Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

TV: Stingers

psycotik

Bluelighter
I didnt actually see the full episode only heard about it, someone might be able to fill in some more facts about it.
What i heard tho was there was a nightclub scene, where a woman passed out. They actually stated in the show that PMA was the reasoning for her passing out. Not the usual "She took ecstacy and almost died" approach used by most tv series on this matter.
This is actually the first show i have heard who might have actually done some proper research into the script rather than using stereotypes.
Anyone else see more of the show to fill in the matter a bit more?

yeah I watched the whole thing- not too bad at all, a nice surprise. They clearly stated the fact that it was PMA that was the dangerous drug used by dodgy bastards to simulate the effects of MDMA for a better return cos its cheaper. They emphasised strongly the fact that the 3 guys who had MDMA only were all fine in contrast to the PMA overdose chick.
Also didnt go too over the top with the portrayal of the effects of MDMA ie they werent all squealing and dancing around for 10 hours straight, showed the empathy well without going too over the top. Two mates were both on it and did that shoulder grab thing that me and my mates always do eg "are you alright man?", he replies "yeahhhhhhhh" big grin and then they put hands on each others shoulders and squeeze/push and both say "yeahhhhhhhhh" with a big grin. Or maybe thats just me....... :}
Overall a pretty good effort- nice one Stingers.

ye not bad at all. Very impressed. I would have to say most informed tv show i've seen about e.
AND IT WAS ONLY FOR ENTERTAINMENT. A lot of journo's out there should feel VERY upstaged right about now.
Loved the cop all loved up. hehe

damn good episode... everything that was mdma related was correct... down to the chemical names: ie sassafras oil... safrole... iso-safrole... pma, mdma... etc...
was a damn good episode...

hehe...Stingers script writers didnt do research! Clearly they knew EXACTLY what they were doing :p What do they do when they're not writing scripts? Watch out for the Channel Nine Stamp Bikkies :p

Shit, I wish I'd watched it now... glad to see someone is doing their homework :D At least, even if they're highlighting a dangerous side to pills, they're showing WHY the dangers exist.
BigTrancer :)

Yeah, all their information was top-notch. Too bad they did the normal TV show thing and hired ACTORS to act as ravers, why not just get ravers, it'll look better, cost less, and add realism. I guess it's a legal thing, but anyway, stingers is usually pretty informed on everything they do, but when Oscar (an undercover) took a pill, he acted exactly like i would expect a cop to.
Nice one.

was the above a serious comment? meh, because they need actors, who can act. trust me, it would look shithouse if "real" ravers were there. even so called reality television is heavily scripted and acted. how did i know that someone would eventually post something here about how it wasn't realistic enough. you people are never happy ;)

I posted the following in a thread about Home and Away, but it applies here:
When I studied film briefly at Uni (one of the few subjects I actually finished) they taught us 5 things to be aware of when watching movies so as not to let things cloud our judgement. They were: "Categorical Rejection", "Mistaking the Part for the Whole", "Great Expectations", "An Excess of Expertise", and "The Influence of External Factors". The one that's relevent to this thread is the 4th one:
An Excess of Expertise: Although filmmakers go to great lengths to make their films as realistic in every detail as possible and usually hire technical advisers to help with special problems, a relatively small number of us simply know too much for our own good. If we possess special technical skills or inside knowledge, we are often unable to enjoy the film because of minor technical errors to which most viewers are completely oblivious. Take, for example, a concert violinist viewing a film about a great violinist. The actor playing the part has been trained to finger the violin well enough to convince the average viewer, but the concert violinist sees at a glance how awkward or inept the actor's fingering actually is. In such cases, the expert viewer, instead of fretting about the lack of total realism, should try to enjoy other aspects of the film. :)

Johnboy, not to sound bitchy, but I think it's true that TV shows really could make their "club" scenes look better. I'm only going on my experience with this Stingers episode, and Neighbours *shudder*, but what they do, is get 20 people to dance around like knobs, andd it just looks TOO acted. My favourite saying is "don't try to dance, just dance" - and also, they really need more people, these scenes just look so underbudgeted. Anyway, i'm just being a bitch.
oh yeah and ;) to you too.

For those of us who watch birds and have learned their songs, however, movies can be maddening, no matter how big their budgets. It's hard for us to concentrate on a story when ornithological incongruities assault our ears. Compounding our frustration is that other people usually don't notice. Either they're not conversant with bird language or they fall under the hypnotic spell of drama and screen out any incidental sounds.LMAO! For the record, this is how stupid ravers sound when they whinge about movies not being accurate enough... ;)

Did anyone see that episode of Frontline a few years ago, when they went into a "rave" to find drugs and expose it as the evil drug haven it is?
Well it turned out they couldnt get any, and were going to say that these pills the cameraman had (for use a party he was going to later) were really purchased at the club...
Just before Mike Moore (played by Rob Sitch) is about to present the show on air, he complains of a headache and asks for painkillers. His assistant then goes to the cameramans drawer looking for panadols, and finds two pills, and gives them to Mike Moore..
Then he goes on air.. That was some FUNNY shit!

Originally posted by Hardicus:
- and also, they really need more people, these scenes just look so underbudgeted.
-They ARE underbudgeted and basically, thats the best that can be done :)