• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Does life get better?

1ll0gic

Bluelighter
Drugs have made me depressed, anxious, self-conscious, and have given me trust issues. For the past couple of years, I've been eating healthy for the most part (not on a strict health diet, but just have been mainly staying away from sodas and fast food). I've also been hitting the gym and have a pretty decent body. I've also stopped regular drug use, and have only used drugs on rare occasions. I'm also in school.

But my life still seems gloomy. I'm assuming that a lot of you on this forum have moved on from drugs and on to healthy living. So my question is, does life get better in response to healthy living? Or will my life remain the way it is but I'll simply have a healthy body? Sorry mods if this is the wrong forum.

I have spent a lot of time looking for the perfect diet or exercise program to make me happy. Doesn't really work that way, in my experience. Physical health is one aspect of our well being and to focus on it to the exclusion of other areas is not going to provide "happiness".

But taking care of your physical health can certainly make you feel better. Especially if it is done as a way of caring for yourself, rather than in an obsessive need to achieve perfection.

If you are dealing with depression and anxiety, then you may need to focus more on the psychological level to make the changes that you want.

Balance in all things :)

its good that youre hitting the gym and eating healthier,how offten is doing drugs on "occasion"

and what kinda drug(s)?

im eating healthier and have stopped drugs for the most part (adderall once in awhile) but like still seems gloomy to be honest. every weekend life just seems to get more and more dull.

This seems to be one of the right places to ask a question like this.

What you really need right now, while trying to break out of the gloom that your life had become on drugs, is something to get a foot hold on life. Perhaps a hobby, or a certain type of social setting, would help guide you back to liking life. You need to find something you like to do and stick with it.

Also, try to find a cheap or free behavioral therapist near you. Sometimes, simply talking things out is enough to get your life back on track.

But my life still seems gloomy.

What do you spend most of your time doing, besides sleeping? School?

Maybe that's the answer to your question.

Anywho, life is what you make it. "If I'm gonna point fingers, better point 'em at the mirror."

For me the answer is to be active. Like right now, for instance, I'm procrastinating. I'm distracting myself. I'm not "happy." But there's no one, or thing, to blame but myself for this current, short-term predicament. I feel like I know what I should be doing -- reading a book, or taking a walk, or cooking some food -- but I'm distracting myself for whatever reason.

To answer your question, life gets better if you make it get better.

its good that youre hitting the gym and eating healthier,how offten is doing drugs on "occasion"

and what kinda drug(s)?

im eating healthier and have stopped drugs for the most part (adderall once in awhile) but like still seems gloomy to be honest. every weekend life just seems to get more and more dull.

I've stopped regular drug use a little less than 2 years ago. Since then I've smoked weed a few times, did coke once, popped xanax's a few times, and shrooms once. my weekend life is getting more dull as well.. same shit different day

What do you spend most of your time doing, besides sleeping? School?

Maybe that's the answer to your question.

Anywho, life is what you make it. "If I'm gonna point fingers, better point 'em at the mirror."

For me the answer is to be active. Like right now, for instance, I'm procrastinating. I'm distracting myself. I'm not "happy." But there's no one, or thing, to blame but myself for this current, short-term predicament. I feel like I know what I should be doing -- reading a book, or taking a walk, or cooking some food -- but I'm distracting myself for whatever reason.

To answer your question, life gets better if you make it get better.

School, gym, play guitar, read novels, hang out with buddies. I have the same mindset as you; remain active and that I am solely responsible for my well-being. Well my self-esteem is so low that blaming myself doesn't phase me anymore. As far as remaing active, if someone would hire me I would be more than willing to work full time while still studying. But even though I try to remain active, life still seems gloomy. I thought that what I do externally would change how I feel internally, but it isn't this way.

You need to do more fun shit. Being healthy is way over-rated. Besides, being healthy allows you to abuse drugs more because your body is in a better situation to handle bad things. So, if anything, do more drugs! Go to parties, go clubbing, get fucked on pills and have a good time.

your perceptions make up your reality.

OP, you admit that you have low self esteem and are generally a pessimistic person. you need to realize that the only thing that people see in you is what you see in yourself.

try going straight edge for a while (not even cannabis, alcohol, or sex), and hit the gym or run 3 times a week.

try to hit a new concert ever week, play a pick up game of basketball at the local gym, or join a fucking book club.

i would tell you to just pack up and move to a new place, but you're just going to end up taking your old self with you and you'll be even more depressed.

enjoy life as you have it. i'm sure you're in a position that many others would kill for.

final word of advice would be to road trip to some insane exotic location in your country and go hiking. you don't even need drugs to reach enlightenment when you're hiking along a dessert trail or scaling a lush, green mountain.