Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Cold & Flu medicines and Pills

doVe

Bluelighter
Just a friendly advice to you all..
I discovered this fairly nastily trying to celebrate my b'day and be well.. 'merry'.. and i had taken a couple dimetapp cold&flu meds before the anticipated party.. (hours ago thou)
and to my disappointment.. i ended up munching three bickies, red kangaroos (that sure put everyone else in la la land), and not feeling anything more than a slight drunkenness.
So if you have taken those meds, don't bother :) (this happened before as well, but then i only had two halves...waste of money really)
be well & party hard.

It would be helpful doVe if you could post what the active ingredients of the medication in question are, so that people could compare them with other ones, as this is more likely to be a problem spanning a particular type of cold & flu medicines rather than just one brand.
Bummer about the pills though.
-plaz out-

I got the following from rxlist.com...
Dimetapp Cold and Flu contains acetaminophen / brompheniramine / phenylpropanolamine
Read all about it here!
As for why it didn't work with pills (MDMA I assume) I have no idea - over to the experts on that one... :)
{edit}
The following paragraph from that above link is quite interesting:
Do not take acetaminophen/brompheniramine/phenylpropanolamine if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur, leading to serious side effectsI'm not going to guess why the MDMA didn't work, but I assume from this that Dimetapp cold and flu interacts with the same or similar parts of your brain that MDMA effects (because you can't take MDMA with MAOI's either)... I don't know enough about this to confidentally quote facts though...
But with this info I'm sure someone will be able to help you... :)
[ 04 April 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

Didn't no about the above interaction, but i thought i'd add that many cold pharms also contain DXM, which is contraindictive to MDMA, so if ya on Logicin/ or other related DXM containing pharms then pilling mightn't be the best idea. Flu remedies that dabble in the serotonin system, quizzical!

Pleo: 10 points for effort :) , but that's actually the American formulation - rxlist is US info.
The Australian formulation contains: DIMETAPP COLD & FLU LIQUID CAPS
Dextromethorphan hydrobromide 10 mg, pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30 mg, paracetamol 300 mg
and then theres this formulation: DIMETAPP COLD, COUGH & FLU - DAY & NIGHT LIQUID CAPS Day: dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg, pseudoephedrine HCl 30 mg, paracetamol 300 mg; 18 orange. Night: dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg, pseudoephedrine HCl 30 mg, paracetamol 300 mg, doxylamine succinate 6.25 mg;
As for why the pills didn't work, maybe the stimulant effects of the pseudoephedrine (which has a half-life of up to 16 hours) over rode the empathic effects of the e. That's all I can think of - there aren't any metabolic interactions. And while DXM is an ingredient, it is in a small quantity only, and taken hours before it is unlikely to interact.
[ 05 April 2002: Message edited by: babydoc_vic ]

Interesting... I assumed it wasn't an american formula because of the following:
Phenylpropanolamine, an ingredient in this product, has been associated with an increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding into the brain or into tissue surrounding the brain) in women. Men may also be at risk. Although the risk of hemorrhagic stroke is low, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends that consumers not use any products that contain phenylpropanolamineNot saying I'm right, just it's interesting that an American product would contain a substance that's against the recomendation of their own advisory board...
And theoretically, what would have been the cause if it was the above formula I mentioned? It's made me all curious now... ;)
doVe: go grab the box and post the contents just to make 100% sure - although I seriously doubt babydoc's got it wrong... :)
[ 05 April 2002: Message edited by: Pleonastic ]

Pleo: the dead giveaway that you've got the US version is the word acetaminophen, which is the American word for paracetamol. Nonetheless, it would be good for doVe to post the ingredients as there are two other Aus formulas of Dimetapp cold and flu that I didn't post (cos I was lazy)

the second big give away is that there is no phenylpropanolamine in any australian cold tablets
SirLSD