• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tuesday night 6:30 ABC - special on recreational drugs.

Hm, think I'll have a gander at that propaganda (I have nothing useful to add).

I hope i have this time /date right.. I just heard it on a show someone was watching in the other room. So if it aint tonight at 630, it will be next monday id say.. But i think its tonight...
PS - weird for the abc to be spouting propogander, though i spose they are run by the government.

Has anyone even seen the friggen program yet?
I can't believe anyone would write it off without even giving it a chance! That's as stupid as making a blanket statement like "Drugs are Bad"...
Hypocracy?

yeah that four corners program a while back on raves/drugs was really biased wasn't it? i can't believe the losers they got to talk about drugs, hey?
see the show, talk about it then. until then you are just as bad anyone who makes assumptions about you...

Health Dimensions
6:30 pm Tuesday 4 June 2002
Dr Norman Swan and his team present What's Your Poison, a Health Dimensions special that screens on Tuesday June 4 at 6.30pm on ABC TV. This program looks at the legal and illegal drugs commonly used by Australians of all ages today, and their effects on their health. Stories include:
Alcohol Reporter - Rachel Friend
As a story, alcohol has good chapters and bad. It's legal and socially acceptable, but it's a drug that directly and indirectly claims more than four thousand lives each year, and costs the community upwards of 4.5 billion dollars. However, light drinking is increasingly receiving a more positive rap. The latest research shows that a glass of alcohol a day significantly reduces the risk of middle aged people developing type 2 diabetes.
Ecstasy Reporter - Shelly Horton
The 'love drug' ecstasy is associated with some highly-publicised deaths. However around the world, hundreds of thousands of people take ecstasy each weekend and not many are dying from it. The problem highlighted is that ecstasy use may have adverse effects on memory and cause anxiety disorders.
Marijuana Reporter - Rachel Friend
Marijuana is a drug that never fails to arouse great debate. The very latest research is both controversial and somewhat contradictory. On the one hand research suggests that marijuana will damage cognitive function in long-term heavy users. It's also believed to trigger depression, particularly in young women. On the flipside however, marijuana is thought to have some important medicinal uses and may even have the capacity to be neural protective.
Nicotine Reporter - Shelly Horton
If you're not smoking regularly by the age of 18 or 19, you're unlikely ever to do so. The reason, according to researchers, is probably that the young, maturing brain is physically changed by exposure to nicotine. But there isn't much help available for young people who want to quit. Recent statistics from the Cancer Council show the number of young people smoking has decreased by two percent for the first time in a decade. But even with that slight drop, a quarter of a million Australian school students aged 12-17 are smokers.
For more information visit the Health Dimensions website: http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions
---------------
I've watched Dimensions a few times while waiting for the news. It's not the ABC's best journalism, but this episode seems to remind me of the 'what's your poison series' which I believe was on Quantum? anyone?

its just the title..
"Why we can't be complacent"
and the brief description that has put me into the propergander mode.. we will see..
Though the insite posted above sounds okish.

Recreational drugs "Why we can't be complacent"...whatever side of the "war on drugs" debate you're on, I can't see a problem with that title.
We certainly can't afford be complacent, and I don't believe most people on Aus DD are. For e.g. advice on testing kits, pre & post-loading (health), don't carry drugs on public transport, don't advertise you are in possession (legal) etc. While that may not be exactly what they are referring to, at least they recongise it as health issue. Even taking precautions, regular use of recreational drugs will cause harm. What might need to be said is that we understand and accept the fact, now let us legally make that choice.

argh... that should be our motto here...
Bluelight: Why We Can't Be Complacent
if we were "complacent" we wouldn't care what was in our pills, or what we were doing to our bodies. Is that what you want?

Okay so so far i have only watched the bit on ecstacy and i guess it had some ok parts in it... like they did talk about harm minimisation etc... but there was still some incorrect shit in their, like ecstacy containing heroin... but i thought it was okay otherwise... it recognised that people are gonna use no matter what and i mean it did not go overboard with what the downsides of use were... it was ok i think.

Well, that was a credit to the ABC in my opinion. The only thing which ticked me off was seeing heroin in the list of drugs commonly found in ecstasy tablets.
Seeing harm minimisation/reduction acknowledged put a smirk on my face :)

hehehe - i think that was probably what crossed most our minds when they listed up the drugs found in pills - heroin......... also in the list they had methamphetamine "ice".... hell no!! it aint ice!!
But besides that - i thought it was reasonable....... glad they did focus on the harm minimisation that should be done - but could have been better to include what harm minimisation stratergies should be done.......
all in all humbs up o them - ive watched a few of the programs and they seem to do a reasonable job...

So we actually take rats and we give them a, you could call it an ecstasy weekend.
When we give the rats the ecstasy, they behave a bit like humans on ecstasy.
They get hot, they get sweaty, they move around a lot, and I won't call it dancing, but they're certainly very active.
Uh, and they also show an increase in social interactions.
So if they're under the influence of ecstasy, they'll spend a lot more time interacting with another rat, and, uh, again, I wouldn't call it cuddling, but they're -- they're certainly more socially interested than normal.
LMAO! Anyway this was a very good show I think. The only thing you could say was wrong was the heroin mention, but that is still debatable, and why focus on the one "wrong thing and ignore the 100 right things?

I thought the E piece went quite well.
As for the mice that were depressed weeks after a single E. Ms phase said it was probably because they were awakened to the fact of where they were and what their futures held :(
Good to see the neuroprotective properties of cannabis got a mention. That wouldn't have sat well with some groups.
From what I saw of it, not too bad a show considering the audience it was aimed at.

its as good as you could expect anyway, good to see harm minimmastion at least getting a mention, though its presented only aa an idea. I guess working for the government, Paul DIllon can't push that to far
and I'm fairly sure that their 'weekend' dose of ecstasy is far higher than what anyone would reasonably take going off the information released about their last study about smoking pot on E.
But you cant deny what it says, anyone who has had a few big weekends knows it screws with your head a bit

If anyone has this taped, I would be very interested in seeing this. I wasn't available to see the show at the screening time. If you know me and have a copy, please let me know one way or another.
Thanks

Quite impressed actually. I'm staring to think that Paul Dillon has far more liberal views thn he lets on as he seems to be gradually shifting his opinion.
And for the love of God why don't ethics comittee's realise that human trials are OK when the humans involved are happy to be involved.