears and eyes. No discernable peak, stopped bleeding by 5 and was able to move again at which point I went home.
I give these a 6/10, not great but good for first timers and for sitting around vomitting and bleeding with mates."
[ 12 September 2002: Message edited by: hoptis ]

For fucks sake - they're capsules!!! Anyone can make them, just seperate the capusle, fill with your chosen ingredient (MDMA, rat poison, penicillin, whatever), join the capsule together again, and bob's your uncle!
Anyone who's dumb enough to blindly take a capsule deserves to eat rat poison. And to be fair, a capsule "probably" isn't MDMA. But still... fairly misleading headline...

it is a possibility...
'Ecstasy pills' probably rat poison
September 12, 2002
RAT poison has been found in some seized capsules being passed off as the drug ecstasy, ACT police said.
A laboratory analysis of the green capsules found no trace of any illicit drug, a spokesman said.
Instead drug team leader Detective Sergeant Dave Sharpe said initial tests suggested the capsules contained straight rat poison or a substance of a similar type.
"For some time now we have been talking about the dangerous cocktail of chemicals contained in local supplies of tablets sold as ecstasy," he said.
"More often than not, the ecstasy buyer is purchasing a tablet containing very little or no trace of the amphetamine known as ecstasy.
but if we examine the article we can see it perfectly perpetuates the stance that news.com.au and the police media unit (or rogue police officers) take on illegal drugs.
  • just because they don't "test positive to any illicit substance" (in no less than initial tests), they are classified as containing "probably rat poison." this is a progression that is often put out and perpetuated by the media. either rat poison or glass, or some other insidious substance.
  • are they ecstasy pills or are they capsules? the article isn't quite sure, but there is a definite difference between a pill and a capsule.
  • "initial tests suggested..." but the first sentence states "RAT poison has been found ... ACT police said" as in has definitely been found.
  • "the capsules contained straight rat poison or a substance of a similar type". what exactly is similar to rat poison, but doesn't pander to the often-held opinion and perhaps the myth of poison in ecstasy. kind of like heroin in pills. maybe an exception, but not a rule. maybe they're similar because it's a white powder- but "similar to flour" doesn't hold the same interest, does it?
  • "tablets sold as ecstasy". i'm thinking they may be pissed off that their local drug dealer isn't in fact a real genuine drug dealer, maybe they just sell sugar pills (which initial tests show to contain [insert substance here]). even if what they say is true, they have effectively seized rat poison. what a crime!
  • "More often than not, the ecstasy buyer is purchasing a tablet containing very little or no trace of the amphetamine known as ecstasy." the only good thing to come out of this article is that police now must suggest all drug users and dealers invest in a pill tester so people can be more aware of what they are purchasing and consuming.
[ 12 September 2002: Message edited by: attaris ]

follow the story across the net:
originally sourced from australian associated press, the article first appeared on the news.com.au network, reproduced across sites like the herald sun, the australian and the daily telegraph. assorted radio networks also picked up on the story, including nova, and the austereo stations 2day fm and triple m. am radio stations are sure to follow. abc.net.au/news was next, with an interesting quote
"It is unusual in that we have not come across rat poison in the past in any of our seizures," Sergeant Sharp said.
at http://abc.net.au/news/2002/09/item20020912101837_1.htm . next will be smh.com.au. and stand by for a little story in the newspaper tomorrow, perhaps with a related article.
all strands of the original source from aap, and all strands getting a life of their own.

