• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Roxanol - Morphone Sulfate Oral - safe to take after being stored at very low temps?

Synesthesia

Bluelighter
i acquired a bottle of roxonal oral sol. it is about a year past expiration date, and has been stored in a car during a new york winter. is it safe to take? im sure it might have lost potency. any input would be greatly appreciated.

bizump

mod note: please don't bump your own posts

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive taken MS contin that was 2 years expired and it was fine i didnt really notice a difference in potency at all

i know that pills are fine way past their expiration date, but this is liquid. and it hasnt been stored at optimal temp. prolly was below freezing at some point. ty for your speedy response.

anyone else have any input? TIA

mod note: If you want to add an additional thought after posting please use the edit button instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be fine. If anything, it might have lost a little potency, but assume that it has not when you first try it.

And, cold temperatures are better in terms of chemical stability. The only reason some medications warn against that is that freezing and/or cold temperatures can mess up the consistency of some preparations (by breaking emulsions, in particular), or by causing the active component to precipitate out, causing unreliable dosage if it's taken _while_ cold or poorly mixed.

Yup, as long as it's not obviously gritty/slush or filled with mould it should be fine

thank you guys. i appreciate you taking the time to reply. one more question, would sublingual be the best ROA?

^Please ensure your information is correct before posting.

Morphine is heavily metabolized in first pass of the liver. In fact oral administration is only about 50% 25% bioavailability. IVing is of course highest (though the risks with that are numerous especially for your situation). The way to get the best bang for you buck in my opinion would be rectal dosing. Though of course there are risks with that as well.

Last edited:
^Morphine's oral and rectal bioavailabilities are both right around 30%. The Rectal BA isn't more efficient than oral, its just appealing to some due to a much quicker, stronger onset.

its just appealing to some due to a much quicker, stronger onset.
^That is what I was referring to as 'best bang for your buck' but I should have clarified better.

I definitely remember reading 50% by oral but of course different studies (/wikipedia articles perhaps? haha) have different outcomes.

The bioavailability and pharmacokinetics of morphine after intravenous, oral and buccal administration in healthy volunteers. - This study puts the absolute oral bioavailability of its subjects at 23.9%.

A comparative study of the efficacy and pharmacokinetics of oral methadone and morphine in the treatment of severe pain in patients with cancerstar - This study puts morphine's mean oral bioavailability at 26 ± 13%.

Systemic absorption of nebulized morphine compared with oral morphine in healthy subjects - This one puts it at 24 ± 13%.

If you have any studies demonstrating higher oral BA's I'd like to read them. I basically just put the terms into google scholar and pulled out the first few results I saw.

I won't disagree with that and I know that the widely accepted oral to IV is 4:1 so 50% must have jumped into my head from something I was reading and I can definitely still see it. That being said I may have just misinterpreted some other stat. I'll go through my internet history from last night and find it for you cane :D

edit:
Not crazy phew..

Pain Physician 2008: Opioid Special Issue: 11: S133-S153 • ISSN 1533-3159
http://www.painphysicianjournal.com/2008/march/2008;11;S133-S153.pdf
To paraphrase:
"40 to 50 percent of morphine taken orally reaches the brain."

I suppose this might not equate to bio-availability but must of been what made my fingers type out fifty percent.

Last edited: