Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

St.Johns wort and E????

glory_glamour

Bluelighter
Ok people...
help me out here... is a bad idea to be taking pills if i'm taking St.Johns wort?
Is it a GOOD idea to take St.Johns wort AFTER rolling?? To make come-down better. Any thoughts are well appreciated

HAHA!
SJW isn't an SSRI , it aint an MAOI either (although it contains extremely mild maoi and ssri properties). Chocolate is a weak MAOI also but I wouldn't not take a pill because i'd eaten a Mars Bar that day. Somebody should correct those threads , the search function isn't much help if it's only going to point to misinformation.
I don't even think it's been proven that SJW affects serotonin at all , not all depression is serotonin related. In a lot of cases it's dopamine exclusively in some cases it might be something else. To assume you're going to get serotonin syndrome because you're taking something that makes you happy is ridiculous.

Ok well I'm sorry but if you have any St Johns Wort anytime within a week before rolling then the effects of your pill will be drastically reduced to either minimal or zilch effects.
I suggest you read the links that Anfalicious has put up.
Chemical Sharman do you have any links to prove that anything you're saying is true? I suggest that you also read some of those links.

this was raverdoc's quote in that link;
St John's Wort is proposed to work as both an MAO inhibitor and an SSRI, although somewhat more weakly than other medications in those two classes.
which is pretty much what you, Chemical Shaman, said. what's wrong with being cautious? i would much rather that people knew that this so called "herbal remedy" acts in ways that are somewhat like perscription drugs.

Originally posted by pekkie:
Ok well I'm sorry but if you have any St Johns Wort anytime within a week before rolling then the effects of your pill will be drastically reduced to either minimal or zilch effects.
I guess this differs form person to person and has a lot more than one varying factor. I spent a great deal of my life waking up every day looking in the mirror and saying "You complete fuckhead" and then thinking of the most painless way to kill myself. Then I took SJW for 8 mnths and managed to get it just down to looking in the mirror and saying "You complete fuckhead". During the 8 mnths I rolled quite a few times , effects weren't minimised , they weren't increased either. Im not saying SJW won't minimize the effects on YOU im saying it didn't on me. By the way man im sorry as hell about all the arrogance in my postings , sweet jesus it must be these kerplackers , I just got home from work and i've read all the posts I posted last night and im just like "What the fuck?".
I suggest you read the links that Anfalicious has put up.
I did read them here's two phrases that stuck in my mind
As SJW is a SSRI
but as I have had a mild case of serotonin syndrome from taking 200 mg SJW (in addition to 100 mg 5-htp)
Chemical Sharman do you have any links to prove that anything you're saying is true?
Yeah a few the last paragraph in this one is of particular interest
http://www.herbs.org/current/sjwsafety.htm
If you have a look here there's literally hours of reading. I don't have a lot of time right now to go through them all but give it a browse and see what turns up.
p.s sorry again man

As a contributer to the first link, and someone who has combined SJW with pills a long time ago, I certainly wouldn't do it again. I didn't suffer any adverse effects, but maybe I was just lucky. If SJW does have any MAOI properties, even mild properties, it should not be combined with either MDxx or amphetamines.
The problem with SJW is that little research has been done on it, compared to prescription drugs, because it is not patented. So there may be other adverse interactions with SJW that we don't know about. So we should be cautious combining it with MDxx. Having said that, on it's own I think it can be very helpful, and should be OK post MDxx.

Just a friendly bump,I would love to know the truth,cause I know alot who use SJW with so far no negative effects when they combine with e :)
Just thought it was wierd that Chemical Shaman's reports of his experiences of also using for SJW for 8 months & seemed to be fine...why do you think he would also feel so strongly about it possibly not being bad to use like a few suggest?Why would he/we have no bad effects?
A few people I know have done similar to Chemical Shaman and also report no seretonin syndrome symptoms.They actually thought it seemed beneficial on comedone aswell,leaving them feeling better the days after than what they did before they started using SJW.
Important point to note I thought was that we where not taking SJW & 5htp,just the SJW.Maybe this means nothing but it just caught my eye.
Do you think it might have to do with what you do on the night ie-dance for extended period in a hot club,etc that is bringing on these SUSPECTED seretonin syndrome symptoms that is thought to be caused by SJW?
[ 27 July 2002: Message edited by: Scatteredasfuck ]

I remember reading an article (either in the newspaper or on the web) that mentioned that many herbal supplements tested for potency had much lower levels of active ingredient that stated on the label. Because the herbal supplement industry is not regulated, this may be a common problem. So perhaps you are not taking as much SJW as you think?
Important point to note I thought was that we where not taking SJW & 5htp,just the SJW.Maybe this means nothing but it just caught my eye. It's probably very important in fact! 5-HTP is not supposed to be used with prescription antidepressant's, so it probably shouldn't be taken with SJW either (except perhaps in small doses - I think I have seen supplements that contain both).
Do you think it might have to do with what you do on the night ie-dance for extended period in a hot club,etc that is bringing on these SUSPECTED seretonin syndrome symptoms that is thought to be caused by SJW? Probably not - while hyperthermia is a symptom of SS, there are other symptoms that differentiate hyperthermia (the disorder) from SS induced hyperthermia (as a symptom). I think it's more likely to be related to using multiple pills or taking other serotonergic drugs with MDMA. Sometimes SS can just happen - some individuals seem more prone to it than others. For example, some people get it from SSRI drugs, while thousands of others don't.
You might find this page interesting: Serotonin syndrome

Thanks for you excellent opinion & info babydoc_vic :)
At least so far SJW according to your link hasn't been associated with any fatalities.The bottle label suggests the dosage is 16.7mg-Hyperforin & 1.1mg-Hypericin per tablet.
2-3 of these are taken per day,though not just before the xtc usually with at least 3hrs gap.
I always had great respect for you & it's grown even greater now!
Now I'm getting somewhere, although we are still probably along way from knowing the full reasons for differing results.
[ 27 July 2002: Message edited by: Scatteredasfuck ]

I've been thinking about this a bit more. I imagine the risk of serotonin syndrome with MDMA is probably not that great, not when you compare it to prescription MAOI drugs. For comparison, look at the Moclobemide and MDMA thread (including the links there). Moclobemide is no doubt a more powerful MAOI than SJW, but some people have combined it with MDMA and had no problems. Others have done so and had problems. What's my point? Er, actually I can't remember. :) I'll get back to you on that.