Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

MDMA Crash

teXman01

Bluelighter
Hey guys,
Just reading through this article on erowid, have a quick read (it's small)
Some, but not all, users of MDMA report a dramatic drop in mood as the peak effects of MDMA wear off. This is often called the "crash". Users who experience crashes, report that they do not always get them with MDMA and many users report no crash.
The crash is the experience of having a harsh or difficult transition from the very open, happy, and wonderful experience of the peak effects of MDMA back to baseline consciousness. Many users report a feeling of loss as the effects wane, feeling 'burned out', or having strong feelings of sadness, dread, or annoyance.
While it is not unexpected to have some nostalgia or sadness associated with ending a very joyous experience, the disparity between the peak of the high and the low of coming down can be overwhelming for some users. Some users report crying & sobbing as the effects of the experience wear off.
One of the primary problems associated with crashing is that some users find the come-down so difficult that they re-dose multiple times in order to stave it off. This generally leads to worse hangovers, using more than initially intended, and often regretting the re-dose the next day. Many users choose to take other psychoactive substances in order to 'soften the landing', such as alcohol, valium, LSD, mushrooms, amphetamines, 2CB, et cetera.
The "crash" experience is not unique to MDMA and is found after many intense drug and non-drug experiences.
Article Here
Anyone actually experienced this? If so, what was your dosage, times you ingested, and any other relevant details. The main part was the "crying/sobbing" that seems like a rather full on/emotional experience.
Does anyone think this could be a total depletion of serotonin? Any other info would be great. Thanks.
TeX
[ 05 January 2002: Message edited by: teXman01 ]

The "crash" is just coming down, and I don't really know anyone who doesn't get at least a minor form of it.
The people who cry on comedowns are generally emotional people to begin with anyway, and dealing with this crash can be hard.
But as it says, you can combat it with other drugs (not recommended) but I often take a Valium when i'm feeling low and a little headfucked.
But as the man himself (bigtrancer) says "take your comedown like a fucking man" ;)
Use the search button and enter in "comedowns" or somethine similar. It will yield some good results for you.
horse :)

Horse,
Everything in that article, I have not experienced - and hopefully I will not (touch wood). I am trying to distinguish between a "come down" and a "crash". I guess no one can really define "come down" as it is different for everyone.
Personally, a "come down" (if you call it that) for me is just like the effects have worn off - I feel fine after that - actually better, total satisfaction. A few hours sleep later and everything is great, the following week after a roll tends to be much more productive/motivating and generally "feel good".
Just trying to clarify this - I guess it's difficult as everyone is different.
Oh, BTW, Any ideas about this serotonin depletion thing I mentioned?
TeX
[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: teXman01 ]

If you want to take your drugs to a deeper level, attempt to use the down period as a way to integrate any insight gained during the heaven you had just entered. See the contrast and take what elements you find as interesting and meaningful, meditate on them for a while. Write if you can/want to. The tapering off period of many phenethylamines can provide deep insight into your own and human nature.
Cheers, :)

Hiya.
I've rolled maybe 40 times and only "crashed" once (the last time funnily enough). For some reason the change from being high to realising I was back to reality was unbelievably sudden and profound and I remember being utterly pissed off with how boring normality is. It wore off after a bit. Prior to that time I had only ever experienced normal gradual comedowns, so who knows if or when it will happen again.
clop

clop..
Out of interest, when you said this 'crash' happened to you for the first time the last time (?!) - was it after a yellow XL, by any chance? I think I'm pretty similar in that I've pilled fuck knows how many times over the years and always been the annoying bastard who takes forever to 'come down', along with the 'comedown' being very gradual and fun. (!)
But.. last week me/a few friends (some of them also seasoned pillers :) ) had the XL's; personally it was the first time I've ever really experienced a sudden shift from being blissed out -> agitated & shitty.
I dunno whether, like you said, it was just a once-off, or whether it was something to do with the pills we had (most other people who had 'em had the same experience)...?
Anyone?

Hiya lsd303.
The pills were white speckled Supermen and I had double-dropped. I have been giving some thought to why I crashed on them - maybe it had something to do with the pills? They XTreme tested normally for MDMA but it doesn't mean there wasn't something else in them. It was the first time I'd had any Supermen so I can't compare my comedown to any previous ones. I last rolled a month ago and have no plans to roll again soon, so it could be a while before I take the Supermen again. One difference that I did notice whilst rolling was that there was a significant trippy element; in particular, even off 2 pills I found myself in a headspace where the concept of time had gone, I had almost convinced myself that I live inside one of those "snow ornaments", I got the thought process compartmentalisation thing (after the comedown), and I had my first ever persistant open eye visuals (blue and golden stars overlaid on everything for a few hours as opposed to the normal fleeting stuff you see, also after the comedown).
Really, who knows?
clop

^I agree
and can I just say its nice to see you posting plague bearer! A bluelighter whose contributions are always appreciated!!! :)

You could be right Plague Bearer (lots of respect by the way, I like reading your posts) but in my stupid days I could triple or quad drop, take up to 12 and still have no crash.
clop

I had a friend experience the so caqlled crash on new years eve/day. She had an mdma based pill and felt fine and dandy whilst peaking and then when it wore of she was a depressed mess...sitting on the floor in total silence for the rest of the night feeling so down and sad. She said she has never really felt like that before, but then again she doesn't really take mdma very often at all.

I had a huge crash at a System 6 (rave). It is the worst fucking place to have one because you have to sit there all sad and annoyed while music is still banging in your ears and people are still charging all around you. This happened by 3:00am after 2 pills (I have hardcore tolerance) and I just wanted to get out but my crew were still going strong so they did not understand what was happening. This has since put me off Raves.

^^^ 3am crash? what time did u take them?
Shutdown I had a hell of a comedown but that wasn't until after System (heh about 6pm that night) So I sympathise with u :(
Crashing is just a really bad comedown right?, or are you saying its feeling bad after the peak has worn off and you're still rolling?
In which case its prob just related to your mental state (what isn't?)
Bad comedown's to me are to do with the amount of pills u take, if u take pills to extend ur roll (trying to dodge a comedown) and your personality and state of mind before u drop.
Correct me if I'm wrong but pill brand has little or nothing to do with it.
[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: Binx ]

Are you talking Shutdown at the Arena? If so I was also there. I also had a bad night there as well after having weak MDMA pills, I had three and could only just feel it. We went outside to have some pot and that totally fucked me, I soent the rest of the night sitting in which was suppose to be the chill out room but they were playing really fast breakbeats and I had to dodge ravers or I would of gotten my head stepped on.

i've had this 'crash' before, but I realised, when people tried to make me laugh, or did something funny, I did laugh and was happy. I think when we 'crash' its cos, we are expecting to feel something like this sometime when we roll, and we do it to ourselves cos we think its the norm, and want it to happen, so we think, yeah I've crashed. its normal, I know what I mean, cos this is what happened to me.I also sympathise with that guy, it does suck, when u are coming down from it and everyone around u is peaking, and all u can think is, man they must be feeling good.fuck. fuck that.