• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

growing peyote & san pedro legal in NZ ?

rufisdickler

Bluelighter
i'm a newbie to growing anything really but thought i'd give growing some cacti a try..
first off i can't even seem to find out which are legal to grow in NZ? is it legal to grow these two here? and where to start ? any good guides for this sort of thing. i'm just looking to grow one or two plants for personal use.. Peyote or San Pedro
any info, tips or suggestions would be great..

I think you'll find your biggest problem is Peyote takes about 5-15 years to mature.Personally i'm still going to do it,i'd fucking love to trip of something i spent 15 years taking care of :) Besides where are you going to buy Mescaline??
Cheers :)
I think you'll find most of the info you want here www.erowid.org (maybe not the legal status though)
[ 06 February 2002: Message edited by: akshEn74 ]

fuck!!.....
what do you mean about buying the mescaline...
.... isn't the mescaline in the cacti thats the main reason for me growing it..

Go to google, and do a search. IMO it's prob not gonna be worth it if ur interested in just getting high. It takes 3-5 years to grow, so u have to be really interested in horticulture to want to pursue this.
I found a link telling you how to grow, didnt look very detailed, and also a link to a book that I would guess would describe it a lot more detail. I'm not going to post those links here, if you want them, learn how to use google.
This thread will probably be closed soon as peyote is a class A drug in NZ:
New Zealand Drug Foundation

Do your homework if botanomancy or horticulture is your interest. As anfalicous said, it’s all out there. At least in Aus. anyway
About the only things you definitely won't find listed for sale in Aus. are cannabis and coca and probably opium.
Of course growing many of these plants may violate laws in your state so check first, but it does seem that in the interests of gardening, such rules are sometimes overlooked.
Years ago while growing up in NZ, we were all aware someone could legally (well almost) grow opium poppies, provided they weren't cut or bled. The unfortunate side to this was that several friends got into smack from first getting into opium stolen from old ladies gardens. They would search out the gardens during the day and sneak back at night for a quick dash and snatch. One guy actually cut the bulbs early morning, then sneaked back at the end of the day to collect.
When I was back in NZ in 94, I met 2 (both very straight) people who were growing opium, to sell the dried heads in flower arrangements. Apparently at the time it was perfectly legal. Don't know bout these days though.
These cactii do take ages to grow, with peyote really only practical for ornamental purposes. The seven years or so required to produce enough fat buttons for a hit is just too long. With every person who sees it, the odds it won’t be there in 7 years also increase. Of course unless you could buy them already grown…..er, you would want to have lots of money.
Most of the others are around. Salvia, ayahuasca vine, phalaris, ephedra nevadensis, Californian poppy, wild lettuce, khat, kava, etc. etc.
Apart from peyote, and that too makes ya sick –fuckin experience though! - the others mentioned for one reason or another have never been all that popular. Take salvia. How many people love it, like say dope? Kava makes you sick. DMT is way too much for most, and poppies and wild lettuce are reported to be hardly intoxicating at all.
About the best contenders from those listed, are probably khat ..never tried it though, and the ephedra strain, which may be legal in Australia. Reports vary as to the alkaloid content of nevadensis, so the locally grown variety may be nothing special.
As for san pedro, I found it the weirdest shit. If you are going to do it, always make sure you have a straight co-pilot along, as really out of it people seem to think they can do all sorts of things - such as drive!
I’ll stick to my tomatoes and gerberas :)

well i only managed to get mylself a very small around 5.5 inch tall san pedro (well at least i think it is - it looks exactly like one from the pics i've seen but the tag just says "Trichocereus species" )from the local nursery... i'm gonna try to grow it but would still actually like to find a decent size one so i can take a cutting of the top and try it...i'll keep looking....
is it legal to order seeds and cuttings from overseas and bring them into NZ...
i'm thinking of getting some morning glory, wormwood, opium poppy, maybe some salvia clippings and other seeds... but someone told me i cant bring seeds in from another country is this true?

grow the san pedro for a few months to a year to get it big enough. better yet buy some more now and grow many.
quarantine will confiscate and distroy any seeds that(if) they find coming into the country.
SirLSD

is it true that san pedro bought from the nursery can contain poisonous shit??...this is quite important as it can obviously be very dangerous when ingested...
but it knida sucks because the seeds are pretty much non existent here and it seems i can't bring them into the country...so the only way i can grow em is by getting little ones from the nursuries..
also just curious, nz (my area anyway) is pretty cold compared to where this cacti is usually grown do you think its a good idea to grow them in my friends glasshouse which apparently gets really hot.?

yep, they contain poisonous shit called mescaline, hehe :p um, seriously, not sure, they do contain other active compounds that arent wanted. anyone git a better answer than me?
seeds take way too long to grow anyway.
talk to the person at the nursery, they should have a good idea. also you would have to watch out for fungal disease if growing in a glass house.
SirLSD

Well rufisdickler, it just so happens i am growing a San Pedro cactus in New Zealand as well. It is nice and fat, and about 1 foot tall! Bought it recently so am hoping it will do well this spring/summer. I know for a fact where i can get two 2.5foot San Pedros as well, but that will be my little secret :p ;)

I asked MAF what i would have to do to bring cuttings into the country. It is a long process, where they have to be grown in a specified nursery in quarintine conditions for a year ... pointless trying. Try ringing up the supplier on the label of your cacti, they might have some ...

Good luck!

if you look around you can find good cactus fairly cheap....

i got 7 3 foot tall pachanois and a 3 foot tall macrogynus :)

edit: these are them...we ate 2 and 4 people had a wild day...=D

[Edit: Pricing information removed. Please read the Posting Guidelines. BigTrancer]

another edit: sorry BT.....

the cost was minimal... and well worth the additions to my garden...(theyre actually inside at the mo... its winter ya know)

Attachments

• cactus.jpg
    cactus.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,025
Last edited:
I have posted few links here few times, if you do search, you will find that I posted the list of all active chemicals/alkiods in few certain cactus.

The best way to make peyotes grow faster is to learn and study the art of grafting, you cut the top half of peyotes (lophophora willimsaii) and graft them on top of the trich's. and it will grow faster. but not much faster, just cuts the time by couple of years ;)

Good book to learn about Grafting is called "Peyote - and other psychoactive cacti" by Adam Gottlieb. Great book, I highly recommend this book for newbie cacti growers. Easily found in these online bookstores thru google search.

cheers, Urbie %)

I don't know the NZ laws, but I image it will be similar, I believe its legal to Grow san pedros and other Trich's, but its not consuming them. ;)

As in Australia, peyotes (lophophora williamsii) is "exotic weed" means it's illegal to import them either seeds or plant material. There's heaps of cacti seeds suppliers in Australia selling packets of 10-100 peyote seeds packets.

You can grow any cacti in Australia, but its bit of a grey area in Australia, because if you were a "hobbyist cacti grower" have many different types of cactus, you can get away with it, but it's not "legal" or "illegal" to grow peyotes, its eating/using them I believe.

But lets say, if you have a huge farm of over 200-500 peyotes, if the cops want to be a bunch or arseholes or you being a wanker to the cops, they could charge you for "drug production" or whatever.... because I mean it's just the way the law works..... its like if you are trying to "manfacture mescaline".

I still don't understand or not that clear with this grey area, yet I would love to have a feild of 1000's peyotes in my backyard, like this pic from mexico... hehe :D But there's no way I am risking my arse for 10-20 years worth of care then the cops come along and take it that I have been caring and taming them for years.

Attachments

• post-21-51133-dscn3180.jpg
    post-21-51133-dscn3180.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 5,788