Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Panadeine Forte after speed ?

Blues Clues

Bluelighter
I was wandering if its ok to have panadeine forte after a night of useing speed?, is there any problems with doing so?

I doubt it, a decent dose of codiene shouldn't be any problem, its just a painkiller (a decent painkiller mind you, and one requires a prescription at the dosage level found in panadiene forte)... There's not much point combining speed and codiene, but since you're wondering about taking the panadiene forte after a night on speed, then no, there shouldn't be any problem... Nothing I've ever read or experienced (speed binge + bright sun = big headache + panadiene forte = pain-free relaxation) has indicated a problem...
That said, I'm no expert, so I could be wrong... Certainly hope I'm not tho...

This combo should be OK. Personally, I try to use the minimum dose necessary to treat the pain, to minimise the load on your liver (having just pumped all those nasty drugs through it).

actually was wondering the same thing this morning cos I really wanted a neurofen for a headache, but the only stuff I had was the extra strong with ibuprofen and 12.5 mg of codeine in every tablet! Regular panadeine has only about 8.5... anyway, would there be contraindications for ibuprofen after meth/pills? I always stress about this stuff :)

Ibuprofen is normally better for your liver than acetaminophen. (paracetamol). Normally that is, as I’m reluctant to say how "well" your liver could be after a night of pills, powders, and play.

As babydoc indicated, acetaminophen can get metabolised into toxic N-acetyl-beta-benzoquinone imine, which can then lead to cell death. That can happen if: A) The dose is high or B) liver function has been affected.
web page

Everything being ok; low dose, liver functioning healthy etc., Paracetamol is metabolised by addition of a sulphate group or a glucuronide to the OH in position 4 of the aromatic ring. However enzymes for this job aren't always overabundant and they try to do the job quickly. If they are prioritised for Phase II metabolism, the liver calls on the heroes and villains of biochemistry, the P450 cytochromes (2E1 and 1A2)to deal with paracetamol. It’s these guys that produce the toxic intermediate.

Ibuprofen has a carboxylic acid group (COOH ) on the end of a molecule, which makes it somewhat like the C end of an amino acid. Your body has enzymes everywhere to deal with these sorts of compounds. In addition, these (NSAIDS) drugs work by inhibiting COX 1 & 2 enzymes. COX1 has different functions, and drugs which affect COX1 produce unwanted side effects such as nausea, skin reactions etc.

Ibuprofen on the other hand virtually ignores COX1 enzymes, and instead works by inhibiting COX2 types, which control inflammation - just the thing you want to reduce.

It’s unlikely the same cytochromes involved in metabolizing Ibuprofen (Phase I CYP 2C9) are affected by amphetamine, although amphetamine is listed as a CYP inhibitor (The only references I could find were to 2D6). Incidentally 2C9 is the metabolic pathway for THC.

In summary then, ibuprofen is generally better for you than acetaminophen. I haven’t heard of any reported amphetamine /codeine interactions, or ibuprofen /amphetamine interactions.
Like most things, the less NSAIDs are used, the better they tend to work. If you are not predisposed to headaches, but find they are a usual part of a hangover, try drinking more water during and after your play.

[Edit: paragraphed for VB; p_d]

Last edited:
^ nice one!
Remember ibuprofen may be contraindicated for some people (e.g., some asthmatics etc., individuals with the syndrome of nasal polyps, angioedema, and bronchospastic reactivity to aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents. Anaphylactoid reactions have occurred in such patients.)
BigTrancer :)

Thanks BT. I'll remember that. I was aware of the asthma thing - should of mentioned it…..wish I could write shorter more condensed & complete posts.
I didn’t know ibuprofen posed a risk of causing anaphylactic shock, my pharmacology texts don’t mention it, but I did a search and wow!
A reminder there’s no such thing as a drug that’s ok for everyone. : )

Re: pills and ibuprofen, I wouldn't recommend taking ibuprofen before or during MD**. This is me speculating now, but apparently marathon runners who pre-dose with ibuprofen (to reduce aches during the race) have a higher incidence of developing hyponatremia. Given that hyponatremia is linked with MD** too, I say err on the side of caution and avoid it. But once you're coming down I doubt it's an issue.
The other issue is that ibuprofen is way nasty on the stomach, and is best taken with food (something you probably have no interest in after a night out). So try and have them with some milk/smoothie/fruit something. Mind you, one dose shouldn't be too irritating.
Re: codeine and MDMA, assuming MDMA inhibits CYP2D6, as mentioned here Non-linear pharmacokinetic's of MDMA in humans
In vitro data also suggest that MDMA, in addition to being
a substrate, acts as an inhibitor of CYP2D6 activity
One might find codeine (which is only effective once it has been activated by CYP2D6 into morphine, see here) less effective after MDMA.

Thanks for all the excellent info people! There's an FAQ :) . What with all the stuff you put in your body on a night out, only to need a neurofen the next morning, it's kinda ironic.
Wish I'd studied pharmacology :) it's all so interesting!

Just a note -- codeine can be rather hard on the stomach too, especially on an EMPTY stomach after a night of stimulant use.

i agree with fairnymph.
i took one panadeine forte the other day, probably about 20 hours after having speed, and hardly any food.
not only was it not good for my tummy, it knocked me on my feet (seeing as i had an empty stomach, it hit me much harder)
normally i wouldn't feel anything off 1 forte. but this time i def. did.
as a side note: don't take anything with aspirin in it after taking pills.