Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

5-HTP and instant effects??? (and more)

Pendulum

Bluelighter
Hey people.
situation - OK.. I recently got some 5HTP, and had some today. I had two capsules of 100mg each.
history - I have been slightly 'off' for about a month or so, I have had a nagging headache, and just emotionally been a little left of centre. I have been training 5 times a week quite hard for my sport and am usually pretty drained. (I would say I was about 20% down on my normal good spirits)
now - this afternoon, I feel totally refreshed. Much more 'awake' and somewhat lifted in general spirits. OK.. not like a great deal.. but enough to definately feel better in general. (I'd say anything between 15 - 20% better)
question 1 - Could it be that I have slightly lower seratonin levels than I should?
question 2 - Could my seratonin levels be depleted by my very draining lifestyle - I am in front of a computer 3d modelling and web coding, then out on a track running fast.
question 3 - Have I lowered my seratonin levels from a big nite out (hennes and cold %$&#%) and then.. because of my lifestyle.. not been able to replenish that seratonin from that night out? And now.. that I have had a little 5HTP.. promoted some more seratonin to get back in there?
I know these questions seem minor and trivial.. but it is just for personal interest.
Mods - if this belongs in health please shift it over... but I thought that this might be interesting to read for other people who are looking at buying 5-HTP..
Look forward to your thoughts,
Cheers
Pendulum

My thoughts...
question 1 - It's highly likely - 5-htp is used as an anti-depressant of sorts (it's considered a natural suppliment, as opposed to a pharmecutical medicine). 5-htp use (generally) = better concentration, descreased appetite, reduced anxiety, better mood and better sleep. I'd say it's because of the 5-htp you took that you're feeling better.
question 2 - I don't think it's a matter of what you're lifestyle is, your seratonin levels are more likely to be related to how much you enjoy your lifestyle... Do you enjoy 3d modelling & athletic activities? Are they frustrating? Rewarding?
question 3 - Your seratonin levels should have recovered since hennes & cold... That was April 19th if I recall correctly :)
If you've never felt back to base line since, maybe you went so hard you actually burnt out/ caused downgrading of some of the seratonin receptors in your brain, meaning seratonin levels wouldn't matter as your brain wouldn't be capable of using it anyway... That would mean that 5-htp wouldn't have worked though.
There is always the placebo effect, is that a possiblity?
Anyway, for a professional opinion - consult your doctor :)

Hey Apollo,
thank heaps for that.
in answer to your question, regarding my question2 - yes, I really enjoy my sport and my computer graphics, quite a lot.
further question - Could it be that because I did get a kick out of winning a race, or training, or producing art, that my brain releases seratonin to make me feel good at these times? Also, could this mean, that if I am often releasing seratonin from feeling good about something, that it is more often than not, at a lower level than normal?
So now the 5-HTP has brought my level back up?
further comments - After a night of sleep, I can also say that that was the best night of sleep I have ever had - mind you I dreamed all night long - does seratonin have anything to do with your dreams?
thanks again :) :) :)
Cheers
Pendulum

5-htp and dreaming. most people including myself report that taking 5-htp makes them dream, and more vividly at that.
i am not sure if the 5-htp actually makes you dream or just makes it possible to rememeber your dreams, but it does something!
for the ultimate kick and a big chance of getting lucid dreaming(only if you dont mind feeling mongy the following morning) try a good muscle relaxer, 6mg melatonin, 100 mg 5-htp and and benzo that relaxes you comfortably into a quick sleep(0.5mg xanax maybe?)
idea is to relax yourself into a smooth sleep while the muscle relaxant kicks in, and then the melatonin should trigger rem sleep a bit faster and hopefully the 5-htp would intensify those dreams.
and this whole combination hopefully will put you into a physical state that enables you brain to be a bit more consiounce while rem'ing giving you lucidity in your dreams.
p.s. lucid dreaming = knowing you are dreaming while asleep, theoretically giving you complete control of you dreams(mostly hee hee)

5-HTP is well known for causing bizarre and vivid dreams (like my dream that I was Paul van Dyk, anyhow.. ;) ) Serotonin plays a role in sleep, amongst other things. Pendulum: your question:
Could it be that because I did get a kick out of winning a race, or training, or producing art, that my brain releases seratonin to make me feel good at these times? Also, could this mean, that if I am often releasing seratonin from feeling good about something, that it is more often than not, at a lower level than normal? This is really over simplifying the whole neurochemistry thing. You have a bunch of different neurotransmitters that play a role in emotions and serotonin is but one of these. It is an all too well accepted myth that feeling bad or sad = low serotonin levels. It really isn't that simple. Many Dr's and health professionals spread this myth based on the fact that commonly used anti-depressant's called SSRI's seem to boost serotonin levels in the CNS. At least they do initially. This led to the conclusion that low serotonin = low mood. But, as I have said many times before (stop yawning people!) there is no proof that feeling sad or depressed is due to low serotonin levels.
If 5-HTP helps you feel better, more power to you! Having said all of the above, I still believe it is sensible to use 5-HTP after MDMA. Also, exercise has been proven to lift mood in people with depression, so your training is probably helping too.

