Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Depressing diet

RobertRollie

Bluelighter
Ok, so Im your regular 20 something male...I eat too much junk food, hardly any fruit or veg.
Lately ive been starting to notice that its taking me longer to recover from nights out, and im not recovering as much. I also find I'm generally more depressed, or just 'blah' about life. I post-load with 5htp when i remember to, but not always.
So what I've been thinking about it that my diet is basicly depressing me....my body is lacking the ingrediants it needs to replace as much serotonin as it would like to and as a result I'm generally unhappy and getting less out of my nights out....
So Ive just gone and ordered a stack of 5-htp. If I start taking it every other day as a dietary supplement is this likely to help me, or is it generally only worth it after ive been out?
Also, other than banana's which i hate, what foods are good for a less depressing diet?

remember the TV ads??? "2 fruit & 5 veg" is a good start.....
A multivitamin supplament like Swisse can boost your overall energy levels, immune system etc.
On a personal note, I suffered severe Glandular fever about 18 months ago - in the 6 months it took me to recover, I would get a cold or flu on average about every 2 weeks, and if I went to a pub/club or similar environment with lots of people, I was guaranteed to get sick again. I started taking Swisse about a year ago & I haven't looked back - I also have not been sick once - not even a minor cold, my energy levels are close to my pre-glandular state.
Also try and cut down on the amount of Carbohydrated that you intake (bread, pasta etc) and eat more proteins (meat, skinless chicken, vegies etc) - this will also promote a healthier body, as too much carbs makes you sluggish.

Sustagen Sport, is the best stuff on earth...
it MUST be sport though, not hospital, or gold, or the generic sustagen..
This reminds me.. I need to get some more

Late into my regular pill dropping days I started looking into my diet and tried to find what could help me bring me out of my bad mood.
I tried eating dinner earlier at night and eating brekfast later. Eat this, but not eat that. Vitamin this and vitamin that. But the thing that made a big, big, big difference was... WATER and plenty of it.
Drinking around 8 glasses of water (not cordial, soft drink, etc..) each day seemed to make my whole body feel fresh and alive.
Since I stopped taking pills I have kept with the change of diet. Unfortunately I have slipped back to my old bad habits of not drinking enough water and consuming too much caffeine. But if I ever get down or start feeling lazy again I know exactly what I will do first.

I don't have much to add, but exercise will increase the benefits of a decent diet and have you feeling much better, much quicker.
:)

To answer the question about 5htp as a general supplement, I'd say that it would be worthwhile taking (say) a 2-4 week course of it and tracking any progress. When i first got my 5htp, I felt quite down in the dumps and the 5htp definately gave me a lift. If you think your general feeling of "blah"ness is directly related to seretonin, this would definately be worth a try.
In terms of general wellbeing, I'd agree with the suggestion to increase water intake, and grab some multi vitamins.. I'd suggest a liver tonic as well. of course for the liver tonic to work to the best it can, you'd have to make sure you drink around 6-8 glasses of water (if not more)
Good liver tonic? Milk Thistle. My fav being the Blackmores one.

Also try and cut down on the amount of Carbohydrated that you intake (bread, pasta etc) and eat more proteins (meat, skinless chicken, vegies etc) - this will also promote a healthier body, as too much carbs makes you sluggish.
Actually carbohydrates do help you produce serotonin, so don't cut down too much. This was in an exam, but I can't tell you why because I don't know if I got the question right!! Try to eat wholegrain carbs like brown rice.

Fruit. While I agree with everyone about the benefits of 5-HTP and vitamin supplements, fruit is also an essential part of my recovery routine. Fruit whips or smoothies the day after when I don't feel like eating much, plus things like melon in the fridge...delicious and easy with the added bonus of feeling virtuous about eating healthy :)

Spirulina fruit cocktails. Post load. Vitamin C is all good. and DLPA 500mg which you can get from any health food shop. Plus any food which is high in Tryptophan, like Turkey meat; as per the earlier post.
Also upping time between dropping helps... a lot. Depression sucks but nowhere as much as good lollies doing sweet F.A.

As most of us are aware of, what you eat will play an important role in the way you feel. Coupled with a lack of exercise and illict drug consumption all paving a path to an unhealthy body.
I've noticed most advice offered to be diet related and illicit drug consumption having been over looked. Perhaps drug consumption is at fault here, although not knowing you well or your previous history both at a pre and post drug use level. i cant comment any further but perhaps looking to other factors rather than just blaming poor diet on your current well being, would be worth looking at.

