Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Article - Herald Sun 7/8/02 - "Ecstasy kills clubber, 20"

ChEmIcaL_NiGhT

Bluelighter
A transcript from the herald sun article (typical herld sun crap, though i would like to know if what they say is actually true)
----------------------------------------
Ecstasy kills clubber, 20
By MARK DUNN
07aug02
ECSTASY has claimed its first Victorian victims. A woman, aged about 20, collapsed and died after taking ecstasy at a Melbourne nightclub.
Three more people, in their 20s and 30s, died last year because of ecstasy mixed with other drugs.
They are among 16 Victorian deaths since 1992 in which ecstasy was a factor, the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine says.
The most recent case is the only death where ecstasy was the sole cause of catastrophic organ failure.
It remained unreported until now because the coronial investigation was not public. Family privacy prevents further details being released.
More than a dozen overdoses each week lead to hospital treatment and the institute's Professor Olaf Drummer said it was a matter of chance that more deaths had not been recorded.
Hundreds of ecstasy tablets are sold every week at Melbourne raves or dance parties.
Ecstasy and amphetamine use has spiralled as the continued heroin drought leads addicts to turn to other drugs.
A corrupted form of ecstasy, PMA -- known on the street as "killer" or "death" -- has killed about 17 young Australians in recent years.
Drug researcher Dr Rod Irvine estimates about 50 ravers are admitted to hospital in Australia each week from the effects of ecstasy.
St Vincent's emergency department sees about five ecstasy overdoses a week during school and university breaks and the Alfred Hospital treats two to three a week.
"There is a perception among young people that ecstasy is safe," Dr Irvine said. "I know there are people involved in drug research, especially from Sydney, who have expressed this view.
"With pure ecstasy by itself, under controlled conditions, it probably is reasonable to say it is not hugely dangerous. But the truth is much more complex."
He said individuals reacted differently to the drugs. And users, thinking they were buying ecstasy, were often duped into taking drugs made from substances including LSD, heroin, cocaine, powdered glass and horse tranquillisers.
"It is impossible to predict what will happen," Dr Irvine said.
"You should be extremely cautious about saying anything is safe."
Despite the dangers of ecstasy, national broadcaster the ABC has posted a website describing it
as a spiritual "love" drug promoting "oneness", and not particularly dangerous.
The official ABC website, written by the broadcaster's health commentator Norman Swan, says misinformation about ecstasy gave it an undeserved reputation.
"This is fuelled every so often when someone dies from allegedly taking the drug," Dr Swan states. "It's not as bad for us as we've been led to believe."
The ABC defended the site, saying it was important material first published in 1997 but still relevant.
"The article in no way condones or encourages the use of recreational drugs," ABC project manager Ian Vaile said.
---------------------------------------------
Few things to say:
The most recent case is the only death where ecstasy was the sole cause of catastrophic organ failure.
I would like to know how true this statement is.
Some other typical herld sun bullshit I dont like is:
Ecstasy and amphetamine use has spiralled as the continued heroin drought leads addicts to turn to other drugs.
Sorry guys, its your kids, and yours friends that are using it... NOt junkies looking for a hit cos they can't find their smack! They use it to partee!
A corrupted form of ecstasy, PMA -- known on the street as "killer" or "death" -- has killed about 17 young Australians in recent years.
Corrupted form hey ahahahhahaa.. Your un-informed dickhead. "known as killer or death".. did he just make that up on the cuff? PMA IS NOT ECSTASY!
St Vincent's emergency department sees about five ecstasy overdoses a week during school and university breaks and the Alfred Hospital treats two to three a week.
RIGHTO mr storyteller... im sure they mean dehydration or alike.
And users, thinking they were buying ecstasy, were often duped into taking drugs made from substances including LSD, heroin, cocaine, powdered glass and horse tranquillisers.
All i can say about this comment is FUCKING TYPICAL. yeah, the powdered glass gives me a good high, combine that with some smack and some charlie, and im rockin all night.
A link to the herald sun propogander is
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,4854534%255E2862,00.html
[ 06 August 2002: Message edited by: ChEmIcaL_NiGhT ]

Maybe these reporters just don't know any better. They probably get their information about illicit drugs from the "experts" they interview, who have the most elementary of facts. This leaves them to then "news up" the story with the right choice of adjectives. (Consult the pocket Herald-Sun thesaurus which instructs them in sensationalism, ie. every time the word 'ecstacy' is used, there must be an appearance of the word 'agony' within two sentences... 'drug' becomes 'deadly dance-rave drug'... 'rifle' must be preceded with 'high-powered semi-automatic military-style'... et cetera. ;) )
BigTrancer :)

It would actually be interesting to know if 'catastrophic organ failure' was heart related and if this person already had a known problem with the organ that failed.

