• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

War on drugs - Unofficial police comments...

Genasirus

Bluelighter
Just a bit of a pre-face before you get into it - An acquaintence of mine has worked in the upper intelligence arm of the Victorian Police force for around 8 years or so now and I posed a brief series of questions to him with regards to the Governments proclaimed 'War on Drugs'.
Please note everything herein is in no way official or endorsed by any institution, legal, government or otherwise. Its merely an e-mail transcript and purely the opinion of one man :)
Hope you all get something out of it and whilst I realise the body of it has a condescending nature, please be mindful of the fact that this only comes from a personality resultant of exposure - just in case you feel the need to leave one word insults etc :)
Enjoy
Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 10:46 AM
Subject: Just wondering...
> Ive got another lil query... I spend a lot of time wandering around the
> 'rave' scene and have a lot of friends into it etc, been going on now
> about 2 years so I've seen quite a few sides to it and all that sort of
> shit :) But my question is, the goverments proclaimed 'war on drugs'.
> How does the internal police force see it?
>
> A lot of my friends make a bit of a mockery of it but then is a totally
> serious nature behind it... but I just see the media image of the target
> for this 'war on drugs' that all the parents and concerned citizens are
> aiming at, eventuates to be their own children, or their kids best
> friend... that sort of thing.
>
> The upper echelons of it all are obviously as bad as it goes.. but for
> the recreational weekend users and such .. just seems the general
> population fails or is unwilling to recognise a distinction between the
> two, or at least cant due to lack of or false knowledge ?? Any
> thoughts?
>
Greetings Again....................
The internal police force overall would simply see this as another vague
concept put forward by a group of people they deeply distrust. The only
effect at ground level may be a slight increase in small specified
operations against nightspots etc plus a minor media campaign, but the
opinion would be fairly apathetic I would feel. Make no mistake, there is
little love lost between governments and the police force. Politicians talk.
Thats all they do. The media simply self serve in the guise of service,
although on occasion are useful more by accident than design.
The above statements merely address the political aspect of this issue, as
you would no doubt ascertain. Ordinary street police are predominantly
practical creatures with little time for abstract conceptual thought, ergo
they will perform the legal function where appropriate but underneath will
feel that the choice to do "E" or the associated substances is not so much a
legal matter as being outright dangerous, although I have worked with people
who have used it.
Any person who has had experience in dealing with a typical clandestine drug
laboratory, whether they be police, forensic sciences, or the rare astute
observer such as yourself, knows that these operations are at best ad - hoc,
extremely dangerous in terms of chemical instability and poisoning, in
addition to being run by people of extremely dubious backgrounds with "just
enough" knowledge to produce MDMA and associated. I have had a bit to do
with this subject personally, and though I am not particularly perturbed at
an adult choice to use a substance, I would honestly say to you with no lie
that every time you do, you literally take your life in your hands and play
the lottery.
It does not concern a bucket chemist whether he poisons or kills anyone,
only if it effects sales of his product. Because most of these operations
are funded by groups quite well known to myself, it does not concern them
either. They figure, not their problem, you played, you lost. I think that
if the average rave user saw just where their drugs were made and by who,
and just what was in them, they may think again.
You know, reflectively, its a matter of getting away with it once, perhaps a
hundred times, perhaps only once. Tattslotto has interesting odds as
well.....You would not believe just what is in street grade Heroin, its
quite fascinating.
When it goes wrong, it is indeed nasty. The body changes perception of water
intake, the cranial fluid changes and the brain is effectively crushed
against the side of it's containment area. The damage is usually fatal. Many
other scenarios exist but this is the most common in the sense of fatality.
Its also very fast. Your friends get to watch.
And as long winded as the above sounds, it is merely a precis. The real
conversation takes far longer......................
It always amuses myself that perhaps there is a perception in some circles
that police have badges stitched on their pillows and arrest their
grandmothers on minor traffic matters. Bullshit.
The facts are that the majority of them have mopped up more human misery
than the common man can imagine, and are primarily interested in keeping the
kids ALIVE first and foremost, rather than playing Starsky and Hutch.......
So, the above would be the "internal police view", at least in the clear
majority.
I hope my humble offerings have sated your questions...........
All the best

Seems like a decent letter, and reasonable... I wouldnt have expected such a level headed response.
Far and away the most intelligent I have ever heard a cop sound.

That is indeed a level headed normal person type response to a query. But dont forget most of the ideas we have of the police force are those pushed apon us by the media and those the police force officially want us to see or hear.
Our impressions of police is what we are molded into thinking by constant brainwashing by our sensationalist media. Fair enough a lot of police maybe like the stereotypes but then again some may be normal level headed people and others are possibly corrupt maniacs.

Wow! nice letter, maybe cops arnt all that narrow-minded after all. makes you think a bit doesnt it.

Being a cop would be a prick of a job - when people are caught doing something illegal (i hesitate to use the word wrong though) they are hated, but when when someone is in trouble they are expected to help, often without thanks.
Sure there are some arrogant fucks in the police force, but there are arrogant fucks in every profession. Treat them like people and they will be more likely to treat you the same.
To everyone that hates cops, just imagine what the world would be like without them...

