Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Solvent in pills?

ChrisV

Bluelighter
Is there typically still reaction solvent present in pills? If so which solvents - chloroform, dichloro - and would the amount be significant?
I'm wondering if that's a contributor to "rough on the stomach" pills.

Organic solvents are used in various stages of MDMA production. The last reaction stage usually uses an alcohol as a solvent, but final rinses of ether, toluene or DCM are used to wash the crystals.
Some small portion of solvent would remain, and could account for some incidents, but it could also be a host of other things which are responsible for pills which make people queasy or vomit.
Things such as dimers (2 MDMA like molecules "stuck together") and small impurities that are not removed by solvent washing could be the culprits. Production methods using halo compounds have been found to contain several possible impurities.
MDMA impurities
Also, some pills smell less "solventy" and more "safroly". MDMA should not really smell like safrole, although I would imagine everything in such a preparation area would to some degree.
Perhaps un-reacted safrole or isosafrole is present in some pills. If the ketone was present, even in small amounts, it could make you very sick. Questions such as how well is the lab run?, come to mind – cleanliness, product consistency, etc.
Even certain binder combinations could be unsettling to some stomachs. If the pill dissolves quickly in your stomach, mucous cells may be irritated. There are lots of factors here, not least the unknowns in pills.
Also remember that people react differently to drugs like MDMA. Mention has been made here many times of the possible problems associated with low 2D6 levels or other isozymes (depending on where you read it, the figure could be as high as 1 in 15 people),
Perhaps it is common substitutes. It would be interesting to note the "rough on the stomach potential" of substitutes i.e. does a drug like ketamine make you more inclined to spew than MDMA?
[ 09 April 2002: Message edited by: phase_dancer ]