Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Drugs sold openly in cafe 17/06/2002

wazza

Bluelighter
THE lunchtime trade at the Karma Cafe was booming last Wednesday. The tables were packed and at the counter, customers queued to get their orders in.
To one side of the counter, next to the coffee machine, the busy staff took requests for cafe lattes, chicken sandwiches and mineral water. And on the other, they sold cannabis.
Almost three years to the day after being exposed by The Sunday Telegraph for selling drugs, the coffee shop was back to its old tricks.
"New name, same business," as one member of staff remarked.
And if last week is anything to go by, business is booming.
When the cafe was originally exposed in June 1999, then Police Minister Paul Whelan promised to review laws in order to allow police to prosecute not just the individuals involved in dealing, but the
premises as well.
However, the legislation has remained unchanged and the illegal trade continues unchecked.
In recent months, police in Kings Cross have carried out several high- visibility operations against drug dealers, using sniffer dogs to patrol local pubs and clubs.
However, this operation is going on right under their noses.
At first glance the small Roslyn St cafe is no different from any of Sydney's coffee shops. Neat and clean, its large windows make it an ideal place to watch the colourful life of the Cross saunter past.
To the casual observer last week, it may have felt more like Starbucks than one of the famous Dutch coffee houses that it's predecessor based itself upon.
Lunchtime customers chatted idly, drinking coffee and eating sandwiches, while a Led Zeppelin album played in the background. Magazines and newspapers were stacked tidily on a book shelf.
Signs that the cafe has other interests are there, however, with old Cafe Amsterdam signs decorating one wall, and after a while the additional trade the cafe is doing becomes obvious.
In little over an hour, a reporter from The Sunday Telegraph saw evidence of at least four drug deals over the counter. One by one, customers with no clear interest in the menu came in, standing in the narrow gap between the counter and the till.
They made their orders in low voices next to the cake stand.
"Just a 25, thanks," one was heard to say to the blonde waiter.
First was a bearded man with a ponytail in his late 40s. Next came a younger man in a brown leather jacket. A couple then walked in and enjoyed a chocolate ice drink after making their purchase.
Shortly afterwards, a man in his 20s came in, went to the counter and sat down a few minutes later at one of the tables, placing a see-through bag of what appeared to be cannabis in full view of customers and staff.
The man then began to painstakingly construct a cannabis cigarette, before joining in a conversation on drugs with the couple at the neighbouring table.
"Is it decriminalised like it is in Adelaide?" asked the woman, referring to South Australia's relaxed drug laws.
The man with the joint revealed he has previously been cautioned by the police after being caught with cannabis.
"Put it in your sock," advised the other man.
"It's a pretty cool arrangement," the man remarked as he lit up the cannabis.
"Especially if you want to get on it during the day."
However, after several minutes of smoking the waiter spotted him and became agitated: "Mate, you can't actually smoke it in here anymore," he told the customer.
"It's not the Amsterdam anymore. Just go round the corner."
The customer apologised, and left the cafe, saying he had not been there for several months.
The operation is certainly not as open as before, when customers were actively offered drugs and people smoked openly within the cafe. Gone, for example, is the sign which used to hang in the window saying: "What a great joint."
But, to those who knew what they were looking for it was very much business as usual.
Last week, two staff members from The Sunday Telegraph were able to purchase two bags of marijuana over the counter.
In June 2000, NSW police did apply to have the premises declared "a disorderly house", which would have granted officers the right to enter and search the cafe without a warrant.
However, the case was abandoned in April last year after the police and the building's owners, Bernd Rosenberg and Josef Zangerl, came to an agreement.
However, a title search of the property reveals the cafe's lease is still held by Editha Ziric, the previous owner of Cafe Amsterdam.
Mrs Ziric was convicted in 1998 of possessing cash suspected of being the proceeds of crime and was fined $250. Her husband Michael was sentenced to seven months weekend jail in 1999 for supplying a prohibited drug at the cafe.
Cannabis is the most widely used drug in Australia, according to a National Drug Household Survey.
About 39 per cent of people reported using marijuana at some time, with 18 per cent having used it in the past 12 months.
But a recent survey revealed 60 per cent of Australians still believe the drug should remain illegal.
Supplying cannabis carries stiff maximum jail sentences. Under the law, even selling small amounts can theoretically earn a maximum 10-year jail offence. Anyone caught selling marijuana to a person under 16 faces a maximum 25 year jail sentence.
Sunday Telegraph
Comments?

