Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

"Ecstasy users share data on Net" - courier mail

Binx

Bluelighter
grit your teeth before you read this one...
Ecstasy users share data on Net
Joel Dullroy, youth affairs reporter
ECSTASY users are logging on to Internet sites to share information about potentially lethal drug batches.
Health authorities warned users they were playing Russian roulette by trusting unreliable websites.
They also log their experiences of different batches of pills. Each batch has identifying colours and symbols.
Users log the pill's effect and identify suspect batches which may contain deadly cocktails of filler ingredients, including strychnine, cocaine, heroin and household cleaning products.
They also note each pill's "brand", imprint, colour, size, shape, post photographs and give a rating out of 10.
Drug user's support groups said the websites are vital in providing health and safety information, but Queensland Health said the websites presented an overtly positive message of drug use, and did not identify harmful effects.
Users could not be sure if the reports were accurate, and may be tricked into buying a bad patch of pills, a Queensland Health spokesman said.
The sites network information from across the globe, with specific pages for Australia and New Zealand.
Recent listings include "Deanj" from the Gold Coast, who logged a report about blue-barrel, light-blue pills, noting they "came on after about 90 mins, extremely good pill", and "98095" from Sydney warned about 'Pink!', which caused "very bad jaw clenching".
Other reported symbols that can be found on the pills include the Qantas kangaroo, $, No 1, MTV, broken heart, castle, the Honda symbol, and the Apple Macintosh symbol.
Users also log the results from E-Z Test kits, which cost $55 at some record and rave clothing stores, and are legal to sell but illegal to use.
A Brisbane clubber said ecstasy users regularly check the websites to read other user's experiences of pills before they take them.
"They're helpful because sometimes you're not sure if a pill is dodgy or not, and you can see what other people thought," the clubber said.
But he said most users were aware the sites were potentially inaccurate.
Drug and Alcohol Foundation spokesman Bob Aldred said the sites were in line with harm minimisation strategies.
"We should be trying to give as much information to drug users as we possibly can, not to encourage them to use more but to reduce the risk that they may suffer," Mr Aldred said.
But he warned users to be wary of information, which was potentially incorrect and could be tampered with.
Queensland Health spokesman John Scott said users should refer to government-sponsored drug safety sites, which were more reliable than open discussion lists.
A spokesman for Justice and Customs Minister Senator Chris Ellison said there was difficulty policing international Net sites, and said he would refer the matter to the Australian Federal Police.
Website users believe the AFP are already aware of their operation, and post messages warning that "Federal Police monitor this site".
It's sad to see they've even managed the heroin & household cleaning products myth, while attacking a service that has probably saved so many lives.

one of the worst written articles i've seen of late. it says information on 'these sites' is unreliable, but notes that users give EZTest results, after warning us about the good old strychnine/heroin/glass/horsy's mum combo found in pills. spends a lot of time trying to convince us that 'these sites' are bad, then a quote from a reputable source saying that its in line with hamr minimisation strategies?!?!
spose its only the courier mail...but ive seen herald-sun articles written better than that...
oh yeah...waves to afp
;)

Just spoke to the guy who wrote this. He said he is monitoring this thread, and is willing to hear the criticism you might have.
I mainly said that I was dissapointed that no one contacted us (natch) and that the point wasn't made that the only reason that pillreports exists, in an Australian context, is that we have no access to verifiable lab data, unlike every other Ecstasy using Western country. He said that this, and other points I raised (AMA's backing of testing, etc) will be raised in a followup article.

*waves*
Drug user's support groups said the websites are vital in providing health and safety information, but Queensland Health said the websites presented an overtly positive message of drug use, and did not identify harmful effects.
You think??... I think he got his wires crossed somewhere??..
Other reported symbols that can be found on the pills include the Qantas kangaroo, $, No 1, MTV, broken heart, castle, the Honda symbol, and the Apple Macintosh symbol.
what relivence is this to the article as a whole?.. did you do this just to fill in your word count?
Drug and Alcohol Foundation spokesman Bob Aldred said the sites were in line with harm minimisation strategies.
"We should be trying to give as much information to drug users as we possibly can, not to encourage them to use more but to reduce the risk that they may suffer," Mr Aldred said.
something to be proud about... it is in line, so why all the fuss??... this total clashes with the first quote I made of the article!...
[ 22 April 2002: Message edited by: deeCee1 ]