Thanks for the info and replies peeps.
I knew I was taking this whole thing to a very simplified state, but i was just curious.
the 5HTP has helped, and man my dreams were very vivid.
Cheers all!
Pendulum

Hey guys,
After seeing all the info about 5-htp I decided to order a bottle.
I know 5-htp is supposed to replinish serotonin levels that are depleted from excess mdma use, so does this mean that after taking 5-htp for a while any pill you take will have a greater effect because there is actually higher levels of serotonin in your body??
Thanks.

I'd avoid benzos if you want to get into good full pattern sleep cycles. Although Xanax is fast-acting and has a short half-life, it may actually restrict you from cycling down into stage 4 sleep, ie REM...

I know 5-htp is supposed to replinish serotonin levels that are depleted from excess mdma use, so does this mean that after taking 5-htp for a while any pill you take will have a greater effect because there is actually higher levels of serotonin in your body??
That's kinda the principle behind 'preloading', meaning taking supplements prior to mdma in an attempt to bolster the body's stores of serotonin and vitamins. However, I think of the serotonin system like the fuel tank of a car... if you fill it up, it eventually can't take anymore, and the remainder you attempt to put in is wasted. If you take too much vitamins or supplements, the water soluble ones should be expelled in your urine.
BigTrancer :)

Rather than start a new topic, I think this is related enough... I'm interested in seeing if 5-HTP really does help for weight loss (fending off midwinter spread!) and reestablishing a healthy sleep pattern.
Just ordered in Jarrow 50mg and 100mg from iherbi.com - most unhelpfully, both bottles state that the recommended dosage is one capsule per day - hello!
Any suggestions for dosage for this purpose? Also, how many days before a roll should one stop taking it? (I've seen conflicting opinions on the last question so thought I'd ask again.)
BTW, as far as instant effects go, I noticed my mood going from calm to slightly agitated/restless within half an hour of having 50mg last night and I did have vivid dreams. I last had another brand of 5-HTP a couple of years ago and remember feeling a slight rush and body buzz within half an hour of ingesting then too - nothing too exciting, but noticeable.

I'm interested in seeing if 5-HTP really does help for weight lossi know someone who uses them for this purpose (however i think eating properly and exercise is more healthy) and she has 200mg+ per day to achieve appetite supression. she has lost weight using this method.

Can anyone fill me in on the best times of day to take 5htp for dietary purposes ?
eg before or after meals, morning or evening, etc.

From the Guidelines:
DO search on Bluelight, Erowid and the wider internet for information about the topic you're considering posting, before you post your question. Chances are that by searching, you'll answer your own question and other questions you hadn't thought of yet.
Please have a quick search of the net when you have a question - you may find your information very quickly and easily. Of course, if the subject hasn't been covered here on Bluelight, then feel free to share the knowledge you've discovered.
I found the following in less than 30 seconds using www.google.com
(5-HTP) Dosage Information
For weight control: Take 100 mg three times a day, 20 to 30 minutes before meals. After two weeks, increase the dose to 200 mg (three times a day).
From http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,747,00.html
BigTrancer :)

i seriously think u should consider seeing a doctor b4 using these sort of drugs for anything other than preload and postload.
as for weightloss.. diet and excercise plays an important role. If u stopped using the drugs your more than likely to put it all back on again and maybe an extra kilo or two to top it off..
get on a good diet and excercise plan to start with. and stick to it.

I am happy to report I ordered 2 bottles of 60 tabs, 50 mg 5-htp, from www.biochemical.com Got an extra bottle for free which was luverly. The price was about 116$ Aust, including shiping to Korea. They took 4 days to arrive, fantastic! I have noticed some very vivid dreams, this morning my dream was accompanied with a soundtrack! My dreams are usually vivid and in colour, but wtih music- that was great. I'm stoked with my order.
Must say I took one at 6 o'clock last night and did feel pretty sleepy, I will take them before bed in future.
5-htp rocks!
[ 05 September 2002: Message edited by: gloryfiedy ]

Oh, here's an interesting tidbit I found while crusing the infomation superhighway (or some other cliche)
Apprently 5-HTP has the potential to convert into other typtamines in the body that are psycoactive. I'm not sure which tryptamines they were (looking at the structure of 5-HTP, they might be of the ones that DMT is a family of), but if anyone can find the URL that had this info, I'd love to go back and read it again.

Straylight: I'd avoid benzos if you want to get into good full pattern sleep cycles. Although Xanax is fast-acting and has a short half-life, it may actually restrict you from cycling down into stage 4 sleep, ie REM...
This isn't exactly right. Stage 4 sleep is actually stage 4 of NREM sleep (non rapid eye movement). Stage 4 NREM is the deepest level of sleep, whereas REM sleep is actually your most light form of sleep (arguably). ALL dreaming is done during REM sleep, and REM comes at the end of a sleep cycle, ie, you must first enter stage 1 NREM, then stage 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 - and then you hit REM sleep. Well, that is they way it is supposed to work, people in our position are likely to spend longer in stage 4 NREM i would think.