Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Alpha-lipoic Acid & Neutralisation

Mirage

Bluelighter
I take Alpha-lipoic Acid (Thioctic Acid) every now and then, generally after a big night out as it's a potent antioxidant. I find that about 5-10 minutes after consumption of 1 30mg capsule (dose isn't really important here I'm just putting it in for the hell of it) my stomach becomes *gasp* very acidic and a bit uncomfortable. I have a strong stomach so it's not really that bad but it's uncomfortable so I usually drink milk, because it's slightly basic, to stop the discomfort.
My question is this: When I drink milk to relieve the discomfort am I actually neutralising the ALA and destroying its potency making it pointless to have taken it?
If so, how long should I stay away from milk and other food & drinks and could compromise the effects of the Alpha-lipoic Acid?
I don't always drink milk but I find it has the best effect; water seems to do nothing unless I drink a lot (2-3 long glasses) of it.
Any thoughts and recommendations would be much appreciated. :)
[ 17 April 2002: Message edited by: Mirage ]

Have you tried having the capsules with food? Sometimes any kind of capsule (ie. 5-HTP, vitamins, etc) can make you feel nauseous and shit if you have large amounts on an empty stomach. I find quite often if I have a big dose of 5-HTP on an empty stomach I feel quite nauseous.
BigTrancer :)

No I haven't for some reason I thought they were meant to be taken on a empty stomach..
You didnt answer my question either. :p
Does anyone know if I'm just being paranoid or if I'm right?
[ 17 April 2002: Message edited by: Mirage ]

My recommendation:
Alpha-lipoic acid can be taken either with or without food. Common dosages for antioxidant protection and/or protection from various forms of free-radical induced conditions range from 100-200mg daily.
Alpha-lipoic acid is very safe at commonly recommended dosages, although occasionally it causes mild stomach upset and in rare cases it can trigger an allergic skin rash. If you experience any of these reactions, reduce the dose or stop taking the supplement.
BigTrancer :)

lol...
rash you say bt? *giggles at mirage*
i recommend you taste this stuff everyone, especially when you're coming down. just bite the bastard open and suck like it's a lolly! it's a really fruity, sweet taste. give it a go.
i've never experienced stomach discomfort from it.

This is something that has occurred to me as well. I think that you are neutralizing some of the ALA when you drink milk after taking it. The neutralization explains why you feel better... how much you are neutralizing I do not know.
My solution? Eat something that settles your stomach but that is not basic -- like some plain bread/toast/crackers. (Btw, I know it's hard to eat when you are on e/speed but just force yourself!).

I always thought that 30mg would be sufficent. *shrugs* Your help is much apprecieated :)
Don't listen to apollo he's being a cockspank.
If you bite one of these surprise packages open and the liquid touches your throat, you'll be coughing for then next 10 mintes or so. I made this mistake only once. :D
[ 19 April 2002: Message edited by: Mirage ]