What gets me most upset is the fact that clearing up some of the errors of fact is not a difficult process. Surely journalists know of erowid.org? This can easily clarify things like the strychnine/heroin/coke in pills myth. I'm not sure if journalists appreciate the confusion this type of info creates in the community (and in the drug taking community as well). Many people have worked tirelessly to clarify such misinformation. This should not be an issue that you just play with and manipulate for the sake of a catchy sounding headline.
I believe it is in the journos code of ethics to report as factually as possible. Fair enough if you have no way of verify info, but this seems like lazy journalism (at best) or just plain shitte-spinning (at worst).
The Courier Mail has a pretty bad reputation in reporting drug related stories (check some of the other threads currently around about this).
Yesterdays Sunday Mail contained some absolute doozies...Such as GHB produces hallucinations, GHB users are taking a combination of speed and heroin to "come down" off the hallucinogenic GHB etc etc etc...Again, there is no excuse for printing such crap. A simple search of Google could clear up some of the ridiculous assertions being made in the papers at the moment.
Lift your game journos...
*Message edited when blood pressure returned to normal*
[ 22 April 2002: Message edited by: hardup ]

deecee: all articles need balance, hence two opposing views, the journo said that in the original version of the story the pro and con arguements were balanced, as far as the quotes went, and that the story actually led with the harm min quote. by the time the sub editors were thru with it the ratio had changed, and the story led with the Qld Health anti- quotes.
this isn't defending the state of modern journalism, just letting everyone know that when you read a story more than person has had control of it.

oh and it's probably obvious but i'll say it anyway: average age of minor journo in print media - late 20's. average age of sub editor - late 40's, if not older. can you guess where the conservative bias might creep in? ;)

lol, someone just rang me to tell me that MX, the disposable tabloid in Melbourne, have this as their front page story. If someone could grab a copy I'd appreciate it, as I might be leaving work too late to grab a copy.

LOL - I read MX Magazine for three months each day when I had to catch the train home from work - I swear my IQ dropped 5 points each day until I stopped... ;)
Back on topic: I didn't think the article was too bad - there was no false info and it was about as positive as you'll ever get! You're playing russian roulette when you take drugs regardless, just that reading sites like this help to cut down the odds a bit (assuming you know who to trust, which isn't always easy). I know a couple of half truths have been snuck in so every reader will interpret what they want to interpret, but that's' journalism...
Seriously, I've seen much worse... :)

From the front page of MX today - 22/04/02
Net ecstasy - Drug reviews online
Kamahl Cogdon
Young Victorians are using internet reviews of hundreds of ecstasy tablets to choose their party pills.
Sites rating different ecstasy tablets and describing the high they provide are readily available online.
The Australian Drug Foundation today warned many of the sites were deliberately aimed at young people and glorified ecstasy use.
"They increase the desirability and add to the whole secret culture surrounding ecstasy," spokeswoman Anne Learmonth said.
"Unfortunately, these kinds of websites are all too common.
"They are usually run by older people who are out to manipulate young people, knowing they are big users of the Internet."
Learmonth said the sites failed to inform readers about the dangers of ecstasy, including the poisonous chemical cocktails often used to concoct the pills.
Learmonth said she was aware of at least five internet sites posting ecstasy reviews.
One internet site - seen by MX - rates, reviews and describes hundreds of different ecstasy pills.
Contributions from Melbourne users include 8/10 and 9/10 ratings for a pill known as Orange JA.
User "property magnate" said he "began to feel loved up, then fingers wouldn't stop clapping against my palms" 45 minutes after taking the tablet.
He said he experienced "major eye wobbles" and clenching of his jaw, but "couldn't get the smile off my face".
"FeRoCioS" said the pill "sent me straight to la-la land" and urged others to store "these little dynamites" for a rainy day.
But "pillhead123" said his encounter with a pill dubbed White Armani left him sick for three days and rated it zero.
Drug user support groups defended the websites, saying they provided vital health and safety information for users.
A regular clubber said ecstasy users often checked websites to read about others' experiences before taking pills.
The things I do for Bluelight... I'm not a fan of MX at all, yet here I am typing out an article...
Learmonth said the sites failed to inform readers about the dangers of ecstasy, including the poisonous chemical cocktails often used to concoct the pills. She obviously hasn't looked at Bluelight, and if she had, she didn't read it... And the links to Bluelight from Pillreports aren't very hard to find, so claiming that Pillreports itself doesn't provide that information is irrelevant...
At least this article simply stated some quotes and didn't make any baseless speculations... Unlike the Courier Mail article...
But he said most users were aware the sites were potentially inaccurate. ...But unfortunately most readers of the news are unaware just how inaccurate that 'news' is...
I do feel sorry for journos who cop the blame when editors warp their articles, I guess most of us don't consider that... I'd be interested in seeing the article before the editors got to it...
However there is no excuse for reporting 'facts' which are completely incorrect, such as the fabled presence of heroin/coke/strychnine/household cleaning products in pills, as a few of us have also pointed out...
Queensland Health spokesman John Scott said users should refer to government-sponsored drug safety sites, which were more reliable than open discussion lists. Hahahaha now that's truly laughable... Nice one John Scott... All too often government-sponsored sites are more unreliable than a dodgy dealer in a club just about to get raided... Some open discussion lists are unreliable yes, but Bluelight with its many resources isn't, and used in conjunction with other sites such as erowid.org and lycaeum.org, its much more relable than a government-sponsored site, and erowid and lycaeum simply provide the facts, so they're a lot less biased...
Other than that the article wasn't too bad, it did provide a relatively balance opinion...
Without Pillreports, users would have no way of comparing pills beyond simple word of mouth. People will continue to take pills regardless of what measures are put in place to try to stop them, prohibition doesn't work, and people will continue to harm themselves unless they are provided with the knowledge they need in order to prevent that harm... Pillreports and Bluelight are two ways of providing that information...
As JB said, if users had access to lab pill testing facilities, then there would be no need for pillreports... People will take ecstasy regardless of what is done to try to stop them, so arguing that the sites are inaccurate and are used to manipulate young people would be a moot point if there were quantifiable ways of discounting that inaccuracy...
[ 22 April 2002: Message edited by: Tarsarlan ]

