Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushies in your bathroom

cAmmAc

Bluelighter
I was called up by a friend of mine tonight who had found 2 mushrooms (about 2 inches tall, rather thin stem, gold top with very small white speckles/dots) growing out of a crack in his bathroom next to the shower.
I went over there and took a few shots with the digital camera, took the camera home and compared the pics I took to some photos on erowid. I'm certain they are of the Psilocybe Cubensis variety, but I'm just not convinced that psychoactive mushrooms can simply grow out of a crack in the bathroom floor. Erowid says that this variety isn't found in Victoria (which is where we are) but found in Tasmania.
I'm not sure if this will be against the posting guidelines, but is there any defining way of finding out if a mushroom is psychoactive besides eating it?
Cheers.

I'd say your friend needs to clean their bathroom ;)
But seriously as far as I'm aware there is no 'test' for mushrooms. The problem you face is if you eat them you can make yourself seriously sick. You could try taking them to your local university and seeing if any of the botanists can ID them for you, but you might raise a few eyebrows. You can only really take advice from an experienced 'shroomer' anyone else will just be guessing. Don't try and ID mushrooms from photos over the net as there is a chance you will get it wrong, there are literally thousands of mushrooms that look similar to the psychoactive varieties.
When in doubt -- do not eat it. When all doubt has been removed -- check again.
There are two kinds of mushroom hunters -- smart ones, and dead ones. Even some of the smart ones are dead now.
Taken from the Shroomery

Try cutting a bit of the mushroom. Then leave the mushroom for a few minutes, if the mushroom goes into a bit of blue colour towards where you cut it, then this may indicate it is.
Still, this technique isn't 100 per cent safe and don't rely on doing this. You sholuld always know what your taking, especially with mushrooms as they can be very dangerous and even fatal.

I cant really help with this one seeing that we only really eat the one type of mushie up here in the northern climes (tried and tested!), but it is more of a question.
Do all psychoactive mushrooms do the blueing test?
the ones we eat here are the ones that turn blue when you break the stem, but do other mushies do this too?
Andromeda :)

According to several guides found on the net, (shroomery and links from there), no other gold top mushroom should turn blue when bruised. It sounds very fucking odd of them turning up in a crack of someones bathroom, since they normally come from cow shit. If it doesn't turn blue (can take from seconds, to a few minutes), throw it away. There is poisenous mushrooms with gold tops that look exactly like Psilocybe Cubensis, but they do not turn blue at all.
I still wouldn't bother tripping off 2 small mushrooms, if you're not 100% sure theyre psilocybian.

Its more likely to be tinea fungus gone out of control... get your friend to clean their bathroom!!!

consult an experienced shroomer or botanist. once you've got the opinion of one, consult another.
if you're still in doubt, throw them out.

Hahaha :D
What a situation to be in!
But do you really think you would be in this situation if you weren't a dope fiend, prepared to eat the mushrooms you found growing out of a crack in the bathroom wall?
No offence of course.
Just quite the situation to be in... :D

I had mushrooms growing in my bathroom once. They weren't psilocybin though unfortunately. Anyhow, there is a test kit available to detect the presence of psilocybin:
Pro-Test
The next question to ask is whether all mushrooms containing psilocybin are safe for human consumption.

Best you call a plumber. Bathrooms are best left to experts. Cant let these things get out of control. Have you tried a bit of bleach? (mums suggestion) Removes most things. Also there are very good powders you can sprinkle between your toes.

Im sorry that I cant add anything helpful here as I've got no info on mushies and im still dying to try them (pun... sort of not really at all intended :) .
Just wanted to add:
This thread made my week. Renewed my faith in Bluelighters and was cause for a huge giggle at school. Top marks mate :)
Im not sure if its the situation, or the ability for all drug users to identify mentally with the problem haha :)

johnnyonelove - nice find. That site should be advertised a little more on this site methinks. The ability to test for all the different types of chemies with the types of testers they sell is pretty good - haven't seen a range of testers like it before, but then again, I haven't really been looking!
...and LoL @ moochoo - hit the nail straight on the head!!! ;)

there is no way in hell I'd eat em!!! if u've eva grown mushies then u'd know that everything must remain fairly sterile...i.e. if a bit of mold contaminates the container ure using to grow, then toxins from the mold contaminate your mushies, leaving u with a mushie a little bit more magic than normal (and very likely 2 do bad things 2 ure body)
if u've neva picked and eaten mushies then I wouldn't pick ANY and then try 2 compare them to pictures OR real life specimens.....the chances ure gonna fuk up r way 2 high. Where I go to do my annual mushie trek grows thousands of magic mushies as well as another type, they look identical upon 1st inspection, only difference is they have a stem that is slightly more woody, the gills are different and they will kill you unless u can get ureself to a dialysis machine within a couple of hours.
think u've been watchin 2 many eminem vids m8
[ 21 May 2002: Message edited by: Lord Kaos ]

Kaos... do you know what the deal with natural mycelium is? i mean on the forest floor there are a large number of contaminants, other molds etc. do mushrooms absorb most of this toxicity if it is present, or does it compete with it and drive it out in the natural environment?
would you take mushies that weren't grown in a sterile environment...

deepr ->>>
on the forest floor there are a large number of contaminants, other molds etc. do mushrooms absorb most of this toxicity if it is present, or does it compete with it and drive it out in the natural environment?
would you take mushies that weren't grown in a sterile environment...
I researched growing a couple of years ago (the details r a little hazy now) but I remeber that molds, bacteria and viruses all of which attack the mushroom (pathogens) don't generally occur in a natural environment as the conditions aren't right....pathogens thrive in humidity and still air (not a prob in the forests of SA).
In a natural environment other fungi may compete with mushies for the growing medium, but these fungi r not pathogens, as they don't actually attack the shroom, they just compete with the shroom 4 growing space, nutrients, etc.
Pathogens in a growing environment can come from several sources, such as contaminated air, the growing medium, spore syringes, etc. Which is why it's important to monitor ure mushies and provide an environment which ure mushies will thrive in but bacteria wont.....this can sometimes mean a bit more air flow in2 ure growing chamber, or a few degrees in temperature. Just keep everything sterile and u should b right.
The only mushies I take these days r from the forest and I've been taking my annual field trip 4 about 7 or 8 years now....neva had a problem (cept from trippn 2 hard)
Anyways, if u want 2 know all there is 2 know about mushies go to The Shoomery
b careful dude, 1 bad mushie and ure liver is history

hey thanks kaos, very interesting site...
btw.. what do you mean one bad mushie and your livers history? do you mean one misidentified poisonous variety?? there was an article in the paper about a guy recently who was a very experienced picker and went into the forest and died out there... all it said was that they thought the cause of death was from ingesting magic mushies...
is it possible for some shrooms to have unnatural toxins in them that can f you up?

I don't know if any psilocyben containing mushrooms contain other deadly toxins. Psilocyben itself won't kill you unless you have about 20 grams worth, which is not going to happen when you consider that a strong dose is about 20 milligrams (20 grams psilocyben ~ 5 kilograms mushrooms!). His death would most likely have been due to ingesting the wrong mushrooms. The general media is useless for reporting accurate information on such incidents.
This should highlight the dangers involved in mushy hunting for you though. Even experienced pickers screw up. How easy is it then for someone with little experience?