It certainly is a bold move to continue trading following the past arrest. Not being aware of this place before, I was reminded of The Rai**** Cafe in Nimbin. These guys have been allowing joints to be smoked for years, and recently they too sold dope. Why wouldn't they, you can't even park the car in the main street without someone offering you something.
Perhaps this is to be the strategy of the very brave pro-reformers of the future. To keep continuous pressure on law makers, and push the subject further in the faces of those who oppose legislation.
Am I recalling correctly or did cafes in Amsterdam initially started like this, by defying then existing laws?

Its wonderful to see that there are some real brave souls that are willing to put there nuts on the line for what they believe in. sure it may not be world peace but its a fight for personal freedom.

Yes phase dancer you are recalling correctly, although the dutch have always been known for their tolerance.
In brisbane there is nothing quite like that yet, however many of the universities have clubs for stoners. Up untill recently UQ's High society was operating very publicly on the university grounds. It used to be a well organised club, with events, planned protests etc and a hierachy, but had gradually evolved into a market to buy and sell dope. They weren't entirely ignored by the police, but because it is private property the uni was informed of any raids, and would in turn let the clup president know. There were also people walking around with whistles watching for any approaching cops.
At least that happened when it was all organised. About a month ago the cops rolled up and carted the marjority of sellers away. I know its back on, but a fair bit smaller. They will be ignored for awhile but eventually grow huge again with 300+ people going through and a crowd sitting and smoking and the cops will be back. I think the cops will ignore anything as long as they are getting no complaints - when you have kids wagging school to go and score every week there is bound to be trouble.
When people realise that a free market in weed isn't going to erode the fabric of society they will stop allowing their tax dollars to be pissed away on a useless campaign.

and an update about this...
Paper 'compromised drug op'
POLICE have announced the arrest of a man for allegedly using a Kings
Cross cafe to sell drugs, but then lashed out at a Sydney newspaper which "compromised" an undercover operation.
Last weekend's Sunday Telegraph ran a front page story on the inner-city cafe, saying it was a simple matter to just walk in and buy cannabis over the counter.
Police said today that, as a result of several months of undercover investigations into businesses allegedly selling more than just coffee and cake, a 42-year- old Pyrmont man had been arrested and charged with seven counts of supplying a prohibited drug.
He was refused bail and will appear at Central Local Court this morning.
Announcing the arrest, Kings Cross Superintendent Dave Darcy took a swipe at the Sunday Telegraph, saying some dealers could have got away because the paper had blown the story.
"It was unfortunate and a little disappointing that one media outlet decided to run this story supposedly in the public interest," he said.
"We have had undercover police working on this inquiry since March of this year and the story on Sunday severely compromised the outcome of their investigations.
"It will now be difficult to locate a number of those identified as being in this drug operation."

There's a place in Melbourne that's exactly the same. *. They have "changed owners" several times in the past 20 years or so as I beleive they have been caugt by cops, but they keep opening and selling shit.
The current set up has been there for at least 6 - 7 years and I guess they must have a deal going with the cops cause it's so obvious what they do.
You just come in ask for a 20 or a 50 bag, drop the cash over the counter and take a seat, they then call u back in a minute and slip it into your hand (that's what happened when I bought from there)
I don't smoke anymore so I don't give a shit if they close down. In fact I hope they do cause there's always low life's hanging around the front and they shit me.
[Edit: Unnecessary information deleted. NO SOURCES. BigTrancer]
[ 18 June 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

From what they said on the news tonight, looks like this place ins't going to be doing business any longer.

What is it with cafes and corner shops? The corner shop/takeaway just down the street from where i live was busted last week, the owners of the shop had been selling smack over the counter!
I guess milk, bread and coffee isnt the only thing you can pick up at your friendly cafe/corner store these days! ;)
Andromeda :)

LMFAO My friends told me about this caf a couple of years ago but i thought "oh yeah right like its that open.....ha ha ha"I guess they weren't joking then....far out.
On the same sorta topic theres quite a few pubs in Melbz that openly sell pot but theres no way you could smoke it in there...in fact they want you to leave as quick as possible,nice pot though.....very nice ;)

i had smoked in that cafe, back when it was the amsterdam. it was wicked :) . unfortunately it appears that - although there was never any trouble there and it prevented ppl from buying form shitty street dealers, i guess it was such a huge threat to society that they had to be closed... wankers.
side note - as you might expect, they did absofuckenlutely AMAZING cakes... :D

This seems like a good way to "vote" for relaxing the laws on pot. Keeping people away from shitty street dealers prevents people who have little or no self control (me!) from being tempted towards other things.
A few years ago there were a couple of pizza places which employed members of the younger generation who would deliver, along with the supreme with BBQ base, a $25 or $50 bag of herbal delights.
Very handy for a smoke and a munch, especially for people as lazy as we were. :)
Not sure if they're still doing it. It's been a while and I don't really like pot any more.