Anyone who's dumb enough to blindly take a capsule deserves to eat rat poison.
Wow, thats a bit harsh, what about the dodgey muther fucker who's selling it? ppl like that should be jailed rather than actuall drug dealers

Knowingly selling rat poison imo may mean the person is someone who intends to cause grievous bodily harm or commit murder.
They are not your ordinary drug dealer; but someone with psychological problems or serious criminality. Or a warped vendetta against drug users or drugs in general.
They shouldnt be classified as a drug dealer at all.
Rat poison is not a drug. (although some types lke warfarin are drugs used on humans everyday; meaning this could be one of those type of stories)
e.g: horse tranquiliser (ketamine - we all know about that; another thing used on humans only stopped due to complained hallucinogenic side effects; the horses dont complain)
rat poison (warfarin - potent anti-coagulant)
insecticides (possibly piperonyl butoxide, maybe employed to make piperonal an MDXX precursor; so not an intentional addition)
fertiliser (well dar; ammonia type salts are always in the synthesis somewhere, they have to be; just one of the downsides of having to purchase impure illicit drugs)
crushed glass (someone rightfully suggested just silicon dioxide, a common addition to tablets/herbal supplements i think)
There is always an alternative explanation for everything and its just a shame the media/police werent more scientific and named the type of "rat poison".
If its strychnine however then someone IS trying to kill drug users.

If I wanted to make bunk caps I wouldn't fork out money for rat poison. I would just steal a few suger sachets from my local cafe.
But it's just another media beat up.

Anyone who's dumb enough to blindly take a capsule deserves to eat rat poison.
Yeah I thought that was a bit harsh too, God knows that I certainly didn't test my first few pills, and neither would most newbs. And coming from a moderator? hmmm.....

lol, will you n00bs stop being tools. give him a break. just because you just starting taking ecstasy doesnt mean you cant have researched anything BEFOREHAND. many people actually do that before they take illicit substances as taking any drug has its inherent risks. this simply highlights the importance of testing. what he meant is he cant believe people dont test their pills, especially caps.
being jaded just comes with the territory.
[ 12 September 2002: Message edited by: Cowboy Mac ]

Oh god, are you people really that stupid? I'm not wishing death on anyone, just saying that you should test your pills - especially a capsule as they're so easy to fake.
I'll rephrase - anyone dumb enough to blindly take a capusle I have no sympathy for, and if anything bad happened they'd only have themselves to blame. Sure, the dealer that sold it to them is a bit of a cunt, but it's not like anyone held a gun to their head and made them eat it. People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming dodgey drugs or dodgey dealers.
If that opinion makes me jaded, then I'm fucking glad that I am...
P.S... sincere appologies if I offended any of you dumb fucks that don't test your caps. I should have been nicer - afterall, you might not be around for much longer... :)

We all new what you ment the first time Pleo. It's just people like to stur up things for the fuck of it. You take full responsibilty in anything you take. Regardless of Quantity or Quality. If a pill contained too much MDMA and killed someone then what would they say next. That pill's are to potent. For fucks sake. If ya take drugs. Expect the worst but appreciate the good. But what I don't agree with is that dealers put Rat Poison in Pills. I think that's as low as it gets when it comes to dealers. For them to stoop that low and put Rat Poison in pills, is beside fuckin me. Atleast if your gonna sell a dud capsule or pill fill it with shit that doesn't kill ya. In the end you should be sellin what you preach, dealers that lie, and their are shit loads of them out there are like your best mate sleepin with your wife. I say if you catch someone sellin Rat Poison as a capsule just kick the motherfucker so hard between the legs so as he can sell his balls off as well.

Originally posted by Pleonastic:
Oh god, are you people really that stupid? I'm not wishing death on anyone
Nah mate, no-one is being stupid in their response. You said "Anyone who's dumb enough to blindly take a capsule deserves to eat rat poison."
Now think back, honestly, how many people who use drugs had the opportunity to fully research the pros and cons beforehand, and how many were naive teenagers who were peer pressured etc. I guarantee you that a lot of people didn't even know they needed to know more to take drugs safely - everyone else seemed to be doing it, so they assumed it was ok. This is the direct result of drugs being illegal - information about them is suppressed to the point where people can't find the information about what they should do to minimise harm to themselves if they choose to use drugs.
The other attitude here that really gets my goat is the sentiment, and I know it's a common one on this board, that being 'stupid' somehow means you deserve to eat rat poison, or even die. The arrogance of this viewpoint astounds me. It's like "Yeah, so maybe you come from a socio-economic background where you couldn't get as good an education as other people, maybe you had to work to support your family instead of getting multiple degrees like me... So you deserve to die for that, fool!"
A bit of tolerance goes a long way in this world.
/rant

