Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

News: Mandatory Jail Terms Proposed For Ecstasy Users in LA

Kandeman

Bluelighter
Article from ITM
Californian authorities are attempting to introduce new laws with would mean minimum 90 day prison terms for anyone discovered to be under the influence of MDMA (ecstasy). People testing positive for MDMA in their blood streams would face immediate incarceration in a move drug law reformers condemned as Orwellian.
“SB 1103 (the bill’s official title) goes beyond conventional drug possession or distribution laws in the extent to which it creates a ‘thought crime’- merely being under the drug’s influence,” the Drug Reform Co-ordination Network pointed out.
“Even if MDMA were the dire threat some claim it to be, this bill would still be the wrong way to go and would do great harm to our nation's youth.”
Labelling the US government’s reaction to ecstasy as “wildly disproportionate”, they pointed out that just 27 ecstasy related deaths have occurred in the US between 1994 and ’98, compared to “the tens of thousands (of deaths) from aspirin!”
The relatively high death rates associated with aspirin were also cited in an editorial in the Guardian (UK) this week, which suggested ecstasy penalties should be reduced.
“Waging war on drug users only produces war on our children, as increasing numbers of parents have become aware,” the highly respected newspaper said.
“Ecstasy kills fewer people than aspirin. It was given out to armed services in the (2nd World) War to keep them awake- the same reason clubbers use it today.”

America is up shits creek mate. Hows that for an aussie saying
seriously- ol georgedubbya has some warped ideas on how to handle us drug minded folk. First we are terrorists, now this.

What...The...Fuck???
That country, geezus christ. Can anyone say problems?
*Adikkal walks away with a lost and dismayed look on his face*
Adikkal

George is an idiot! That is just crazy. Pitty he didn't choke on that pretzel. I couldn't stop laughing when they played it on the news :) .

What's interesting is that offenders will be gaoled immediately. I can see the cells now; full of peakers giving each other back rubs. They'll have entire prisons for peakers, with five-day come-down programs...
:)
but seriously, all you had to do was watch 5 minutes of the American Music Awards to get that 'something's-not-quite-right-with-America' feeling. Weird.

I hope that this doesn't happen here in Australia. Just imagine the paranoia at raves. I know I would consider to stop taking MDMA at clubs.
I don't think this will go through because the prisons would be way to overcrowded - and it's pointless.

hmmmmm now thats just fucked up. It will never happen, it cant.. First glowsticks band, then this.
Next it will be 10,000 hours jail for downloading a electronica song. ahahaha

Heroin users don't get busted and put away for simply being users... I think it's a long long way before we end up on the same road as the Schmericans.

are the american prisons not already full enough? do they realise what would happen if they imprisoned every person found with MDMA in their system for 90 days? if levels of MDMA use are similar in LA as in melbourne, and they "catch" a reasonable percentage of users, i reckon they'd end up with about 10% of their under-25 population in custody at any one time! i would estimate that around 10% of people my age have used MDMA and almost that many would use it at least every 90 days... surely there is no way any government could reasonably expect to achieve anything by locking up that many people...
quite aside from the civil libertarian objections, the practicalities are just absurd!

Apparently according to a reply in one of the recent usenet threads, this proposal has been officially rejected.