Good friend of mine is the Snr Sgt in charge of the local cop shop. I remember some P-Platers did a huge burnout in front of her house one nite. She came out, stopped them and fined the guy and took his license away for 3 months. Sounds pretty harsh doesnt it.
To put it in perspective, 2 guys from his school, same year level had been killed about a K away a few hours earlier that nite. She was first cop on the scene and had to help scrape the kids off the road.
It's when you hear things like this that you realise how fucked the job can be, and also why they have a lot of the attitudes they do. They get so sick of seeing misery that they just want to wipe out everything that causes it. I can understand that. You have to always remember, they don't make the laws, they only enforce them. However, having said that, the way they enforce the law sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.
Also, don't be afraid to put in a complaint if you think a cop has treated you badly, and I don't mean he was a prick when he busted you with a pound of dope. I'll give an example. A few years ago, I was at a local party. A few guys got out of hand out the front (who were gatecrashers anyways) and the cops were called. When they got there a friend of mine was getting angry trying to get rid of the gatecrashers. I was trying to calm him down and telling him to let the police deal with it. An over excited cop decided I was the trouble maker and pushed me over. I'd broken my back about 6 months earlier, so you can imagine that it hurt like hell. I went to my friend and complained about him. He ended up getting a talking to (unnofficially). The reason was that so many police hate these kinds of coppers, cos it gives the whole force a bad name.
Most police are good people, and are there for YOUR protection. Respect them, and remember they're human too, and you'll probably find them a whole lot easier to deal with.
Oh yeah, one more thing, in response to a previous comment... If a cop helps you with ANYTHING, thank them, it's only polite.

That first post certainly shattered a few preconceived notions that I have held about police.
It is nice to know that at least some of them care more about 'keeping kids alive' than playing cops & robbers.
I guess the bit about the drug issue that I get stuck on is that if I choose to consume recreational chemicals - alchol or other - I am making a choice. I feel that I am quite well aware of the health risks that I am taking, but I believe that I should be entitled to make that choice.
Persecuting mature well-informed end-users seems a little unfair to me.

*jumps on bandwagon* ;)
Politions talk the talk, but its the police that have to walk the walk as a result

We should have another bluelight fundraiser and donate the proceeds to a police charity :p
I reckon that'd shatter a few misconceptions :)

That is a very interesting letter, and level-headed view on things. But what we have to remember is, police have two sides.
(a) Talking to someone as a friend; and
(b) talking to someone as a police officer.
If you walked up to that guy on the street and asked him the same question i'm pretty sure he wouldnt have said any of that and would have said the "drugs are bad and i will arrest everyone who even thinks about touching drugs". Police are police and they are people, it just depends which side they show you.
Problem with people thinking about 'asshole cops' is that most that people come in contact with are they traffic operations group. Who are born and bred assholes, who will book their own mother for speeding. Although once or twice there has been a nice one accidently slip through the cracks in that division.

Psychotik: if you walked up to this guy on the street and asked him that question he would give you the exact same response.
The police arent getting around trying to make your night shit because they have found a joint on you. They are killing time until they have to pry two guys apart that have just tried to slice each other open with machettes, or a man from hospitalising his wife after hes come home drunk...
The end fact is simply that drugs are illegal - possesion and consumption. Whilst we might get annoyed about it, is fuck all we can do. If your found by a copper carrying 5 pills... hand em over or do whatever you feel is necessary. Start screaming in the face of the guy about an unjust system and you will end up dealing with that 'asshole pig' that everyone seems to think is wandering around the streets permanently.

i like the way your thinking
We should have another bluelight fundraiser and donate the proceeds to a police charity :p
I reckon that'd shatter a few misconceptions
this is similar to what the motorcycle clubs did to change public opinion of their lifestyle choices... but it takes millions of $s in charitable acts... so maybe richie could look into it. what do you say richie, wanna give something back on behalf of the community?!
if your motivated by great feats/acts of hunanity...
www.tranceplant.org

It does not concern a bucket chemist whether he poisons or kills anyone,
only if it effects sales of his product
my poor bleeding heart...
so what are the basic laws of business again?
...the statement ... is total bullshit...

The statement is entirely correct. Chemists dont make this stuff then sell them in singles and 5's at parties, they pass on 20,000 and so if 5 or 10 steps down the line someone dies, like they care.
Obviously if they release a batch thats full of glass/heroin/cocaine/ratsack :)P) and they get 10,000 people die - fair chance they wouldnt make any more / be out of business.
The point is they are concerned about sales, not wether or not some lil guy with an allergy to a compound ends up in a coma 7 months from production date.
(Yes I realise your going to retort with 'but to aid sales why would he kill of his market place' but the kids on the street arent his(her? :) ) market place... the guy that buys 20 / 30 / 40 / 50,000 at a time are the intended audience)

^^^ none of the above deals with the fact that it is prohibition that has caused the "bucket chemists" to exist in the first place. but alas the prohibition comes from the politicians. not the policemen.