Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Nurofen+ (new otc pain killer)

Vpeace

Bluelighter
Nurofen+ is suppose ot be the strongest pain relever u can buy over the counter without a script. This means it's stronger than pills containing 10mg codeine, 500mg paracetomal.
It contains iboprufen.
anyone know anythin about iboprufen?
dose? effects? recreational potential? etc.
I read in another post that it may contain codeine.
Anyone know if this is true?
This would be great if it did because the only other otc pills that contain codeine have paracetomal which is bad.

Nurofen+ contains 200mg iboprufen and 12.8mg codeine per tablet.
I can't see any recreational potential in Nurofen+. Sure, the big bad paracetamol is no where to be seen, and thus can't rape your liver and land you in hospital... Iboprufen takes its place. You're gonna be taking 1.25g of it for an 80mg codeine dose. I'm not sure of it's toxicity, but that can't be good.
Extracting codeine from tablets containing paracetamol is simple & effective. Unless extracting codeine from iboprufen is as easy, paracetamol based (namely Panadeine) products will stay the recreational users choice.
I don't know much about the side effects of iboprufen, other than it leads to bastardly nausea unless you've eaten shortly before taking it.
:)
[ 15 June 2002: Message edited by: apollo ]

Having put the codeine extraction technique to good use over the last few months, i would like to tell you the pros and cons of australian OTC products.
Firstly, i wouldnt really advise using Panadeine in the extraction technique as paracetemol is generally much more soluble in colder water than both aspirin and ibuprofen, thus making more paracetemol left in the finished product. And understandably, no one really likes to cop a large dose of paracetemol with their codeine as even small doses are known to effect liver functioning.
Now on the ibuprofen front, its solubility levels are far less at colder tempretures so making less of it available in the filtered product. Considering that nurofen + has a fairly good dose of codeine in each tablet, using this product in the extraction technique is a good idea. Small doses of ibuprofen have no long lasting side effects, and generally are much better for you than paracetemol.
However, as apollo said, if you take ibuprofen on an empty stomach it can, and generally will, cause in the short term extreme nausuea, stomach cramps, and diaorrhea. If your gonna use Nurofen+ its very much advised to have something in your stomach before you take the finished product - but unfortunately, seeing as its best to take codeine on an empty stomach, this may reduce (only slightly) the effects of the codeine.
Now, from all that, i can assure you that if your living in Australia, the kind pharmaceutical folk have made a product with aspirin and codeine in it. Its called Veganin (8mg codeine, 350mg aspirin) and it comes in a red & white box and is usually kept in most pharmacies. Ive found this product the most effective in limiting unwanted substances in the filtered solution. Seeing as only a very very small amount of aspirin becomes soluble in a cool solution, then obviously your gonna get less nasties in the final product, and more good stuff. And even the small trace amounts of aspirin will not cause any short term or long term damage, unlike both ibuprofen & paracetemol. Thus you can take your codeine on an empty stomach, enjoy yourself, and not feel ill the next day.

fuck all y'all recreational discussion of ibuprofen and Neurofen+ and codiene etc, these tablets are the only thing that make my back pain bareable. God Bless whoever first made ibuprofen...

Another good OTC Aspirin/Codiene combo is Disprin Forte... 350mg Aspirin, 9.5mg Codiene.
Happy extracting...

High quantities of NSAID's (including Ibuprofen) will play havoc on your stomach........
I wont go into the pharmacology of it - but high doses NSAIDs can cause very bad gastrointestinal upsets including stomach ulcers.......
However it is prefered to Paracetomol due to its properties, not only is it a antipyretic and better analgesic that paracetemol - it also have anti infammatory action.
And a MUCH higher dose of ibuprofen is needed to have toxic on the body........ anywhere over 8g of paracetememol a day can severly damage the liver (about 16 tbalets)
as for recreational use of ibuprofen......... nope none.........

Recommendation:
don't over do iburofen or paracetamol. When I had chickenpox a couple of months ago (at 24.. what a bastard :) ) I got stuck into the panadol and neurofen, having the maximum daily dose of each drug just to make the body aches beareable, I found my self doubled over with stomach pains and wound up in hospital via an ambulance... doctor's verdict.. too many pain killers no more pain killers.. get onto the losec (anti ulcer drug) and take different pain killers...
eg.. Morphine.. :) plus other milder drugs, but the stomach pain didn't go away for a week and my liver was enlarged.. so no food.. of course these conditions were aggrivated by chickenpox, but the start of it was too many OTC painkillers
Synth

Code:
[b]Solubility of miscellaneous substances in 100ml of pure water[/b]
---------------- ---------------- ----------------
Name                31°C water       21°C water 
Aspirin                1.00 g           0.33 g 
Ibuprofen            < 1.00 g         < 1.00 g 
Paracetamol            1.43 g           0.66 g 
Codeine               43.48 g         142.86 g 
As you can see, ibuprofen, paracetamol and aspiring are all sparingly soluble in cool water compared to codeine. For extraction purposes this means you can extract a solution of codeine from most OTC codeine products - however products containing pseudoephedrine hydrochloride or caffeine should be avoided, as these substances are soluble in water and will be present in the final product.
Ibuprofen, aspirin and paracetamol (acetominaphen) are useless as recreational drugs. There is no high to be gained from ingesting any dose of these chemicals. Worse, you actually subject your body to undue stress when you take large quantities of these chemicals with a recreational codeine dose. This is why we extract the codeine.
BigTrancer  :)

For those reading this thread who think it might be a great idea to get stuck into the codeine for recreational purposes, just be aware that codeine is an opiate drug, as are heroin and morphine.
Regular use of codeine will lead to severe constipation and physical dependency, which means going through withdrawals when you stop using it.
Symptoms of codeine withdrawal will last on average from four to seven days and include stomach cramps, anxiety, sleeplessness, muscular aches and pains, nausea and vomiting, chills and goosebumps, as well as strong cravings to use more codeine.
If you're using codeine regularly as a painkiller, as that nice lady on TV says, if pain persists see a doctor, or a pain management clinic at a local hospital. Opiates are good painkillers but regular use also leads to tolerance, which means you need more to get the same effect - which means you're developing a greater dependency. Regular gentle exercise like swimming can often be very effective in reducing chronic pain, particularly something annoying like lower back pain.
Now excuse me, I've seized up while typing all this and I need to go do my stretches! ;)

Also just letting people know iboprufen + weed (more than 4 cones) leads to nasty consequences. I'd fell on my knees (which aleady had a nasty fluid problem and eventually had to be dealt with a huge fuck-off needle) in game of basketball, basically couldn't walk. However, there was this party that i really wanted to go to so i ate 4 neurofens and went. Didn't feel to bad until i started to smoke up. 20 minutes after having multiple cones i was very fucked up, it felt like there were spikes driven into my brain and any movement rammed them further in. I sat there pale as for 3.5 hours and the went to sleep on 2 stubbies along my spine (didn't feel a thing until morning- then OUCH!). This might just be my own personal bad reaction to iboprufen and weed, but i wouldna wanna wish what happened to me on anyone, so just be careful aiiight!
[ 18 June 2002: Message edited by: Tabernacle ]