Hundreds of ecstasy tablets are sold every week at Melbourne raves or dance parties.
Well we all know that's a load of crap...hundreds my arse!

Originally posted by ChEmIcaL_NiGhT:
From article:
"Ecstasy and amphetamine use has spiralled as the continued heroin drought leads addicts to turn to other drugs. "

This is actually kind of true in a way, but in this context it ignores the fact that most who take e are party people rather than full time addicts.
It is unlikely a smackie with the sweats would seek out speed, however many seem to be combining the 2 in their lives now. Speed also seems to be gaining popularity with ex-opiate users.
This article mixes information with misinformation and, if the media is your only source of this information, it makes it very hard to know what the real story is.
"With pure ecstasy by itself, under controlled conditions, it probably is reasonable to say it is not hugely dangerous. But the truth is much more complex."
He said individuals reacted differently to the drugs. And users, thinking they were buying ecstasy, were often duped into taking drugs made from substances including LSD, heroin, cocaine, powdered glass and horse tranquillisers.
"It is impossible to predict what will happen," Dr Irvine said.
I can't see what's too bad about this bit, apart from very few (1?) actually being found to contain heroin or cocaine. The point here seems to be that since there is no regulation in the ecstacy industry, they could be getting anything. Given that they can't stop people taking ecstacy, how can we solve this little problem?
I've always wondered, was there ever any truth to the powdered glass rumour?
Newspaper articles such as this are summaries of other articles and sensationalisms, some fact, some fiction and a fair bit of interpretation by people who aren't qualified. You could write a book on the amphetamine industry and culture in Australia and you still couldn't cover it all.
[ 07 August 2002: Message edited by: SeveredPsyche ]

Despite the sensationalism and the odd of bit of nonsense, it's actually a big improvement on the sort of total rubbish we normally expect from the Herald Sun.

Poor girl, poor friends, poor family.
Be good if anyone can find out what actual cause of death was (PMA, hyperthermia, 'organ' failure etc).

FIRST OFF
My thoughts go out to the families and friends of the person who lost their life. A sad time for all.
SECONDLY
Actualy I didnt have too much of an issue with the article apart from this paragraph.
[/QUOTE]
And users, thinking they were buying ecstasy, were often duped into taking drugs made from substances including LSD, heroin, cocaine, powdered glass and horse tranquillisers.
I think we all recognise that it is not a pastime without risks. I am all for informing ppl that there are risks and that you need to test to be sure of what you are taking. Scare tactics dont help anyone though.
I would be very interested to know why they never actually consult enlighten or other ppl who actualy know when they write articles of this type..
Just out oof interest - does anyone actualy respond to these in letters to the editor or something.

I'm sure that there are all sorts of political, social and financial influences that prevent such a truthful story from being told.
For the truth to be told, the journalist would want to have some sort of interest in the truth and that would be just too heart breaking for the newspaper with a journalist who might agree with or even (god forbid) take drugs themselves.
I mean think about it, how many of us would really go to that much trouble to tell the truth unless the story genuinely intersted us? Sure we always want to tell the absolute truth but a few 'professional facts' and some clever wording later and we have the story that our bosses or perhaps friends are going to be more than happy with because they dont know any better -- we'd leave it up to someone else to critisise and dispel anything myths we may have created by our misleading information -- people like us.
I mean noone in their right mind (well maybe some people) would bore themselves with the fundamentals of something unless they were truley passionate about the topic they are researching.
I think a lot of the time journalist write a story because they are asked to or perhaps have been assigned to write stories of such a type. If its new and they do the least research possible and further sensationalise it they get the respect and appreciation of not only their peers but also those that fill their pockets -- I mean its within their best interests to shutup and write the tripe they like to call 'news'.
[ 07 August 2002: Message edited by: ruski ]

Sometimes i think its a government conspiracy to give out misinformation. I mean wot would the UN have to say about legalising stuff like Pot for instance.
Doesnt the same government go around telling kids if u take ecstasy you'll die like anna wood??
the point Im trying to make is.. E will get the blame no matter wot.
The papers will still print misinformation to try and scare parents.
The rave scene will continuously get a bad name. They like to make a point of saying Rave scene to again scare parents. too bad E also gets use at clubs, the rsl (ahah yes i no people who go there on it), staying at home playing playstation all weekend (my exes flatmates seriously are guilty of that and i mean every weekend), umm....
Is Heroin a downer?
[ 07 August 2002: Message edited by: sydkiwi ]

"In war, the truth is so precious it must be shielded by a bodyguard of lies." - Sir Winston Churchill.

