• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

XANAX vs VALIUM for heroin withdrawl?? Need opinion

Valium, start with 5mg and work your way up if needed. Most people will need to start at 10mg but I know nothing about your past benzo usage and/or your heroin usage.

The reason I recommend Valium (diazepam) is because it is much longer-lasting than Xanax (alprazolam) and therefore you have to dose less often and there isn't the problem of rebound anxiety between doses, which is a common problem with Xanax and other short-acting benzos.

Either one would work, however.

Thanks.. Ive got both.. I was thinking the same thing..

Ive got a lil suboxone but its not taking the edge all the way off...

Im on day 2..

use valium during the day and xanax for sleep..
just my .02 since you say you have both.

Diazepam (Valium) is the standard drug used in opiate detox. The protocol drugs for heroin or any opioid withdrawal is 800 mg ibuprofen, 0.1 mg clonidine (usually taken 2 at a time), and 10 mg Valium. This is what they give you at any detox facility you go to.

If you are allergic to diazepam (which is very rare), they give chlordiazepoxide (Librium) in the United States. In Canada, if you are allergic to diazepam, you get 10 mg nitrazepam (Mogadon) instead.

Go with Diazepam. When I went to rehab for opiate withdrawal I was administered 20mg of Valium every 4 hours. You don't need to take it that often but that is what the hospitals do. Its long half life makes it ideal. So does its powerful muscle relaxant qualities. I was also given Immodium which you should take.

You have both, so I'd use both. Take the diazepam throughout the day, maybe 10 mg every 4 or 6 hours. That is quite a bit of diazepam, but if you are in the middle of heroin withdrawal, that much sedation is probably a good thing. I'd take the alprazolam when you want to sleep, maybe 0.75 mg - 1 mg. 1 mg alprazolam for someone with no benzo tolerance should pack a "punch" so to speak, and hopefully put you to sleep along with the diazepam. As you build up diazepam and its active metabolites in your system, you will become more effected by the drug. An initial 10 mg diazepam might not feel like to much, but diazepam really builds up. It will definitely help with sleep, too. The diazepam I'd use for general sedation, and comfort round-the-clock until the wd symptoms subside, and the alprazolam to kind of "knock you out". Diazepam will really ease all of the symptoms better than alprazolam would, I'd think. Alprazolam of course, has its place. I am giving these recommendations assuming you have no benzo tolerance, and want to be rather sedated for this, and that you have an ample supply of diazepam and alprazolam to work with. Hope this helps some.

You have both, so I'd use both.

Stick with the diazepam and use the alprazolam if you really really need it. Tolerance to alprazolam grows quite rapidly, Alex000 is right, you will be quite sedated, but at least you won't have anxiety.

A word of caution: Benzos are addictive just like opiates are, for some people benzos are even more addictive. So use the dosage you need to feel comfortable, anxiety-free and are getting sleep but don't take more. Good luck man :)

definately something like valium or oxazepam, something with a long half life for constant relief... 10mg to 15mg (depending on ur size and/or tolerance) 4 times a day should be loads.... but it won't get rid of your WD's, it will relieve ur anxiety though

Valium, Loperamide, and Aleve or Advil and you'll feel alot better, at least this combo helped me the most if you don't have subs.