Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Adverse Reactions to Valium/Opiates/Painkillers - help needed

Hamlet

Bluelighter
hi everyone.
i had a couple bad things happen to me with the chemicals in question and i really want to try and get some answers (i am also going to see my doctor about this asap)...
CASE 1: a while ago i tried some morphine. i had a 25mg dose (snorted) on a full stomach. it was on just a normal night without any other drugs before or after it and about an hour after i had it i started to get REALLY REALLY bad pains in my chest/stomach area. they came on in waves (pain present for about an 20 mins and then i'd be fine for 20mins) and increasingly got worse with every wave of pain. i really didnt know what to do as the pain at the worst points (i assume this was some kind of peak) was totally unbearable, i was sweating profusely holding on to my bed with all my power and felt very very nauseous result of which i threw up twice. it was strange because the pain would be almost unbearable and then it would stop for a while and i'd be fine!!! then it would come back. from where i understand my liver to be (correct me if im wrong) right hand side under the ribs sort of...the pain was the worst! this all lasted max of three hours (in which i ALMOST got Horsey to take me to the hospital...) afterwards i fell asleep and was pretty fine the next day.
i havent had morphine since.
CASE 2: after and before the morphine experience i had valium in quite large doses anywhere up to 15mg and all was fine. then i had some panadeine forte (i had a bad headache...so i thought why not?!) forgetting that it had codeine in it (which i understand turns to morphine in the body?). now i have had codeine plenty of times b4 the morphine incident and in larger doses than one panadeine forte and never had a problem with it. on this occasion though a very similar thing happened to that like with morphine except slightly weaker pain and i didnt throw up, as soon as i felt the same pain as morphine and remembered that codeine is v similar to morphine so i drank about 7 glasses of water and i think that helped dilute the codeine.
i havent had codeine since.
CASE 2: three days ago i put my back out pretty badly so i took some painkillers (vioxx - active ingreedient rofecoxib, MSD 12.5 mg - no idea what it is mum gave it to me) and again i got a similar pain to the previous two times, again not as bad.
CASE 3: now this one is what disturbs me the most...cos this drug is a safety net for me. yesterday i woke up with an even worse back (still related to the case 2) and i thought FUCK IT...i have to study today...i cant put up with this...i had 5mg diazepam (valium) first thing in the morning (on an empty stomach..but i have had it on an empty stomach plenty of times after parties) and then had breakfast. i started feeling sick and the same pain came back REALLY badly...whenever i tried to eat anything all day i threw it up (five times in total) and then pain in my liver area was unbearable. it would calm down after i'd throw up and i would foolishly drink some water thinking that it would flush it out of my system. however it seemed that my digestive system had just stopped working, nothing helped and i threw up the water and everything else. it lasted for about 16 hrs (fucked up!) and from what i understand the full life of valium can be up to 16 hrs...this time i also tried quickeze and that didnt help either...
sorry to go on about this for so long but im really concerned about what the situation is and if there might be something wrong with me/ my liver...i know this chems arent supposed to be had in the first place, but they;re all pharmaceuticals, and i couldnt find anywhere that mentions the above reactions as side effects to these drugs...so any help, links, words of advice or experiences or even how valium in particular should be taken in regard with food would be very welcome and helpful.
another strange thing is that they appear to be in three separate chemical groups so its weird that they produce the same effect.
thanks in advance guys,
z.

Sorry I can't really be of much help, I am no doctor, but if you are experiencing this and/or yellowing of eyes or skin, you should stop taking any medication like this and see your doctor ASAP.

Like Splatt I'm no doctor... But I'd hazard a guess that this is more than an adverse reaction to valium, opiates and painkillers... It sounds like you've developed a serious liver problem :\
Does your body react the same way to MDMA? What happens when you drink?
Once you've been to the doctor, please come back and tell us what's going on, we would all value your experience... :)
[ 23 June 2002: Message edited by: apollo ]

Hamlet- Morphine and Codeine are not known for causing the type of pain you mention. However,they are said to be toxic to the liver if you abuse them for too long or take them when you have a pre-existing liver complaint.
Valium is quite safe to take with or without food. It is possible for it to cause gastro-intestinal disturbances in some people but apparently this is rare.
This is just a guess but it's possible that you might have a peptic ulcer which is causing you pain. Or it may be a liver problem as you said. Ask your Doc to do some Liver Function Tests. In the meantime stay away from Vioxx until you know what's wrong with you. This is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)which should never be taken without food and is bad news on peptic ulcers and other similar stomach conditions. Anyone who's ever taken NSAID's on an empty stomach will know it causes horrible nausea and pain.
You may have already considered this, but be careful what you say to your Doc about your recreational use of morphine and codeine. Some doctors can be very resentful of this and may label you as a drug-seeker. If you ever need it in the future for your back pain, it'll be much harder to get it prescribed to you. Good luck, hope your condition isn't serious.

