• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

ninemsn: Ecstasy study shows long-term memory loss

Once again no mention of whether ecstasy was the only drug those 'memory-impared' ecstasy users used...

Since its an ecstasy trial, I would say that the drug is implicated in memory loss judging by their findings. I shouldn't think the people in the trial would be using any other drug since this might change the findings.
A lot of people complain on b/l cause there isn't enough research and education regarding drug use (which is true!) - I think its a good thing that studies like this are occurring.
I think everyone knows that drug use isnt exactly good for you, its just knowing what your limits are and being as safe as possible.

Agreed on the merits of any research being done... However I raised my point about whether other drugs were used also because there has been similar research done in which it was noted that those involved had been taking drugs other than ecstasy... So I'm not going to assume that they did confirm that those ecstasy users only took ecstasy...
Another question... What was the level of drug use these ecstasy users undertook? Frequent or infrequent? Could make a big difference... They did state that the current users they tested hadn't taken the drug for two weeks... Does that mean that they otherwise normally would have? That constitutes greater than moderate use as far as I'm concerned... If they'd shown that information I'd be satisfied... Or if they published the report...
All in all yes it is a good report, but there's a few things missing so I can't help but critisize...
Here's the actual story incase it disappears:
Ecstasy study shows long-term memory loss
Young people planning to include the drug ecstasy in their festive season celebrations received a warning - it causes memory loss lasting years.
Two studies conducted by the Australian National University (ANU) found ecstasy-users had trouble actually putting material into their memories and that even two years later, they still had memory difficulties.
The recreational drug, also known by its chemical name MDMA, is typically associated with dance clubs and rave parties.
Dr Jeff Ward, the senior lecturer at the ANU's school of psychology, said there was evidence that people who took ecstasy had alterations to the seratonin system in the brain.
"In simple terms, this means the nerve fibres projecting from the back of the brain right throughout the cortex and other areas below the cortex in the brain have been depleted in some way," he told reporters.
Dr Ward's studies looked at the nature of memory impairment, which had shown up in other studies, and if it persisted.
The first study compared 30 current ecstasy users, who had not used the drug for two weeks so the residual effects had worn off, with a control group of non-users.
"We found Australian ecstasy users show reductions in their performance in memory tests compared to non-users, just as has been found in Europe and the USA," he said.
"We also were able to show that this memory impairment was due to a learning difficulty.
"What we showed was that the problem is actually getting the material in there.
"We showed that if people were actually given enough time to learn material, they could perform as well as non-ecstasy users."
The second study also compared 30 ecstasy users to 30 non-users and used the same tests and questionnaires, except the users had not used the drug for two years.
"What we found was that, after two years, indeed these people's memory was still impaired," Dr Ward said.
"I'm not saying these people would have the memory impairment of the level you would see in brain-damaged patients or in patients with Alzheimer's disease.
"They performed less well on memory tests than non-users do, but they're not in a clinical case range.
"We don't know what the implications are for their daily lives."
Dr Ward said the next step was to study and ask ecstasy users if they were having problems with their daily tasks.
[ 15 December 2001: Message edited by: Tarsarlan ]

^^^^
I totally agree there are gaps in these study findings, also I didn't realise other studies had used subjects who had taken other drugs, not a particularly accurate study!
I'd also be very interested to know how much was taken and over what period of time, I think its relevant because occasional use is markedly different to regular use of ecstasy with regard to physical and/or psychological effects.
I guess the real problem, as is the same with other medical research, is that side effects/risk factors need to be looked at long term - 20 years or more.
As an example, there have been 100s of research studies on the oral contraceptive pill over the last 35 years and a lot of the findings are still inconclusive.

Also I would like to see how a control group rated, who had been kept awake over the same period as those who took the mdma. Surely regular lack of sleep, especially those people who do 2 or 3 day benders, would have an impact on memory, etc.

I've got this feeling that E does screw with your memory. I'll put money on it that it does. There are no conclusive long term studies, but the evidence is starting to sway that way. The abnormal regrowth/death of neurons in animal models cant be good.
On a happier note......you wont notice these effects for years and you have a good chance of getting parko's or alzheimers in old age anyway. Fuck it keep on poppin'.
......dismissing these studies by saying "but they used other drugs" isn't going to help you, because how many friends do you have that have only used E? NONE!
[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: popper ]
[ 17 December 2001: Message edited by: popper ]

I have to agree with popper. As a uni student i have found that the more pills i have the harder it is to get info in there. Sure when its in there it stays, but as the article says, it takes longer to get in. As much as id love to deny that memory loss is happening im sure it is.
oh well

I disagree, I haven't found any memory loss difficulties, and I have been studying at uni for a long time also. But that's just my opinion, I don't have a study to compare myself on drugs to myself prior to drugs... just memories. :p
BigTrancer :)

......dismissing these studies by saying "but they used other drugs" isn't going to help you, because how many friends do you have that have only used E? NONE!
Speak for yourself dude! Actually there seem to be a lot of people who's only (illegal) drug use is e. It seems to be one of the few (illegal) drugs that appeals to people who don't touch any other (illegal) drugs. And that isn't the point anyway. The study says it relates to "mdma", not "drug use" in general, therefore the results do not necessarily prove what they say they do.
It's not dismissing the study, it's critically analysing the info it provides. Saying particular research doesn't prove what it claims isn't dismissing it's claims, simply saying that if the study is not carried out in a scientific manner, it's results cannot be used as conclusive proof. Simple!

But you'll keep chowing down the pills until there's a study you approve of. Is the study completely useless because of the things you pointed out?
Marijuana use at least accompanies most E use. The post party comedown sesh is a common ritual. Just E users would be a small minority IMO.
You've never had a pill where you've thought "what the hell was that!"
How many times do you think you've had MDA or MDEA?
What you said about the studies is true. They should sample E users that have only used E to validate the study as MDMA specific.
Memory performance is a very difficult thing to test for and I doubt any study couldn't be picked to pieces.
Look at the physical evidence of neurons changing shape/structure, receptor down-regulation and neuron death in primates that are guaranteed to have only used pharmaceutical MDMA.
You can pre-load and post-load, but the perfect drug doesn't exist, they all have side effects.
The rushes without the eye wiggles, the nausea, the temperature raising, the water loss, the clenching, extreme pupil dilation, the overworking of muscles, lack of food intake.
I'll bet my memory it does effect your memory.
And I'll keep pillin' until I'm right.
[ 19 December 2001: Message edited by: popper ]

I have noticed memory loss, but strangely enough I seem to forget the unimportant stuff. Since I started taking pills my grades have actually improved and I find learning easier, but I think this is more closely related to a change in attitued AND a large reduction in alcohol consumption. I wonder how the memory loss of someone who gets drunk regularly compares to someone who gets off chops??

Wether or not the participants (read subjects) were or were not using other drugs combined with MDMA or not is secondary . What i would like to know is were these subjects infact MDMA and if so was it -dirty- MDMA ?
Research shall always arrive to the set agenda

I agree with fukchoops, my memory is a little worse but due to being able to focus (and relax) better, my grades have increased markedly.
I read a review of a similar study in the US, but this study it seems used a disproportionate number of uni graduates to make the non e users look smarter. hmmm dodgy.
Possibly the e users just didnt care about the testing. As a biologist I find these hastily thrown together surveys to be a joke and I wish someone would do a proper study. A proper study might involve a group of 100+ individuals where half take e over 5 years, with no other drug use and tests at 3month intervals. But thats some pretty serious research dollars, not to mention ethical an legal problems.