Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

General Anaesthetic & Recreational Drugs

BUMPMEK

Bluelighter
Does anyone know the effects what will happen if you happen to be having a General Anaesthetic Day Surgery Op & the night before it you go out and get on it? E or speed i mean? They have said u can't eat from 6am that morning till the time they put you in, i was just curious if going out the night before will have a severe case on your surgery next day? It was just out of curiousity..... so don't go biting my head off thinking i'm planning 2 do this. :)

I don't know what would happen, because I doubt anyone's actually dumb enough to have done this to find out... if you think about it logically you'd realise that this would be a pretty fucking stupid thing to do...
They're gunna use powerful substances to knock you out - it would not be a good idea to have any drugs in your system. Especially illegal uncontrolled ones...
I won't bite your head off because you were going to do this, i'll bite your head off for not realising this yourself... ;)

are you asking whether technically there would be some contraindictions (sp?) or whether you'd get in shit / it would bugger up surgery etc ?
I don't know about the chemical side of it im sure someone will, but i dont think pleo's head biting was granted ..
that really didnt help did it ? ;)

If it happened - even accidently, just be sure to tell your doctor before you are being wheeled in. A large number of things are still ok with general, but then again I'm sure there are are large number that are not. That anethestist(sp?) doesn't get billed for nothing - if in doubt ask, no one will bite your head off :)

The major problem I could see is that an elevated level of stimulants persisting in your system could result in the anaesthetics underdosing you initially - meaning they didn't knock you out properly with the general. An added anaesthetic dose could overshoot perhaps?
Smoking cigarettes prior to surgery can also increase the risk of bronchospasm and after-surgery breathing irritation.
Often for general anaesthesia, a benzodiazepine called midazolam is used (sometimes in combination with other sedatives/narcotics used to calm or sedate a patient prior to arriving in theatre), and care is always taken to maintain a close watch on the respiratory and circulatory functions of the patient. The anaesthetist usually stays with the patient throughout the operation maintaining observation.
If you have any doubts, just ask the doctors prior to surgery. You should also inform them if you are taking any substances which act as monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) because these may reduce the amount of anaesthetic required.
BigTrancer :)

Thanks BigTrancer, that was the most informative reply i was after.
What did you mean by the smoking thing... coz that is a very bothering issue that one :)
Hugggggggz 8)

Aside from the posible OD typy effects of mixing drugs, many recreational drugs increase your heart rate and blood pressure.
If u'r gonna be cut open I don't think the surgeon will appreciate your heart going overtime and blood flowing too fast!
Also - don't some substances thin your blood, making it hard to control?? (alcohol?)

BUMPMEK: I can't really imagine a worse way to spend a come-down than recovering from an operation. If the mixing of drugs isn't a deterant, then the low low that would be experienced after it all would hardly make up for the short lived high. In a case like this, the only sensible advice is that of a trained professional, which none of us can really claim to be. Play it safe - Good Luck :)

well, I was told not to drink alcohol after I got my wisdom teath out, so I guess using MDMA after or before wouldn't be a very good thing either.
Just off the subject a bit. I'm wondering if doctors learn about MDMA and other recreational drugs at school? I had to tell the doctor once that I had used MDMA and this is what he said to me "huh? MDMA, what's that?" I said to him "XTC" and he looked at me like a fool. I wont be telling a doctor anything like that again. I wasn't impressed.

Psy Dancer it was merely a question ok. It isn't a major operation, i was just wanting to know the effects of if u did go out the night before a General Anaesthetic if there would be complications and BigTrancer answered it thankyou for you input anyway :\
Besides this forum is to ask questions, u can never have enough knowledge, it's not to throw criticism at people who aren't in the know!
AND ANOTHER THING.... i wasn't enquiring about going out after the Op, it was the night before the Op okay!!!!
[ 14 March 2002: Message edited by: BUMPMEK ]

BUMPMEK sorry i came on 2 strong but i thought common sense would prevail. this is a forum for asking HM questions but i dont think any 1 with any brains at all would take MDXX,METH or any other drug the night before having an op, no matter how big or small the op is.