Nausea and vomiting are common reactions to opiate drugs, especially in new users. Opiates are potent painkillers. Morphine and codeine are both opiates, morphine being much stronger than codeine.
Valium is not a painkiller and won't relieve sore backs.
None of these drugs should actually cause pain.
You need to see a doctor about the pain and contrary to what's said above you should tell your doctor exactly what you've taken. You can't expect someone to put a jigsaw puzzle together if half the pieces are missing.
By the way, opiates are not toxic to the liver. However, in your case, if you persisted in taking opiates for recreation after what you've experienced, you'd have to be asking yourself some serious questions...

D&AWg- I wasn't advising Hamlet to NOT tell his Doc about the Morphine and Codeine. I simply said be careful. It's not the best idea to walk into a GP's rooms and fess up about opiate use from the outset unless you really have to. As you yourself said, they don't cause pain in themselves. So why mention that you've been taking them until everything else has been ruled out? That'll probably just get him a lecture about the evils of opiate use before anything else rather than the tests he needs to find out what's causing his pain. Some doctors are great but a lot are not as objective and non-judgemental as they perhaps should be. I say that as both an ex-opiate abuser and as a health professional myself.
Also if you read my post again you'll see that I wrote that opiates are said to be toxic to the liver if abused for too long or taken when you have a pre-existing liver complaint, not "opiates are toxic to the liver". There is a difference.

Rayda - I think you make a very good point about some doctors. Undoubtedly some are judgmental and not all GPs are as well informed about recreational drug use as they should be. However, patients of such doctors have the right to vote with their feet and find themselves another doctor who is respectful and understanding.
You yourself refer to opiate use and opiate abuse - I think it's good to make this distinction, and I'd like to suggest that the difference lies in whether the drug use causes significant harm or whether harm is minimised.
A good health professional has a duty of care both to respect their client and to minimise harm. There are both good things and bad things about drugs. If a client is harming themself through their drug use the health professional needs to question this with respect, and get the client to look carefully at what they are doing. Health professionals can't carry out this duty effectively if important facts about opiate use are being concealed. It's a two-way street.
Where, as in this case, someone is experiencing serious pain immediately after taking opiates, with all due respect I really can't agree that they should conceal this until, as you say, everything else is ruled out. Rule out the most likely thing first!
Concerning opiates and liver toxicity, many thousands of people with liver damage take methadone daily for years without ruining their livers - a large proportion of methadone clients have Hepatitis C. In fact, liver transplants are performed on methadone-maintained people who have liver damage from Hep C or from alcohol abuse. This is a very serious operation and yet there is no need to take the person off methadone first. On the other hand, people with ruined livers who continue to abuse alcohol will not be given the operation as this is considered too risky...

little update...
yeh he was very sick, nothing to do with the pain killers, but they helped cause pain because of something else.
I will leave it up to him to finish the story once he's better.
hope u get better z :)

Oh my, I have had almost the same experience regarding morphine and codiene and have had a few talks to BigTrancer about this..
Last time I took a panadeine forte (9 years ago) I crippled down in pain BIG TIME (more so than for the original reason of slightly being in pain due to a smashed ankle)
I was in hopsital 1.5yrs ago and had morphine to calm me down after the operation but it simply did not stop the pain _AT ALL_. I got high from the morphine but no pain relieving properties happened at all..
thats my little story. Just curious if there is more of 'us' out there?

Problems with panadeine or panadeine forte might be caused by the paracetamol rather than the codeine.
If there is some liver dysfunction already paracetamol would be a big no-no. It might cause pain, but I'm not sure about that.

well...as it turns out it had nothing to do with the painkillers and morphine (or so the doctors say)...
the problem was my gall bladder which had stones in it and these stones were getting out and blocking the tube leading away from the liver and making the liver inflamed (hence the jaundice) and resulting in the liver not processing things which are very difficult to process (morphine, codeine) properly and causing pain.
i was in hospital for 8 days and only got out today without my gall bladder however and without any stones. they performed two operations and got lots of stuff out. i told them about my lifestyle and they (the doctors) all agreed that it had nothing with the gall stones, they were under the impression that it was all hereditary which is why i got them at such young age.
thanks all for your replies, all that is left now is to recover...
z.

Glad to hear you are OK. I replied to the copy of this in Health, and I had my money on gallstones. So to speak.
*goes to the TAB to cash in on the gallstones*
:)

hehe...thanks everyone...all seems to be good now...cept i dont have a gall bladder! :)
z.