• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Worrying/Concern/Anxiety whilst on drugs.

anfalicious

Bluelighter
Just reading this thread: sleeping after taking speed, and it got me thinking.
I've never really had this problem whilst on drugs. Why is it that some people just cannot escape? This could be things like paranoia when tripping (although I can understand this to an extent), but more things like worrying that you can't get to sleep (as per the above thread), or thinking about what ur gonna be doing monday whilst peaking and getting all depressed?
The reason I ask this, is a good friend of mine does this when the drugs start to get going strong.
So I open this thread for discussion on 2 things:
Does this happen to you? Examples, what drugs etc.
What do you do to deal with this?
I know personally when ever something concerns me, I just say to myself "meh, I'm having a great time now, there's nothing I can do about anything, and it'll make no difference if I deal with it now or monday"

Some people are just anxious. I'm like that myself. Can be related to all sorts of things like low self-esteem, insecurities, low phsyical fitness and even the thought that your life is not going anywhere. It's the drug's just accentuating most of these things for me. I don't really get this sort of feeling anymore, if at all. Whether it be because I've become closer with my friends or the fact that I'm happier with myself or that the feelings have just become the norm.
Most noticably the effects and feelings of anxiousness, anxiety etc are accentuated on chemicals like LSD and methamphetamine. I dont think I can really recollect a time when I felt the same way on any other chemical.

i get like that on weed..
when i first tried weed with a couple others we were passing round the pipe toking they were both talking about feeling the effects but i was feeling nothing i kept toking strong more and more then what felt like the 50th time inhaling this shit BOOM!!... yeah that was the only session i enjoyed after that it still always came on with a bang instead of gradually and it was just speedy heart beat, really nervous, anxious almost like a feeling of slipping in and out of this reality loss of identity etc.. intense and very long lasting for weed 1-4hrs! i've had fuckin intense flashbacks for up to 1 year after being off the damn stuff i can almost bring them back if i think the right thoughts... (where and what am i ? who are these people what is everything etc etc....)
i have yet to find anyone else who has experienced this from weed alone... if you have please post...

I am frequently worried when I'm on pills, eg about the lack of study I've done. Generally my concerns are pre-existing, and as ruski said, the drugs just accentuate them. I find the best response is to be distracted by talking with someone, it doesn't matter what it's about as long as it's not the thing that's worrying you. I hope this helps.

Like ruski said, some people are just prone to anxiety. This may be due to either 1) the way their brain was wired at birth or 2) the personality they have ended up with after living the childhood they did, and learning how to deal with things in a given way as a result. The reality is probably a combo of the two.
Ending up a worrier is at least partially rooted in your childhood. If your parents worried in your ear-shot, you will probably learn to worry too. Worrying becomes automatic eventually.
There are some people with no history of anxiety who develop problems from drug use. I also wonder whether a percentage of people have a pre-existing anxiety problem that they don't realise until they use MDMA and start gaining insight into their emotions.
anafalicious: your last line is exactly what people feeling anxious or worried SHOULD say to themselves. There is even a type of therapy based on this idea (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, where people re-learn worried responses by replacing them with more logical ones)

i've noticed some times when smoking, i'll start to think about the things i've done wrong in the past, and how to fix them now.. generally i'll just make my mind aware not to think like this and move on to something else... this mainly happens if smoking alone..

also extended drug use can make people much more fragile. like the day after a heavy clubbing night, or near the end of a long weekend binge. the longer you've been awake the more susceptible you are to stress about yourself.
it tends to happen to me at least a little at most recovery type days. once the initial buzz and excitement of all the dancing and music wears off, and all your friends get settled in their comfy little groups. once my mind has time to think it always turns a little introspective, you compare your life to your friends lives, your relationships compared to others.
where it can fuck me up is the thought that while you're sitting here mildly stressing, everyone else is having a mad time with each other. and this can lead to seperatist ideas, a "me" and "them" line of thought can occur. now you dont wanna go there... hehe.
over time ive realised that some people are just prone to question, to analyse. and i'm one of them. just because other people don't give serious issues a thought, doesn't mean they dont have the same issues you do.
stuff i tell myself to remember -
1. dont compare yourself to others. that only leads to dissappointment.
2. dont think that you're not a necessary part of your crew just because nobody's directing conversation at you at this very moment.
3. other peoples jobs are just as dead end as yours. some people just talk them up more :)
4. while you envy things that other people have, they envy things that you have as well.
5. for the singles out there - his girlfriend is really hot and yeah he gets to take her home afterwards, but, she's a dud root. hehe :) (sometimes we have to tell ourselves these lies)
now i'm not sure if ive just spilled a whole bunch of personal shit that nobody can relate to but ahhhh fuck it.
thinking too much is a bitch. but at least ya know ya brains still workin.
tony :)

I can be a pretty anxious person, and for that reason the only two times I've had speed I've hated it. It just puts me on edge and I tend to fixate on something and worry about it. I've occasionally had similar problems on LSD.
If you're an anxious person the best idea is to stick to fairly relaxed drugs. Ecstasy and alcohol are both OK for me generally and dope if that turns your crank, which it doesn't for me....
Chris

I've noticed some of this stuff happening, but only when i reach for the green, usually when coming down from a pill, or sometimes when still rolling.
One minute it's all good and you're lovin' it. next you're sweating and consumed by gnarly paranoia [which doesn't affect me on just pot?!]
my lesson is not to mix `em, but it can be temtping on bung pills to try and bring em on. maybe it's just me...

I think that we all have or do experience ,some form of self critical ,parinoid, Fucked feelings at some time in our chemical adventures. I agree with most of the above advice & can only reaffirm that its all about being constantly aware of your mental & emotional state, & make sure that your postive self talk is alaways the stronger voice...Yes I speak from many years of past & present experience...It does get easier with very battle ..as some may call it.
Ps. Support from a caring friend is invaluable but try to trust your own voice.

hey guys...
i think the reason a lot of us look back on what we've done/where we're heading, that kind of thing is just because pills (mostly, but trips too, and even goey) make us really open and honest within ourselves. we seem to be able to analyse things we've done, forgive people, apologise, be loving......and that goes for within as well. i know the whole empathy/honesty thing would always get my mate when we were finishing year 12 and we'd be sitting around the fire and she'd talk about uni and exams and stuff....
so yeah, that's just my two bobs worth. :) and yes, i'm feeling a little empathetic and honest right now ;)

I anaylise the shit out of social situtions all the time almost thinking everything has a deeper meaning, or trying to read body languauge and shit like that to guess what people are really thinking and why they are acting in the way they are. Dunno why the fuck i analyse everything, cause it all just ends up guess work anyway, but can cause ya to get paranoid at times. I guess ya can call me an observer always interested in the way people are acting and carrying on, while i just sit back try and figure out why everyone acts the way they do. The only way i stop doin this is by being socialble myself. talking and listenin to others and doin shit rather than just sittin down and thinking.
If ya feeling anxious about somthing best way i think of to forget it is to do stuff or talk to people and has been said already in this thread. I get anxious about stuff all the time i gotta do somthin in the future so i keep on thinkin about it till its been done, but it cant be done till a certain time so i get anxious till that time has come. A lot of people are like this and drugs tend to amplify these feelings.
One questoin comes to my mind sometimes, and that is did i feel like this before taking drugs and i can remember occassions where it was so, but i think since i started anxiety feelings and stuff like that has increased, especially on shit.
i like this "thinking too much is a bitch. but at least ya know ya brains still workin. " said by fat tony and i can relate to his post there too.
$h@nk0$