I guess you're right - the fact that drugs are illegal is probably my fault, and my comment isn't going to legalise them any time soon. ;)
I've probably pissed heaps of people off with that comment, but you know what? I don't care. I made a one line throwaway comment that I just wrote and didn't put too much thought into. Big deal! Is everyone else so perfect that they've never done something like that?
I could defend myself more, but I don't want to. I've made my point, and if everyone is so fucking sensitive that their feelings get hurt by something someone they've never met says on the internet then there isn't much I can do about that... fuck people can be touchy sometimes.
For the hard of understanding: just test your pills please, it helps you prevent getting hurt.
Now, can we please get back on the topic at hand and ignore my silly little tongue in cheek comment! The world will still keep turning if you let it slide, so don't waste any more energy on it. :)
P.S... Charles Darwin would have agreed with me... ;)
[ 13 September 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

Furthermore, for those out there who think they are somehow absolved of taking care of themselves by saying "I'm young, uninformed, and don't know any better..." - THINK AGAIN.
It is your fucking RESPONSIBILITY to research and learn about every drug that you put into your body. NOBODY else gives a fuck if you live or die except your family and friends, and THEY sure aren't going to research your drugs for you.
If you don't take the time to learn about the pros/cons, benefits/drawbacks, indications/contraindications, dose/overdose limits and every other piece of information out there you can get your grubby hands upon... then you pretty much "deserve what you get" because you have jumped into murky water headfirst without checking for obstacles.
There are NO WARNING LABELS on illicit drugs - this doesn't imply that there are no precautions that must be taken, it merely indicates that there is nobody else to blame but yourself if something goes wrong. If you don't know the precautions, then ask someone who does... and then get a second opinion. There are many references on the internet and in libraries with authoritative information and experience reports from people who have tried just about every drug known, and more that aren't really that well known.
It it YOUR responsibility to learn before you dose. There is information to help you learn about the drugs, and tests to help you become certain of what drug you're taking. Know yourself, know your drug, know your dose. That way, drugs can be something that really enhances your life experience, and expands your mind. Fail to educate yourself and take them without care for the consequences, and drugs can be something that end your life. Please try to minimise the harm you do to yourself.
BigTrancer.

Pleo: Okay, we'll let your "silly little tongue in cheek comment" slide, just like you did.
Do testers show up rat poison?

I 100% agree with everything in BT's post right there. but i do think that no matter how long youve been on bluelight or how long youve been taking drugs, things dont change (or maybe better put 'are changing, but damn slowly'), there will always be far more idiotic drug users than sensible ones. as stupid as it sounds to eat an unknown pill in an unknown environment, more people wouldve have done it that you'd like to admit, and more than half those people are still amazed when you explain that its possible to test your pills.
explaining about testing etc should not become a blaze topic, no matter how many times it comes up, because its always going to happen, and there will always be more people to listen!

Do testers show up rat poison? No, they show results for MDxx-like chemicals, Speed-like chemicals, and other reactions. Many other chemical types do not provide a positive reaction.
But assuming the caps DIDN'T test purple/black, then you can be damn sure they don't have MDMA in them, at which point you should thank the dealer for their time, decline the purchase, and walk away. "If it doesn't test black, send it back".
Edit:
I re-read the article, these caps didn't "test positive to any illicit substance" therefore the tester would tell you they're not MDMA, so you don't buy them. Easy. Less Harm.
BigTrancer :)
[ 14 September 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

I also agree with BT's post. My point would be though, that a lot of people do not realise it is neccessary to research drugs, test pills, etc etc.
Drugs are often presented in the same social situations as alcohol, as recreational substances, but how many of us seriously researched alcohol before having our first beer ?
I'm sure if every single ecstasy user knew that you could (should) buy testing kits, or find reports on the internet, there would be a lot less bad experiences with the drug. However, someone who did not know that the information was available is not neccessarily at fault if something bad happens.