• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates lowering body temperature

hoopyfrood

Bluelighter
I had about 60 mg of hydrocodone last night... my tolerance is super low.

Anyway, I felt super sick this morning and my thermometer keeps saying 94 degrees F. I'm tempted not to believe it. Do opiates lower your body temperature?

Gettin hardcore nausea too. I dunno what I was thinking taking 60 mg with no tolerance, but that was last night. Opiate hangover?

Possibly a hangover, or possibly mild withdrawal symptoms, either way, 60mg without a tolerance is quite a lot indeed.

It's well established that opiate withdrawal causes your body temp. to go haywire, or at least you feel like it is. I've always felt warm and fuzzy while on opiates and then the opposite while I'm not on opiates. Never actually measured my temp. though...

If you have no tolerance and are feeling that way, it is most likely an opiate hangover. I used to get these when I wasn't very experienced with oxycodone and would binge on a few 30mg roxis in a night. Extreme headache, dizziness, nausea, sweating/cold... Horrible. It is either that, or less likely it could be due to excessive APAP consumption. This is unlikely, but what formulation of hydrocodone did you use, and did you do a CWE? Just speculating.

like an idiot, I didn't do a CWE. I took 7.5/325 ...

not all at once.

4 pills, then 4 more pills three or four hours later. so that's 2600 mg of apap (for some reason, my high self calculated 2000 mg last night). I also took it after eating a rather large piece of pizza.

^Ah alright well that isn't all that much APAP. Exceeding 4000mg in a day is when it starts to approach dangerous territory. If you don't take that much everyday it shouldn't be a big issue, unless you already had major liver issues. i am sure your crappy feeling is from the 'opiate hangover'.. Just try and rest. Keep hydrated and eat a small nutritious meal. It will dissipate by tonight I am sure.

Good luck

Alright. Thanks for the reassurance, brokendown. <3 bluelight

my temperature was 93... which is getting a bit too low, but it's gone up to 95. That's what was freaking me out the most. this makes me wanna not do opiates anymore. good riddance

Are you experiencing chills/hot flashes?

I find it hard to believe that you're down to 93-95 and you're not experiencing symptoms, but I'm with Brokedown, sounds like you just may have had too much opiates. If the APAP contributed at all, it was very little.

I think you may want to get a second opinion, a second thermometer's opinion, I mean. =D

Isn't hypothermia a known side effect of opiate withdrawal? I'd always thought so but after reading these posts I'm going to have to go double check ... Yeah just searching opiate hypothermia withdrawal gave off a load of hits. Google Scholar Search

I think its safe to say you over did it and you are now in acute withdrawal/hangover.

Hmmm... as far as the body temperature goes, I'm with neighborhood on this one. I don't trust the thermometer. My hands were shaking a bit and I found it really hard to focus though. Felt like I was going to pass out/fall asleep (I did take a nap... it felt more like nodding out though).

I thought you couldn't get withdrawal symptoms after using opiates twice (in a 4 hour period) and that being it (for like a month).

*note, the thermometer now says 97.3 degrees

It does sound like withdrawal symptoms (the shaking hands), although that can also be a sign of opiate overdose (go figure). I know you're weren't overdosing, however.

I would still go ahead and try and different thermometer. Some people's bodies are colder than others (mine is one of them, my usually temp. is around 97 degrees) but if that second thermometer gives you a drastically different reading, you may want to just replace your thermometer.

I would advice that if you have no tolerance don't take high doses. Work your way up until your body can handle high doses such as 60 mg you should be happy nothing more severe happened. And if you're worried about apap do a cold water extraction

Oh I'm happy nothing worse happened. And instead of working my way up to that high, I'm just going to avoid opiates altogether

Opiate hangover? I have heard of it, but opiates aren't supposed to give hangovers. You took far too much, 60 mg is not an appropriate dose for someone with almost no tolerance. Not surprised you want to avoid opiates altogether, and that is probably not bad, becuase of their obvious super-addictive qualities.

I congratulate you if your going to go through with this and not abuse opiates anymore. I can't kick my habit and I have done some things I'm not proud of to get drugs. Hopefully this experience will change you for the better

I guess I'm just used to drugs that only have a mental limit, so to speak (weed, acid, shrooms, etc), and not a physical limit. So overdosing wasn't on my mind when I popped four more. The head-drugs are a lot more enjoyable to me anyway, I think I'll stick with those.

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I never thought I'd say this and mean it as seriously as I do, but thank god for bluelight.

One more question for you guys:

I know opiates affect the respiratory center in your brain and can slow your breathing. I noticed that whenever I'd nod out today (I'm not sure if I was *still* nodding or if I was just tired), I wouldn't feel the need to breathe at all. I got paranoid and had to force myself to take long, deep breaths... then I'd start to nod off and dream again, then break off the nod because I noticed I hadn't taken a breath in like 5 to 10 seconds. I repeated that quite a bit today. Do you guys ever notice your breathing slow or stop?

Last edited:
^This is a typical experience and yes the need to breath reflex is exactly what is being killed. Breathing every 5 to 10 seconds corresponds to 6 to 12 breaths per minute with 12 being the average respiratory rate of a resting adult.