I suffer from depression, and you can really tell when things are going to go bad when it takes you two weeks to recover from a weekend out, and you are almost catatonic for those 2 weeks! But!...(short of taking antidepressants)
here are things I have found to help with getting your body out of depression/fatigue/general ickiness:
1)excersize: I used to power walk or rollerblade 4-5kms every day going to work and back, then i stopped and i felt like shit! i needed to have naps all the time and i just felt terrible! i also found that i couldnt stay up as late, slept in too much and drugs wouldnt work as well as when i had been doing alot of excersize. (when i was extra extra fit, i could take one pill and i would be peaking very hard for almost 8 hours!) Ive started up again and im feeling alot better! Keep yourself active, especially if your diet isnt so crash hot! every little bit counts!
2)Take time out for YOU! It may sound selfish, but if you are stressed to the max, got huge amounts of shit to do, coming down and generally feeling like curling up in a ball, and someone asks you a favour, and it isnt a life or death situation and you really really cant be arsed doing it anyways, tell them! You cant do everything for everyone all the time, and digging yourself into a hole because you are doesnt help! Taking drugs and partying just adds to the deepness of the hole. Ive been there, ive done that, i'll do it many times over again. I get this advice given to me all the time, someone please heed it! hehehe :)
3)if you cant be arsed cooking every night, then cook something really big on the weekend and eat it with different foods during the week. something light, but filling, that you can eat with rice or pasta or salad or on a roll, or just munch on its own. Stuff like pasties or samosas or burritos are good too. If you make a huge lasagne, you can freeze it for eating later. Its a good way to keep yourself eating healthy foods which have the nutrients you need to keep the human machine working. Maccas does not a healthy human make!
4)if you dont eat fruit or veges, then at least drink some juice or eat dried fruit. Juice rocks and makes you feel alot better cos of all the sugar, just dont drink too much as tummys dont like it! If you want to drink your veges, get the ingredients for a bloody mary, use V8 vege juice instead of tomato juice, most ppl hate V8, but it makes a kick arse bloody mary!
5)MEGAMULTI's. I live on these. They are the best thing for the weekday blues since weekends. cenovis megamulti's are pretty good, and also centrum. If you can get your hands on vitamin c with echinacea, its a good idea to take them, because it boosts your immune system, and even a mildly depressed state can weaken your immune system. nothing is worse than coming down, feeling depressed and having the flu.
Just take care of yourself and your body will take care of you.
I think im having a great night for rambling on... please excuse me :)
Andromeda :)

Eating well balanced meals -- i.e. with good ratios of carbs, protein, and fat, in addition to making sure you get all your vitamins and minerals by eating fruits and vegetables -- will do much to improve your mood and maintain your energy levels throughout the day.
In particular, making sure you get enough protein (and aren't just consuming carbs/sugar, esp refined carbs and sugar)with each meal will boost your energy. If your diet is too carb/sugar heavy then your blood sugar fluctuates up and down -- so you get a sugar high after eating but then you crash and burn a couple hours later.

Originally posted by Andromeda:
If you can get your hands on vitamin c with echinacea, its a good idea to take them, because it boosts your immune system, and even a mildly depressed state can weaken your immune system. nothing is worse than coming down, feeling depressed and having the flu.

Just a warning on echinacea. Don't take it too regularly as too much can have a negative impact on your immune system.
I went through a period where my health needed any boost it could get but because I took echinacea too often it made me quite ill.
Subsequently I gave up the pills hardcore and at was tough. As a result, my health has been on the improve ever since.

from seeing you in action RR, at various events im not entirely surprised to see this post.
i think that all of the advice in this thread is quite sound indeed but ill just add my 2c
get a calendar for the last few months, lets say six months..
mark down the nights where you have gone out and taken various drugs and map the timeframe that it generally takes you to recover and make sure you have nice long breaks between nights that you roll round rolled round.
i think that mr giggles is quite right with looking at things other than diet as your recreational drug use is most likely is the cause.
i have theories on this as well you wanna talk icq me
thEophillus......

Originally posted by Raving Loony:

Just a warning on echinacea. Don't take it too regularly as too much can have a negative impact on your immune system.

Does anyone have any further information to back this up? I've been told that Ecchinacea is a great thing to add to your daily vitamin regime, all the time.

Don't eat processed foods, eat those veges uncooked and unpeeled I say!

Echinacea only works if you take it all the time; it boosts your immune system when you take it regularly. Problem comes if you use it to try and get rid of the flu or if you take it regularly and then stop. Your immune system can be overwhelmed in such cases.
I've not heard of Echinacea being detrimental to your health or immune system but I can see if you take it regularly to boost your defences and then stop taking them how your defences could be lowered and you may be at greater risk of becoming ill. If anyone with a better medical knowledge can tell me otherwise I'd be interested to know :)