Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

WARNING for us all

Smil-E

Bluelighter
I was at Central Station (the city rail one) today and i met a guy in his early 20s. He was pretty drunk and pretty much open to talking to anyone. Most people barred him but I chilled out and talked with him for a bit. He told me a bit about his life and his job and stuff. Basically the guy has had a pretty fucked up life and began experimenting with soft drugs at about 17, as life got harder so did his drug taking habits. Basically he got hooked on all sorts of stuff speed, Coke. ETC. And his life just got more and more fucked up.
He now has to see a neurosurgeon a couple of times a week to help him cope with all the shit that the drugs have done to him.
It scares me to think that this could one day be me, or another bluelighter who just let drugs have too much value in our lives. While we all know just how much fun certain substances can be. It scares me that we often cross the line and dont even know we are doing it, and dont recognise the problem till its too late.
It was like looking to a possible future for myslef and it scares me. Every decision, every pill, every time we slip up counts. Its not enough to just accept that we break promises to ourselves about abstinence. We have to look out for ourselves, we have to be so careful. Because if we dont look out for oursleves and each other no one else will.

This is something i hold into perspective, but you need to remember, that you should have nothing to worry about if you keep things in moderation. When it comes to the point where you are using alot more drugs than you once did, you would sit and have a think about it.
[ 03 February 2002: Message edited by: InSoMnIa^ ]

insomnia, since none of us used drugs to begin with, we're all doing more drugs now than we started off with. as smil-e said, each decision, each instance of drug use should be carefully considered.
drug use has blunted my usually good memory. things that i could pull out of my head at a minute's notice now take considerably longer to dredge up. i'm not a moron yet (at least i hope not) but i'm deifnitely not happy with it, and i am modifying my behaviour to suit.
ppl should think each and every time they use drugs, legal, or illegal.

This past weekend I was supposed to be on a break from everything, including parties. Now, I don't usually hammer it too hard, so this break was probably 25% financial and 75% simply to see if I could do it. I didn't really need to take a break to save my body or anything, but I just wanted to try to do it.
Well sitting there watching people rack up I just found it was too hard to resist, and soon joined them and indulged. :(
The fact that I intended to have nothing to see if I was capable of doing that and still took something is a bit of an issue I think. Makes me wonder if the standard line everyone uses - "I could quit, but I just don't want to" - is really all that true. My drug use is far from out of control or anything, but this weekend was a good reminder of how easy it would be for it to get out of control without me even realising it, if I wasn't careful...

Originally posted by Pleonastic:
the standard line everyone uses - "I could quit, but I just don't want to"
Excellent point - I wonder how many smokers used to say those exact words before it was widely known that smoking was addictive?

I've been where Pleo was this weekend, which is why it wasn't too hard for me to say no this time, because I'd crumbled before and it made me realise I could end up like the guy Smil-E met if I allowed myself to crumble again
As fluffy said, we should think about it every time we take drugs... We should be fully aware of what we're doing and of the consequences...
We should not have a line shoved under our nose and snort it without thinking "do i really want to?"

I always ask myself one question before doing any drug...
"What is it that im trying to get out of this xxx"
(insert drug of choice at xxx).
If the reason is legit, then I go for it. If the reason is simply 'cause i need it', then i know i'm at the point that i'm being used by the drug - i'm not the one using it.
Drugs are there for us to experience / enhance / enrich a situation. If i find myself in a position that i'm taking it purly cause my body / brain is telling me i need it, i tell myself, it's not worth it and it's enough to convince me not to take it.
This is mainly with coke, but i found that it works with E, specically at events and clubs. If if the set and setting isn't right, then rolling would be a total waste.

I think the thing to remember is that drugs are addictive but so are people- by this i mean that some people just get addicted to anything. I have a friend who is on the path to where Smil-E guy was, and it hasn't suprised me that it would come this because i've always know it would happen sooner or later. I saw a distinct pattern emerge and it wasn't the substance leading to other substances it was the him. First it was ciggies, couldn't get enough of them after abhorring them. Then weed in the exact same scenario, folled by xtc, speed and acid and god knows whats next, except the inevitability that it will happen and that he will get addicted to it. Sad but true :(

thats true man... why put yourself IN that situation in the first place to see if u can say NO...
realisticly, its very hard, and probably some1 who is against that in particular drug will say no.
You, and every1 else CAN do it... say no, take a break, etc. But the best form of proctection against yourself is simple ABSENCE! ;) :)
trust me it works...
i had been going hard for almost every week for over 10 months, and really wanted / needed a break. I was feeling the effects wearing on my body, and mind.
Now i have not taken anything for quite some time, and dont intend to ;)
Its actually turned into MORE than a break for me... it has basicly slowed me down alot, and showed me another side. And for Pleo, and every1 else, It kinda helps if u have a few friends that do not use drugs, or even a girlfriend who doesnt take that often :)
You guys will be fine, just have some quite fri nights at the local pub, or watch a nice movie with a few beers... sounds cheesy, but at least u wont have the temptations all around u.

