Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: 10 yr old in Ecstasy Overdose 16/07/2002

wazza

Bluelighter
Taken from news.com.au
A 10-YEAR-OLD girl, said to be bubbly and popular, died after swallowing a tablet of ecstasy, police suspected last night.
Jade Slack who is believed to be the
youngest person in Britain to die of a drug overdose
Latest world news
Jade Slack was spending the afternoon with a 10-year-old friend at a house close to her home near the historic city of Lancaster in England on Sunday when she began to feel ill.
She was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary where she died yesterday morning.
Jade is the youngest person in Britain to die of a drug overdose.
Police believe they found ecstasy at the house and say a "strong line of inquiry" is that she had taken ecstasy.
Three people, two women and a man aged 18 to 20, were arrested by police after her death.
Detective Superintendent Ian Jones, who is leading the investigation, said the occupants of the house the children visited were known to Jade's friend.
"We have recovered articles from the house and from one of the people in custody," he said.
"We have reason to believe this may be ecstasy.
"While we cannot at this stage confirm that Jade died directly as a result of this, it is obviously a strong line of inquiry."
Supt Jones said the three people were held in custody and would be questioned further today.
Toxicology tests were being carried out to confirm that ecstasy killed Jade.
Supt Jones said while the 10-year-old girl was "a totally untypical victim", it showed "the horror that drugs can effect".
Jade's parents Simon, a milkman, and Beverley were said to be distraught and unable to comment.
A special assembly was held at Jade's primary school yesterday and many children cried on hearing the news.
"Everyone at the school is terribly shocked by the tragic death of Jade at the weekend," said Barbara White, head teacher at Jade's primary school.
"She was a bubbly, popular girl who will be greatly missed by us all.
"Jade was in many of the school sports teams and scored in the last football match.
"She will be remembered for her friendly nature and ready smile."
The school chaplain Reverend Keith Henshall said he had never known a tragedy like this.
Supt Jones said police became aware of Jade's suspected overdose when they received a call that a young girl was being taken to hospital.
"As a result of that, we followed the issues through and it now appears the girl was indeed out with a friend of similar age and together they visited a home which is known to the friend of the girl that has sadly died," he said.
"While they were there, the girl complained of feeling unwell and she was taken to hospital.
"We now believe that she may have taken some drugs at that home, which resulted in her death."
Jade's death comes almost seven years after 15-year-old Anna Wood, of Belrose, died of an ecstasy overdose in Sydney. The teenager became the first person in NSW to die from the party drug.
She had been partying with friends at the Phoenician Club, Broadway, on the night she died.
The club was closed down shortly after her death.
Daily Telegraph
I feel the title is misleading but it is what the media has put up 'to grab attention'.
Anyway, waiting to see what the toxicology tests show.
Comments?
[ 15 July 2002: Message edited by: wazza ]

Amazing how much news can be generated based on just a "suspicion". Somehow I doubt there will be as much comment or even a press correction if the toxicology tests show that she actually died from meningococcal disease or accidentally swallowing rat poison...

First of all it is really unfortunate about her death, when she had so much to look forward to.
But this makes me angry because why cant bpeople be responsible enough with their drugs not to leave them somewhere where a child can get to them.
And if it was the little girls intention to take it, who the hell is sick enough to sell e's to a 10 year old child? This is where the debate comes ina bout dealers jsut trying tomakemomey of anyone, but at the same time its us who keep the dealers going coz in the end we want our drugs.
To me it is a lose lose situatio in the sense that if you are goingto take drugs, you have to be prepared to accept the consequences that may follow - you cant have double standards....sorry, im probably rambling due to lack of sleep

Yep, the media is too quick to associate blame before toxicology results are made public, if she died from drugs, then fair enough, shoot those idiots responsible for giving/dealing/slipping substances, if it was some other cause, shoot the journo who wrote the article.

^^^^^^^^
(Directed at Sinntress)
How the fuck is a dealer supposed to tell the difference between a 10 year old and a 12 year old and a 14 year old and a 16 year old and an 18 year old and where the hell would you draw the line anyway if you were one?
Semantics.
I maintain children shouldn't take drugs of ANY kind, but the only way you can hope to steer them away from it is through education. Its rather stupid to blame a dealer for this tragedy I suppose. That's unhip, sure, but its my opinion.
-plaz out-
[ 16 July 2002: Message edited by: plazma ]

I notice a lot of people are telling me how they are comparing this to the Anna Wood Ectasy overdose. Anna Wood died from Water Intoxciation and the coroners report for her death is at: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_health5.shtml
Not a bad effort from the media, saying how Hewitt is a bad role model for him smoking (did he ask for his photo to be taken and put on the front/back pages of newspapers??) and now this
MISINFORMATION.. A very sarcastic *joy* to that.

You can bet that if it turns out she died of something else then the story won't even be reported again - or at least it won't get a big dramatic headline next time...
Besides that though, I'm not commenting - this article doesn't look reliable enough for me to pass judgement on anyone that was apparantly involved...