Well, I'm gathering from the posts here that the general opinion of people is that they would avoid drugs the night before a hospital operation (particularly a general anaesthetic, 6am fasting operation). I tend to agree personally - I know that if I was going into hospital I would be going there for one purpose: to get well. In order to do that I would be doing as little harm to my body as possible immediately prior to the operation.
The information was requested, and some people tried to help, but I think that from this point onward, it's up to BumpMeK to decide for herself. Ultimately the final choice, and the responsibility for those choices rests upon her shoulders, so I think that any further replies to this thread should be limited to discussion of contraindications of illegal drugs with general anaesthetics.
In particular - on the topic, if anyone knows the common cocktails that are given prior to anaesthetic, and/or the major types of general anaesthetics that are used for different surgeries, I would be very interested. This kind of chemical information makes me intensely curious. What does it take to make someone go to sleep so deeply that they can be taken apart, and put back together, without noticing a thing?

When I was knocked out to get my wisdom teeth removed (45min operation) I think they used an intravenous injection of pethidine (opiate). I'd imagine (without being a doctor) that having amphetamines in your system would interact with this because it would probably normally slow your breathing and heart rate down for the duration of the operation. I also had two blood pressure monitors attached to me - the anaesthetist said this was because it's an important factor and he likes to use two in case one fails.
So from that I conclude, if you're going to go out on the pills or the meth the night before for christ sake tell them when you get there - and prepare to be sent home with a future appointment reminder in your hand.

Although you asked about E and speed, which are stimulants, bear in mind that some recreational drugs such as K and GHB are anaesthetics anyway, so there would be potential for overdose if you were to add a general anaesthetic the next morning to the cocktail already in your bloodstream. Alcohol would also be dangerous.

BT: you've got your gases (like nitrous, halothane etc) and your IV aneasthetics. For a day procedure like an endoscopy, they use "twilight sedation"(not quite a G.A), common meds are IV midazolm (short acting benzo)and fentanyl (short acting narcotic). Another combo is droperidol (a butyrophenone/neuroleptic) with fentanyl (the combo is called neuroleptanalgesia).
From what I know of BUMPMEK's procedure, I imagine she will get the midaz/fentanyl combo, and maybe a local anaesthetic (which may be combined with adrenaline to minimise bleeding).
IV drugs for a G.A include the barbiturates (thiopentone and methohexitone), propofol (may be given with midazolam and fentanyl), and ketamine. Neuromuscular blocking agents (like suxamethonium, atracurium) may also be used in G.A to relax/paralyse muscles. Anti-muscarinic agents like atropine may also be used prior to G.A to reduce salivary and bronchial secretions, and after the procedure to reverse the effects of neuromuscular blockers.
Common pre-meds for a major procedure are morphine IM and oral diazepam.
This doesn't include any of the stuff that might be needed during a procedure to deal with complications that arise. Info that wasn't pulled from my head was pulled from Pharmacology and the Nursing Process.
[ 21 March 2002: Message edited by: babydoc_vic ]

Thanks babydoc_vic! I love it when you talk dirty to me. ;)
That's plenty of food for my search engine.

Time for more dirty talk ;)
From the Worldwide Physiologist (my favourite page for info on cytochrome P450 stuff), fentanyl is metabolised by CYP2D6. MDMA seems to be both metabolised by and an inhibitor of CYP2D6. Generally inhibition lasts about 3 days, so using MDMA up to 3 days before getting fentanyl could result in higher than expected blood levels of fentanyl. You would therefore want to tell the anaesthetist you'd used MDMA, a known inhibitor of CYP2D6 before the op (they may not know this). Chances are, they may not proceed with the op, therefore I'd say you are far better off avoiding MDMA for at least 3 days before either a G.A or twilight sedation.
Codeine (commonly used for pain after day procedures) can't be activated if CYP2D6 has been inhibited=no pain relief. Which would be sucky.
(EDIT: I should have said "MDMA is mainly metabolised by CYP2D6 (About 80%) and by CYP3A4 to a lesser extent (about 20%). It also appears to inhibit CYP2D6." That is far more accurate :)
[ 21 March 2002: Message edited by: babydoc_vic ]

Originally posted by BigTrancer:

This kind of chemical information makes me intensely curious. What does it take to make someone go to sleep so deeply that they can be taken apart, and put back together, without noticing a thing?

I totally agree :) it's such a completely bizarre thing!! thanks for all that info babydoc_vic, you've satisfied a curiosity I've had for ages. apparently when they put poeple under on ketamine they used to have horrible hallucinations, doesn't sound typical at all does it... ;)