If you are around the 'scene' all the time, I agree it is very hard for you to escape the temptations of the drugs. I have recently moved interstate, and I haven't dropped for almost three months! I can't say that I feel too much different, (I was dropping about two to three pills a month b4 + wiz in between and smoking mull every day) But I can feel some difference...healthier, a bit more alive. It's the temptation that makes it hard to stop. If everyone around you is dropping, racking and smoking, it's not hard to join in. Willpower can only do so much.
What people need to remember is that the world of drugs don't mean anything in 'the real world' People need to have ambition, and motivation to acheive that ambition. More often than not, drugs take away that ambition/motivation. People should never lose sight of the things they wanted to do when they were a kid. There's a whole world out there, drugs are only a minor part of it.
Mind you, I love E, and think it can be spiritually beneficial in moderation.

whilst i've never rolled every weekend for extended periods, i was amazed at how my memory and mind were effected by them.
i left Australia early last year and it was 6 months before I rolled again after leaving. within that time there was a noticable improvement in my memory, and I found I once again had the desire to learn, read, and explore new things.
after extended breaks i am always a little apprehensive about dropping again now. i still enjoy it, but after being without it for so long you realise that by rolling you miss out on so much more.
it's simply another choice we make.

But the best form of proctection against yourself is simple ABSENCE!Actually, it's funny you should mention that. The only reason I put myself in that situation was to see if I could do what I thought should come easy - resist temptation while having temptation thrown in my face.
So yeah, next time I go on a break that's exactly what I'll do - seeing as though I've made it clear to myself that I'm not as strong willed as I thought I was.
I should probably acknowledge bluelight at this point too, because without everything I've learnt from this site and from the people I've met here I probably wouldn't even be considering these things at all. :)

I think moderation is definaetly the key. I go out to clubs atleast 1-2 times a week which are predominately classed as "drug-taking/friendly" clubs, and go sober 99% of the time.
What I do use them for enhancing or making experiences better, rather than as a necessity. Which is why i normally only have them at dance parties.
Often friends say to me "what are you on tonight", and i tell them "2 red bulls" or "the music" which is the truth. The atmosphere in the clubs is enough to keep me going the whole night. And many friends cant believe how I do it.
The thing is I love the music, I love the atmosphere, and that is the primary objective for the night. Other people i have noticed drugs are the main point of the night, and the club/music is just a place to take them. And i think that is probably the wrong mind-set to have.
Also, one time i was on my way to a party, and was unable to find anything and i saw myself getting very upset and aggitated. I now realise that wasnt the best way to be thinking, and even though i found something in the end it wasnt the main point of the night.
What I class the rave scene as is this:
The Music/djs,
The Friends,
The Atmosphere,
The Drugs.
in that order. And as long as i keep my usage to once every month or 2, and keep thinking that, i think my usage/mindset is how it should be.
[ 07 February 2002: Message edited by: psycotik ]

Originally posted by Pleonastic:
The fact that I intended to have nothing to see if I was capable of doing that and still took something is a bit of an issue I think. Makes me wonder if the standard line everyone uses - "I could quit, but I just don't want to" - is really all that true. My drug use is far from out of control or anything, but this weekend was a good reminder of how easy it would be for it to get out of control without me even realising it, if I wasn't careful...
Sorry to hear you couldnt dredge up enuff will power to not do anything.
It is tricky. With the "i could quit, i dont want to" line...im lucky i dont have an addictive personality. I used to smoke for 3 1/2 years, 2 packs a week...everyone said i was addicted, i said nope i could quit anytime...one day i took a bet (no money, just for respect) and stopped smoking for 4 1/2 months (till i got offered one when i was offtap and couldnt refuse). Still havent started again.
As for E...ive felt myself start to like it too much, and start to want it too often so ive told myself none till easter. Which i hope i can hold onto.
Its hard to dredge up the willpower to stop doing things...but the one time you can sit there and not do anything...youll feel so damn proud of yourself and youll be able to stop at anytime!
(i aint bagging you, just saying i hope you can do it next time!)

hey pleo,
would Bl be able to set up a permanent detox stream. For Bluelighters who want to take a break. And want the encouragement of other people doing the same.
Like helping each other out. SOrt of like Ravers Anonymous. Its far easier to do when you got people backing you up in the decision to take a break. Whilst the true power must come within, it can often be vitalised from without.
And as for the idea of will power, the first time i popped. I had made a decision for myself that i wasnt going to try E at my first Rave, i wanted to experience it straight first. This lasted till 2am. When i started beggin my buddy for a pill.
The trick is to not see how close you can come but how far you can stay back and still have a fucking awesome time. The closer you get to the temptation the harder it is to refuse. anyway thats my 2bob