Votes: 1 20.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Wordswords

Bluelighter
This is the movie I am most anticipating this year.

Terrence Malick, the director, is a true cinema visionary.

the-tree-of-life-movie-poster.jpg

trailer

yeah, i've been looking forward to this, but if his last couple of works is anything to go by (thin red line and that pocahontis one), this won't be for the impatient.

Wow, the trailer was enough to intrigue me.. this looks amazing, can't wait.

As it does not appear to have much footage of Mr. Pitt sans-shirt, I don't see any (other) reason to look forward to this?

the-tree-of-life-trailer.jpg

apparently, there will be "long, lingering" shots of dinosaurs in Terrence Malicks' 'The Tree Of Life'

“We’re just starting work on a project for Terrence Malick, animating dinosaurs, the film is The Tree of Life. It’ll be shooting in IMAX—so the dinosaurs will actually be life size — and the shots of the creatures will be long and lingering.” – Visual Effects artist Mike Fink (X2, Mars Attacks, Project X)

http://www.slashfilm.com/terrence-malicks-tree-of-life-with-sean-penn-features-dinosaurs-imax-release/

it's also receiving comparisons to Darren Aronofskys' 'The Fountain' and that happens to be my favorite film.
i'm getting really excited about this one. :)

it's also receiving comparisons to Darren Aronofskys' 'The Fountain' and that happens to be my favorite film.

my mind can't comprehend how the fountain is someone's favourite film :!

ontopic, im getting super hyped for when this gets released :D

I think that the story is an ingenious concept, the special effects are unique, awe-inspiring and very well executed; the acting is, regardless of how idiosyncratically imperfect, poignant, compelling, and sincere.

the tree of life is definitely going to be visually stunning. can't wait :D

My sentiments exactly.
I tried to enjoy The Fountain but couldn't see it as anything as more than aload of tripe.

That aside, this particular film does look good.

Sorry to join the group that is pissing in The Fountain, Jamshyd. You're one of my favorite bluelighters and I know you love The Fountain. I hated it. Maybe I need to watch it again like I had to with Fight Club. It just seemed so damned pretentious to me though. I've tried to watch it in its entirety four times and failed. So, maybe I keep missing that golden moment that makes women want it and men want to be it. Regardless, I'll watch this movie.

Awesome! The Fountain is also one of my favorite movies of all time.. initially it didn't leave much of an impact on me, it wasn't until a couple of years later that i was able to grasp the depth of the concept that was been conveyed and was blown away.

has anyone seen this yet? I plan on seeing it this weekend

the consensus seems to be that people love it or hate it, but many agree that it is a masterpiece

heres some funny excerpts from reviews i read on IMDB

the good:
(ten stars)
"The first thing to say about 'The Tree of Life' is that it is ESSENTIAL VIEWING for anyone who believes that the cinema is a great art, and an early front-runner for 'Film of the Decade'."

the bad:
(one star)
"One of the most pretentious pieces of pseudo-intellectual garbage I have ever seen. The photography is great, however that is not what a film is about. The whole film turns around a guy and his relation with is father and the burden of his brother's death. really simple story, with no need for mental masturbation over two and one half hours"

I found the undercurrent of American Christianity to be distracting, although I accept that it was predominant around that period of time. The movie is beautiful but the "film" story, plot whatever is not there, the family drama is too ambiguous to have any meaning, and with the layer of Christian archetypes provides it provides the sense that ..."well this isn't really me." A sense of disconnection that I don't think the director was going for. Not really American boomer generation.

Although seeing this movie on halluncinogens would be exciting. :D

IMDB
the bad:
(one star)
"One of the most pretentious pieces of pseudo-intellectual garbage I have ever seen. The photography is great, however that is not what a film is about. The whole film turns around a guy and his relation with is father and the burden of his brother's death. really simple story, with no need for mental masturbation over two and one half hours"

this is what i was worried about - that, and which theory of the ToL they used, seeing Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, i have more faith that a Qabalah ToL story schematic is the basis. ill wait for the DVD and more reviews, though...

" To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an Hour. "
William Blake

Kochma / Aleph

gotta see it in a theatre, but it is a very trying endurance. cinema view is essential for whatever little dialogue there is, mainly to create an impression, much like the photography and editing, it is really quiet and you need an awesome sound system to have a chance at catching anything. stunning film, but i can't lie and say i wasn't wtf'ing through most of it.

3.5.5 (voted 4)

Apparently nobody told Terrence Malick that the 1970s ended. He even got Douglas Trumball out of retirement to create the jaw dropping special effects sequence that sets the tone for the film. Questionably rendered dinosaurs aside, that silent visual poem depicting the birth of the universe was one of the most profound cinematic experiences I have ever been a part of. It was powerful and moving and brilliantly made without using hardly any CGI. This movie is an absolute throwback to the artistic golden age of Hollywood, when movie theaters were awash with the visionary genius of directors like Nicolas Roeg, Stanley Kubrick and the man himself, Terrence Malick, who plopped out a pair of masterpieces and then vanished for two decades before coming back with stupendously bad timing and making a World War 2 epic that had to compete with the far more accessible and crowd-pleasing Saving Private Ryan.