But wazza the water intoxication would have not happened if she didn't take any drugs. So as the coronna concludes ectasy did play a LARGE part in her death.

I'm with plaz... don't blame the dealer - blame the people that were suposed to be looking after her at the time... unless of course it comes out that the people that were looking after her were the ones that gave her the pill - in which case, get angry then...
But at the moment this is trial by media so take all the "facts" you have with a grain of salt until the police report is out... and you can bet that if it was an ugly kid then her photo wouldn't have seen the light of day - it's all just to get an emotional reaction, and should be seen as such...

KraZeeY: you are absolutly correct. But wazza's point was that it was not an ecstasy overdose that killed Anna Woods, it was hyponatremia/water intoxication. Which is not the same thing as an overdose.

Plazma, how much drug education do you expect a ten year old to have? I don't think I'd even heard of ecstacy when I was ten years old. Anyone irresponsible enough to give a ten year old drugs (of any kind) should be put in jail.
The article doesn't really give any information on how the girl got the pill (if that is actually what killed her). I think it is quite likely that she may have taken it by accident. I think we can all be reminded by this the importance of keeping drugs in safe places, out of reach of children (and the authorities!).
On a medical note, the LD50 for MDMA would indicated that one pill of MDMA would not be lethal for a child. Assuming that the pill only contained MDMA, would there be any reason why it would be more dangerous for a child?

Bit more information in this article from The Times:
Girl, 10, killed by Ecstasy when she went out to play
The first paragraph says she may have taken up to 5 tablets which I imagine could cause havoc for a 10 year old :(
Girl, 10, killed by Ecstasy when she went out to play
By Russell Jenkins
A GIRL aged ten has become Britain’s youngest victim of Ecstasy. She collapsed and died after taking up to five tablets.
Jade Slack found the drug in a cottage where she had been taken by a friend, also aged ten, to play on Sunday.
Police later arrested two women and a man, all aged between 18 and 20. Detectives were questioning them yesterday about the events that led to Jade’s death. The pills that she took are known as Ferraris because they are stamped with a picture of the sports car.
The tragedy has deeply shocked residents of Galgate. Jade was the daughter of the village milkman and was described by her headmistress as a “very happy, loving and friendly little girl”. She was well known in the village, where she congregated with her friends near the Spar shop.
Villagers said that she had enjoyed an evening of singing and dancing at a talent show at her school, Ellel St John’s primary, on Friday and attended a friend’s birthday party on Saturday.
The following afternoon she was taken to a stone cottage five minutes from her home to play with the occupier’s toddler. Jade, the youngest of three children, collapsed soon after arriving.
It was thought at first that she had found the tablets after complaining of feeling unwell and going upstairs, possibly to lie down. But Detective Superintendent Ian Jones, who is leading the inquiry into her death, said that she complained of feeling unwell after swallowing the suspected Ecstasy tablets. It was unclear where in the house she had found them.
Detectives are also investigating a possible delay by those around Jade in contacting the emergency services. It is understood that her oldest sister, Zara, 17, who was called to the cottage after Jade collapsed, had to find an uncle to take her to hospital, where she died about 6pm.
When police arrived at the house they found it empty. The three adults being questioned were arrested later in Lancaster.
Jade’s parents, Simon and Beverley Slack, said that police had asked them not say anything about Jade’s death.
The Slacks live in a well-kept semi-detached dormer bungalow in Galgate, an unpretentious former mill village on the outskirts of Lancaster. It once boasted one of the last remaining working silk mills in the country but an imposing chimney stack is all that remains.
The rows of weavers’ stone cottages strung out on either side of the A6 are another reminder of the village’s industrial past, but most of the 2,500 residents live in sprawling estates of terraced and semi-detached housing behind the main road. There is a post office, a Spar shop and several pubs.
Galgate is two miles from Bailrigg, the main campus of Lancaster University, and is a popular place for students seeking accommodation.
Yesterday police with dogs checked the Slack family’s home for “anything that might give (Jade) ideas about taking drugs”. Mr Jones added: “Nothing to the detriment of Jade or her family should be read into that.”
The superintendent, who is operations co-ordinator for a scheme to prevent street crime in Lancaster, said: “We have been putting a lot of effort into combating the drugs problem in areas including Lancaster. It’s very sad that, despite all that, we now have this death. Yet again it is an instance of the harm that drugs can do.”
Mr Jones insisted that there was no reason to believe that anyone had given the drugs to Jade. “We have yet to establish how she did take that drug, if indeed she did.”
Forensic science experts spent yesterday examining the two- bedroom cottage, home to a young single mother, where Jade found the tablets.
Lancashire police would not confirm reports that officers had been called to the house three weeks ago after complaints by neighbours. Yesterday, a policewoman stood outside the cottage, where a pram and a pushchair stood in the porch.
A memorial service was held at Jade’s school yesterday. The children were encouraged to recall their former classmate and some drew pictures of her dressed up and dancing on Friday evening. Others remembered her winning every race at the school sports day.
Barbara White, the headmistress, said: “Jade was very popular in school and liked by everybody. She was very into sport and represented the school at rounders, skittleball and football. She was just a lovely little girl.”
After hearing of the tragedy, Hilton Dawson, the MP for Lancaster and Wyre, renewed warnings against downgrading Ecstasy, which is classed alongside cocaine and heroin. He said: “It is very clear there are tremendous dangers associated with the use of Ecstasy. We have seen this from very tragic deaths which have occurred from its use.”
A Home Office reply to a Commons inquiry has said that it would be irresponsible to reclassify Ecstasy. The cross-party Home Affairs Committee said in May that the drug was dangerous and “nothing should be done to imply that the taking of Ecstasy is harmless, legal or socially desirable”.
A Home Office spokesman said: “We still have much to learn about the long-term harm Ecstasy causes. But what we do know is that it can kill unpredictably and there is no such thing as a safe dose. All killer drugs including Ecstasy should remain Class A.”
A spokesman for the charity DrugScope said that if Ecstasy had caused of Jade’s death it would be “the youngest reported case that we are aware of”.

