Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

MDMA neurotoxicity - evidence against dopamine involvement

superbabydoc

Bluelighter
Thought i'd link this thread from Health, given that many people don't visit there. It's kind of a part 2 to the MDMA/neurotoxicity misconceptions thread that was linked here a while back.
MDMA Neurotoxicity - Evidence against DA involvement by Zorn
[Edit: Fixed URL. Damn HealthQ&A people tidying up all the time... BT - beamoaning UBBs inability to update links when threads are moved]
[ 12 February 2003: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

Does this mean i can make lovely caps with half a pill and half a point, without fear of nasty dopamine leaking into my serotonin neurons and treating them like the rolling stones used to treat hotel rooms?
I'd call em PIEED caps?

^ Nope. Did you read Zorn's thread? It's not saying MDMA isn't neurotoxic when taken with speed.
From what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong):
The hypothesis that dopamine is (partly) responsible for MDMA neurotoxicity is based on tests showing neurotoxicity reduction due to dopamine inhibitors, and greater neurotoxic damage in the presence of other dopaminergic chemicals. However the thread mentions several papers that bring this theory into doubt.
Any neurotoxic damage still occurs, but it's not dopamine causing it. If you read the thread closely, you'll read that in one experiment haloperidol was used (dopamine antagonist) to block neurotoxic damage, but apparently accomplished this through preventing hyperthermia. This makes me think that your caps with MDMA and speed will make you hotter than MDMA alone, and thus cause greater damage than they ordinarily would. The presence of the speed makes the combination more neurotoxic, but not necessarily due to the dopamine as has been thought in the past.
As I said I'm happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood.
BigTrancer :)

Choice bro! Wish i was one of them cool kinda guys, with dem cool brains. Maby i should just take some ice in those caps- that's gotta keep the brain cool ;)
Oh well it pleasing to know that those times when i have taken MDxx + speed that while damage has been done it wasn't from dopamine oxidising my serotonin neurons.

Cool, so does this mean that L-tyrosine may also seem to be now less of a worry when used as a pre or post load?
Though or was hoping a decent dose may increase the rush but not neuro-toxic effects :)