I doubt the infomation on "what" she actually took will ever come out??.. Because it didn't once say it was a MDxx OD. And I dont think it probably was IMHO.
Cause the term "ecstacy" gets way too over used..
Is a speed or K bomb really "ecstacy"? It's in pill form so thats what we will call it!... *pfft*

I'm interested to know exactly what is classed as an overdose? I found an "overdose" to be more of a pyscological overdose, not a physical one.
And it's interesting that they quickly skip over why she died, and go straight into the evils of ecstasy.

I am not at all suspicious of the cause of death "catastrophic organ failure" for this poor girl. MDMA can indeed cause multiple organ failure (the correct term) and this has nothing to do with pre-existing problems. It appears to be related to hyperthermia, which can cause a clotting disorder called disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) which causes organ failure.
A key finding in these cases has been hyperthermia. Pathological findings in fatalities has shown evidence consistent with heat-stroke induced multi-organ damage from "Ecstasy" or MDMA
It has also been shown that heat injury from any source can cause rhabdomyolysis, coagulopathy, and multiple organ failure from MAPS
I'll try to find some more references for this tomorrow. Suffice to say, IMHO this is the one line in the story that appeared to be accurate.

So why would a junkie take uppers instead? wouldnt pot be a better choice?

Baby_doc beat me to it (and is more qualified to discuss it anyway) but bar the over the top language of "catastrophic" there is NOTHING wrong with the organ failure claim.
It continually amazes me that people assume MDMA was not involved and it must be an adulterant like PMA, overlooking MDMA's NUMBER ONE danger in the process.
Yes this danger only arises if the drug is taken in hot environments with inadequate cooling...but hello, where is probably 80-90% of ecstasy taken? - in environments exactly as i have described.
Dehydration followed by hyperthermia followed by heat stroke leading into organ failure and death is a very real threat posed by IRRESPONSIBLE/UNEDUCATED MDMA use.
If a clubber dies taking an "ecstasy pill" in a hot club, heat stroke should be your first guess at the cause before anything else.
Certainly MDMA didnt kill her directly, but she wouldnt have died if she didnt take it, at the same time as she wouldnt have died if she took the proper precautions of drinking 300 or so mls of water/sports drinks an hour, taking breaks, getting air and i hope wearing loose clothing and no stupid hats(which are a funeral waiting to happen).
I have seen it with my own eyes the many people, newbies especially, that literally have NO idea about how the drug is effecting them and the precautions they must take each and everytime they choose to ingest it.
An alternative report one day might say "MDMA caused the user's brain to bulge and crush against the skull killing him in the process."
Would that have any of you up in arms? well i hope not because all thats happened is a cerebral edema (right medicos?) caused by hyponatremia, which resulted from drinking too much water and excessive sweating whilst under the influence of MDMA.
Look past the emotive language to the real causes; certainly criticise the language as i have done, but do not assume MDMA cannot be directly involved in the life-ending situations which may be reported.

Originally posted by sydkiwi:
So why would a junkie take uppers instead? wouldnt pot be a better choice?
Sydkiwi: You'll find that someone who is addicted to the needle will, when there is nothing else, inject saline solution (have seen this done on many occasions). For some, it's not about the drug, it's about the feeling of the drug being administered intraveinously. There is, of course, the addictive qualites of heroin (and all opiates), but amphetamine is alo injectable and addictive. You can't inject pot. I've known friends to get out of detox, and score straight away :( . When they can'f find any heroin, they'll get amphetamine, or vice versa. Of course, this doesn't apply to all people who's prefered method of administration is injecting either...not wanting to generalise.
This isn't gospel, i'm just tapping into personal experieces and discussions with friends and loved ones. :)
[ 08 August 2002: Message edited by: samadhi ]

Sydkiwi: to add to samadhi's comment, because speed makes them feel good. If/when you take speed, do you feel happy, energetic, motivated? Same could be said for opiate users who can't get their preferred drug. However, once it is available again I'm not sure they would continue using speed.
I've also come across slow users who just don't like speed at all, preferring benzos if they can't get any opiates.

thanks for letting me no..
I have met a speed junkie b4. at an event. He goes to me Im a speed junkie. I didnt quiet relise wot he ment til he showed me the needle marks :(