From that second article, it sounds like it was an accident that she found the drugs, but I have to say that I think it's wrong for any dealer to sell drugs to someone without making them fully aware of how much to take, what will happen, etc etc.
Selling 5 pills to a 10 year old and not telling her not to take them all at once would be like selling someone a loaded gun, and not telling them which end the bullets come out of.
You have to wonder what was going through her mind when she took the pills... was she trying to be cool in front of her friend ?
Did she think they were lollies or something ?

It all sounds really suss. I used to hate taking tablets when I was a kid. I doubt she bought them herself tho, unless she had pocket money...
Most likely she found them and thought it'd be cool to take them. Pretty dumb thing to do, even for a kid. Poor little blighter, you wouldn't think a ten year old would have any interest in pills - whatever happened to getting drunk on passion pop behind the school sheds?
Now's probably a good time for everyone to re-assess where you keep your pills & G.

The last two news reports I have heard on the radio have said that a 10 year old girl died from an Ecstasy overdose. Then they have a spokes person on from an Anti Drug group saying that hopefully now people will realise that Ecstasy is a lethal drug that will and has killed a large number of people.
Only being new to Ecstasy and other drugs I have spent a lot of time reading about the drugs I choose to consume. From what I have read on this site and others, I am under the impression that you can't actually overdose on MDMA.
I'm sure this has been asked time and time again, but if you can't overdose on MDMA alone, then why is the media portraying this childs unfortunate death as an Ecstasy overdose?
Is it that the media are hugely misinformed, trying to use scare tactics or am I the one who is wrong?

We can all sit here on bluelight be as logical about it as we want, but the sad fact is that it looks like a 10 year old child is dead, and ecstasy was in some way related. Besides that the actual details of the case are irrelavent really...
The media is going to call it an overdose - that's because the word "overdose" looks good in a headline. The anti-drug people are going to use this death to their advantage - despite the fact that this is one death and people seem to die of all sorts of other unbanned things all the time. These arguements they use will not be rational, but that doesn't matter - the arguement has worked before and will work again - especially with a photo of a sweet looking child to put on their placards...
We all know that there are plenty of other issues and factors to this case - and that the drug probably only part of the blame - but ecstasy culture is going to have to take this one on the chin because as bad as it is that such a sad incident happened - the anti-drug media have just had all their christmases come at once with this story, and they're going to milk it for all it's worth...
So to everyone on bluelight that knows better - don't let this case get you all worked up... :)

You can overdose on ecstacy. It's just hard to do. The lethal dose is somewhere in the order of 100mg/kg (if my memory serves me). You can also have an excessive dose of mdma which can lead to death through the side effects more easily than in an average doseage situation. If the girl took 5 strongish pills in a relatively short time span, and wasn't allowed medical supervision upon feeling unwell, it's no wonder they're labelling this an overdose. Many of us would consider 5 pills over a night excessive for most adult users, let alone a 10 yr old.
As for the anti drug movement, they know that they need to keep providing IRrational motivation to keep the public against drugs. There is nothing more likely to convince someone that drugs are bad than the death of a child. It has the ability to stir emotions in even the most apathetic to the drug issue...
I'd go on, but I have other things to do ;)

eh this is a joke.
Very sad yes, but pathetic the way that the media is portraying it.
She shouldnt have had it, that much is obvious, noone would suggest that a 10 yr old should take a pill, just the same as a 10 yr old shouldnt drink a bottle of vodka or take prescription medicine not intended for them.
The fact remains that she had something she shouldnt have, it could just as easily been rat poison, but because it was ecstasy the media will blow it out of proportion and use it as a tool to make ecstacy look like a lethal drug despite the complete lack of evidence or deaths to support it.
A 10 year old girl died doing something that no sane person would recommend, the fact that ecstasy is involved is pretty muc irrelvant.

i dont understand how a 10yr old girl could *accidently* take 5 pills? its not like they look or taste likes lollies, infact majority of the time they taste like absolute shit so what would be her motivation, that is if she didnt know what she was doing