Now Malick is the Last of the Auteurs. Given the current structure of the industry, films like this just don't get made, as evidenced by the amount of hoops the movie had to jump through to find a distributor... compounded by the fact that Malick took forever and a day and blew several deadlines trying to perfect his vision. He's a true artist in that respect. Unfortunately, there's nothing investors and executives hate more than a true artist, because they are hugely unprofitable. On the plus side, Europeans like incomprehensible art house films so much that The Tree of Life snagged the top award at Cannes and it looks like Malick can vanish again on a high note if he wants to.

As for the film itself, I think it is Brad Pitt's best work as an actor. I think that the cinematography is extraordinary - as someone else pointed out, and as the promotional poster above demonstrates, you could pick just about any frame from this film, blow it up and it would be an extraordinary piece of art. I loved the easy naturalism between the boys. I love the quick cuts, the frantic pump of life, the lyricism, the silences and the score, the shadows, the way he shoots natural light and trees and insects and birds. The voice-overs are a toss-up. You can't have Malick without voice-overs, it’s a package deal. Days of Heaven was two hours of beautiful visual cinema while Richard Gere grumbled inaudibly in the background and slept in a pile of hay. Personally I find it very hard to listen to voice-overs because I can't concentrate on what is being said, but the doubts, the prayers and the questions whispered into the Void achieved a nice aesthetic effect. But I also think his films are at their best when they are wordless.

I did not like the ending. I probably need to watch it again, but I thought it was lame. Movies like this always walk a fine line between genius and pretension. The ending crossed over into pompous self-absorbed surrealist territory for me and was hoping Malick would go in a different direction. I also thought, from a narrative perspective, that he dwelt on the home life too much. This film was at its mesmerizing best when it was just a beautifully scored, wordless visual journey - it was able to capture something of the inexpressible magnitude of life, the universe and everything in it during those sequences. I thought it bogged down a bit focusing on the family life too much. I was hoping for some more Big Bangs with operatic vocals.

Plenty of people will hate this movie for being a piece of art house trash. Others will call it a masterpiece. But one thing you cannot deny is that it is a beautiful, bold vision and the great thing about art is that we can all be right.

^i preferred the home based stuff actually. the emphasis of the masculine and femenine (despite the questionable links to the nature and grace) was wonderful in that family's reality. and damned real it was. despite many too many shots of pitt just looking beyond the camera into nothing, a very common malick bit, i agree his acting was top notch. he really became that role.

and yeah that ending :\

This was so christian and American it made me sick, rarely does a film make me hate it so much I have to stop watching.

I love weird art house films but this was a nicely dressed sermon with big name actors pretending to be art because of the nice colours.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...ruginosa-4.5g)-Veteran-quot-Revelations.-quot

The best film I have ever seen, without question. Five stars. That's five point zero zero zero zero. Not five rounded up from four point eight. I give it a thousand out of a thousand.

Mysterie said:
One of the most pretentious pieces of pseudo-intellectual garbage I have ever seen. The photography is great, however that is not what a film is about. The whole film turns around a guy and his relation with is father and the burden of his brother's death. really simple story, with no need for mental masturbation over two and one half hours.

It is utterly lacking in pretention. It is the least pretentious film I have ever seen. There was no "mental masturbation." Despite the fact that the plot was simple, the film was extraordinarily complex and ambitious. It certainly takes a little bit of patience to appreciate, but that doesn't make it pretentious. The characters and the relationships between the characters are developed purposefully and methodically. The use of juxtaposition is unsurpassed.

This film has to be long, because it doesn't attempt to condense time. That is, there is no effort to maximize the effectiveness of screen time in order to cater to audiences with limited attention spans; Malick has too much integrity to do so. Sometimes cinematic art overlaps with entertainment. "The Tree of Life," doesn't IMO. There is no difference between spending two and a half hours watching this film or gazing at a painting.

Unfortunately, it's been proven through exhaustive market research that the majority of western audiences start to lose patience after an hour and a half, so film-makers are agressively encouraged to write scripts with a certain number of pages and/or cut down their finished products into one large digestable chunk. Personally I find the whole 90 minute thing to be a little robotic, and destructive in terms of cinema as an artform.

"The Tree of Life" is superior to "2001: A Space Odyssey" in every way imagineable. It is a magnificent film; a flawless artistic accomplishment. Those who don't have the patience to appreciate it are missing out.

Last edited: