Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

toxicity of pill tester

mazdamad

Bluelighter
just a quick question,
In my uncanny clumsiness i managed to drop a pill into a drop of tester. I took it out and wiped it off straight away.
Could this pill be dangerous if taken?
opinions appreciated guys, thanks!

the pill testers are highly toxic...
which particular tester was it?
I wouldn't eat the pill, sell it to a friend and see what happens to them for future reference (joke)
Is the pill not dissolving?

Well, there are generally two testing agents, marquis, and mandelin (simon is used as well).
Marquis reagent is composed of 9 parts concentrated sulfuric acid to 1 part formaldehyde.
Mandelin reagent is composed of 1.0 grams of ammonium vanadate in 100mLs of concentrated sulfuric acid.
Either way, you've dropped sulfuric acid on your pill. I'm not sure of the harm that consuming traces of sulfuric acid would cause, but I'd suggest not taking it out of common sense.

I can't remember which tester it was, but one time I didnt' clean the knife and it went black... sounds healthy

Put a drop of tester onto a piece of wood or paper and watch what happens... then decide if you want that in your body...
Throw the pill out.

Pleo: Your stomach does contain Hydrochloric acid, so you've already got some of that stuff in your body (in a way) :p
In all seriousness, this link states that beer contains hydrochloric acid and sulphuric acid. I don't know the amounts contained within beer, and I don't know the exact amount that would be contained on your pill, so I'm not going to say whether it would be safe or not. A good idea would be to not take it.

I tested a pill on a tile once, wiped it, snorted some meth off it, licked the tile...
Yes, the tile wasn't completely clean.
It burns a bit, but I'm still here.

Okay, I've been in a chemistry lab of some sorts about 6-7 hours of every week for about 2 years now. In this time you won't imagine the amount of things I've spilt on me, and I'm still standing.
But in all seriousness, there is not much of a safety concern about dropping a pill into Marquis reagent as long as you've cleaned it well, but Mandelin reagent is a much higher risk.
Simon's Reagent has these chems which can be dealt with like this:
Sulfuric acid: Let it evapourate in a ventilated area OR wash it with a slightly basic solution (Sodium Bicarbonate would be good)
Formaldehyde: Is quite volatle, dry the pill thoroughly.
The reasoning behind taking a pill that's been dropped in Simon's Reagent and cleaned is the fact that the toxcitiy of the chem you're taking and the binders and contaminants in the pill far outweigh the miniscule amount of formaldehyde and conc. Sulfuric acid.
Also, any reaction between the formaldehyde and the MDXX does not make a toxic compound to my knowledge.
Ammonium Vanadate in Mandelin's reagent is another story. This thing is highly toxic! The LD50 is 58.1mg/kg, so it won't kill you if you eat the pill, cause there's no way you've got the 4 grams needed to kill an average human, but there are very nasty side effects...
But, this is a judgement call on your behalf. If this happened to me, and I dropped it in Simon's reagent. I would take it after a thorough washing. If it was Mandelin's reagent, that is another story.

I think you may find simon’s reagent has sodium nitroprusside which although not as toxic as ammonium vanadate, is still quite nasty (rat LD50 ~ 99.0mg/kg) From a not to be mentioned site
Chromic(**** Addict) 08-25-01 01:09
“it's confirmed that sodium nitroprusside is Simon's Reagent which is the reagent used by eztest supreme”
For the sake of safety I would throw it regardless. What’s the lesson learnt?
Simple. Prepare your sample before opening the reagents. Best also to wear glasses as your eyes are a lot more costly to replace.

After some thought I'll retract any encouragement to take the pill. Sure, you won't die if you take it, but some of that stuff is quite toxic.
Yeah, yeah the amount of MDMA in the pill puts more of a strain on your body than the amount of chems you've spilt on the pill, but for heaven's sake, I'm not going to feel partly responsible for someone going to hospital...
Oh, and if you ever want to find how toxic/dangerous a chem is Just put "XXXX MSDS" in google, where XXXX is the chemical's name. MSDS stands for material saftey data sheet and has a lot of stuff about toxicity and first aid.
But what you must remember is that every chemical in the universe is toxic, it just depends on how much you take. If you drink too much water for example (we're talking 10's of litres in an hour or something) you're body will fail. There's no such thing as a safe chemical.
[ 30 May 2002: Message edited by: Fetish Jester ]