To the author of this article:
So you are monitoring this thread? Then I challenge you: register and post in this thread - your opinions regarding this article and the subject matter in general would be interesting to hear.
----------------
Overall, after the editing process, the final article was shit.
[ 22 April 2002: Message edited by: Jakoz ]

exact same article published in mx (melb)today, 'Net Ecstasy' front page. same idea, just rewritten. same crap.

Damn you bastards are quick, i thought i was gonna have first crack at tearing this piece of sensationalistic 'drugs are bad mmmmkay' shit to bits.... ah well. Encouraging drug use my arse! No mention of the HM side of pill reports, such as creating PMA awareness and bunk potentially harmful pills. Checking others experiences, fuck that! Geez what about letting people know that all reliable pillreports are founded upon an EZ test! Manipulating young people, Kamahl? Yeah people surf the net and find pillreports and decide hey what the fuck i'm gonna try ecstacy because it's on the internet! Pembodoh, pillreports like bluelight is an open exchange between drug users of infomation aimed at harm minimisation, ie it's for people who already use ecstacy and don't wanna die from PMA or other chem and who also wannta know that they're getting what they paid for. I think if it weren't for sites like pillreports we'd have a bunch a filthy bikies selling god knows what as X! All i can say is i'm glad i've run out of toilet papers at home and the front page of mX should substitute nicely!
/end rant.

So to the writer of the article, as you are reading this I understand, the ball is now in your court. We would like to hear your opinions on these issues as Jakoz expressed, but I beleive that in your follow up article you could maybe use some of the information we have to offer to clear up some misconceptions the media seem to have about our kind of website.
But after reading the artile it seems the Queensland Health department is doing its best to bad mouth us and maybe they are the ones who need to actually read through some of the information we have before claiming we manipulate young people with our overly positive attitude about drugs. Geee I can quote something out of context to :)

tars: heh, you beat me too it. sorry you had to type it, i coulda scanned it ;)
yup, it seems that MX has created this story simply by reading the Courier Mail article, looking up pillreports, and ringing one person from ADF for some incendiary quotes. Funny how this spokesperson for ADF says we are the devil, and their own CEO, Bob Adler, said we were inline with harm min strategies. I'll be trying to speak to both tomorrow.
I'll also be ringing up the author of the MX piece to give em a serve. I am sick to death of being denied a right of reply. They keep saying that "since we didn't mention your site by name we didn't think we needed to get a quote from you". Well fuck that. I'm off to (contructively) troll their site:
http://www.mxnet.com.au
update: hey they've got a poll! everyone should vote on it.
[ 22 April 2002: Message edited by: johnboy ]

Support Bluelight/PillReports..... follow this link and Vote NO to the government cracking down on drug related websites click here here

That first article is as dumb as a piece of shit, in fact, it's even more dumb than what i just said, how can a piece of shit be dumb?
Contradicions everywhere, most have been mentioned already, I am frustrated by this, argh! Have any of these people even been to a rave, or interviewed (or gotten to know) a drug user or had any them selves, none of them know what they are talking about. Burn in hell and stick to what you know (sorry for the harshness)
Can someone help me out here, I am confused.
EZ tests are legal to buy but illegal to use???
wouldn't that make buying them a waste of money cos you'd have to throw it in the bin to not break the law. And since the people who sell the product, know we aren't gonna waste money on something like this, cos we are going to use it, why aren't the authorities there to bust us before we break the law. Who made a fucked up law liek that? Perhaps someone from Legal Q&A can help me. The law is bullshit 9 times outta 10 *exaggerates* you know what I mean.
Tars: the second article was a bit better, had quotes from both sides letting the reader decide more. I agree, it would be intresting to read an article before [Iand after[/I] the editor got to it. Just for comparison.
Goverment sites don't premote safe use, they premote discontinue in use.
Argh, just disapear and let us be.

Ez Tests are legal to buy and illegal to use on illegal drugs.
That is the only context I can think they are trying to imply; ie if you use the kit with illegal drugs you must be in possesion of illegal drugs, ergo you are a criminal.
This blindingly brillant bit of logic could be taken further:
Cargo pants are legal to buy but illegal to use if you put drugs in them".
Sandwiches are legal to buy but illegal to use if you put drugs in them".
Your arse is legal to buy but illegal to use if you put drugs in it".
Well der...

95.22% NO
Really what did they expect?
They used an online poll.
I agree johnboy it'll be interesting to see if they publish it.