• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Hidden charges on importing health suppliments? (On behalf of MezzedUp)

Dante

Bluelight Crew
Thought I'd do this so that people can see this...
Has anyone who's imported stuff like supplements (incl 5htp) got some ridiculous invoice for govt. charges, quarantine inspection and so on?? I just got a letter in the mail saying that I owe the delivery company around $100 for the privelidge of importing something that only cost me that much in the first place (ie, 2 bottles of 5htp). That's $100 worth of hidden charges that I so cannot afford right now, and with no warning from the delivery company (even tho I had correspondence with them before the parcel was passed for delivery) I'm feeling very pissed off.
Any info anyone might have on this would be muchly appreciated. You can email me at <[email protected]>
I'm trying to get in contact with customs to make some enquiries about this, but if anyone has experience with this sorta thing, you just may be my saviour. Sooooo not happy!
Any ideas???

Thanx Dante..
The letter came from the delivery company..
The items listed on the invoice were as follows:
Customs Charges:
Aust Govt charges 49.65
Aust Govt tradegate* 4.27
Quarantine inspection fee 41.80
DHL Charges:
Disbursement Fee 9.00
There was attatched a copy of some printout from quarantine, which doesn't help me understand anything as it's all in abbreviations, but at least lets me know that they understand it's for home use, not resale...
I'm in the process of having the delivery company explain to me exactly why my package incurred these charges and a more detailed description of what the charges are..

Dante,
I had exactly the same experience with some <dietary supplement> that I ordered from the states earlier in the year.
I too was well pissed off. At the very least I would have liked the courier company to call me to check if I wanted them to pay on my behalf.
In the end, I figured that there wasn't really much that I could do so I paid up.
One alternative would be to have a friend in the US buy it for you and mail it rather than courier it in. Although if they declared it as "dietary supplement" it would probably get opened anyway, but at least customs would get in touch with you to pay them before it was released to you - giving you the option not to receive the goods.
If you don't have a friend in the US then, like me, you are shit outta luck. :) I hear a rumour that they are in the process of reassessing 5HTP in Aus and that we might be able to buy it OTC in a couple of years.
If you can't afford to post-load, you can't afford to pill I reckon.

Ok. Here is a site that will help you avoid stupid courier charges.
http://www.biosynergy.com/5htp.htm
They send it by air mail not air courier so you get no charges at all. This is where i got mine from... its a liitle more expensive than some other places but it works out cheaper in the end cause you pay no extra charges. Delivered to your door in the mail.
Hope this helps and enjoy your post loads :) :)
[ 18 March 2002: Message edited by: praetorian ]