Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

nasal absorbtion of drugs

Lucas

Bluelighter
quick question here, do ALL drugs get a higher absorbtion rate when snorted? the reason behind the question is my doc perscribed me some sleeping tablets (not benzo's) but they are fucking expensive and the doseage im taking isnt helping as much as id like. id like to make the box last a little longer if its possible.
[ 15 May 2002: Message edited by: Lucas ]

I'm not 100% sure - I'd assume that all drugs are absorbed quicker, but don't take my word for it.
What's a greater factor though is that some drugs hurt like the fires of hell to snort, and that makes snorting them less desirable than eating. Also if you're trying to make them last longer then snorting isn't the way to go, because with a faster absorbtion rate the drugs won't last as long - the effects will be stronger, but for a shorter period of time...
What are the sleeping tablets out of interest? I think posting the details would be your best bet here... :)

Well, I would say yes, snorting would require less to get the same results if you eat it.
But I'm not 100% sure, so wait until someone like babydoc who can give you a medical opinion.
I would think most drugs, if not all, don't all make it to your brain when swallowed, because some would get lost in the digestive system, and the liver etc..
What pills are they? What substances do they contain? If they're addictive, snorting them every night would be a way to sure get addicted in no time. And wouldn't pills like that be covered in some shit, to stop people from snorting and banging it?

ok, im gonna edit that last bit about making them last longer, as it is poorly worded. the pills are Stilnox. they contain 10mg of zolpidem tartrate. the doc has told me to take 1/2 a tab (5mg) to help me sleep. this hasnt helped to the extent id like but i dont wanna start taking 10mg since i will run out of them to fast (yes, i am actually taking them to get to sleep). so i wanna know if snorting 5mg might give me the kick of 7-8mg eaten and maybe put me to sleep

Pretty much you can only snort things that are water soluble - ie. the powder must be able to dissolve in contact with the intranasal mucous membranes. If you snort something that is insoluble in water, then really it's just a slightly longer tube to get to your stomach. The mucous from your nose that creates a drip down the back of the throat will eventually carry the insoluble material to your stomach.
Benzodiazepines aren't soluble in water. Some people enjoy snorting valium, xanax, etc. however any added effect over and above oral administration is only caused by placebo and/or the fact that the pill is crushed prior to eventually arriving at the stomach. That being said - if you want to rail it, you're not going to lose anything besides perhaps some nasal tissue, so if you just have to rack up everything you take, then knock yourself out (pun intended ;) ).
[Edit: My mistake - I misread the original post as asking specifically about benzodiazepines. Anyway zolpidem tartrate is sparingly soluble in water, so it might be slightly more effective than benzos when snorted. Otherwise the rest of the post holds true. BigTrancer]
Alternatively - try dissolving the pill under your tongue. This method is called sublingual administration.
BigTrancer :)
[ 15 May 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

Or you could: Take it on an empty stomach, chew it or crush it up and bomb it (put it in a tally or tissue paper)
You could probly plug it aswell

According to the MIMS, the adult dose of Stilnox is 10mg. 5mg is used for the elderly (I'm assuming you're under 65?!) and those with liver impairment. I suggest you talk to your Dr again if the 5mg is inadequate. Re: the expense, AFAIK these are not subsidised by the PBS, so you pay the whole amount of the script (known as a private supply).
Some places both provide big discounts on medicines that are not subsidised by the PBS.
NB to MODS: I am confident those 2 shops are OK to list as they are both completely legitimate pharmacies who require prescriptions, not bodgy foreign internet pharmacies. If however anyone thinks they shouldn't be posted, feel free to edit.
[Edit: Thanks babydoc_vic. I've removed the URLs in line with a blanket no-supplier rule for legal and nonlegal items. BigTrancer]
[ 15 May 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

A different point of view.. I suffer from not being able to get to sleep. In a big way. To the point where I'm sometimes nocturnal. In the long term:
I have found prescription sleeping pills leave me feeling worse and 'hung over' the next 'morning' ;) I have changed most of my employment so that I rarely start before 1pm. This helps because I seem to get most of my restful sleep' around 5-7am. The only things I find help me sleep are: a small amount of alcohol, and or melatonin. I almost always need background music to drown out noise.

Sorry BT - I honestly didn't think it would be a problem. I'm having one of those "can't get anything right" weeks". Meh.

I use these occasionally too. Personally I prefer half a Stilnox (5mg) to the full 10mg - a full tablet makes me feel a bit hungover the next day. However, 5 mg generally does get me to sleep, unlike you.
I don't know if snorting Stilnox would be effective, but if it were you might find that you would get to sleep sooner but also wake up sooner. For drugs that can be snorted effectively, the onset of action is quicker as they are absorbed into the bloodstream more quickly. However, they are also then excreted more quickly than if taken orally.
I'm not sure that a smaller dose would be more effective just because the rate of onset has been speeded up by snorting.
Also, Stilnox is supposedly non-habit-forming, although I'm not sure why and I'm also not sure if that means you won't build up tolerance to Stilnox and need more of it over time to achieve the same effect. But with drugs where tolerance is a factor, snorting is likely to produce tolerance more quickly than swallowing (and injecting even more quickly than snorting).

I just don't see anybody sticking a sleeping pill up their arse :)