Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Age, 06/12/01: Eight arrested in ecstasy bust

Mr. Horse

Bluelight Crew
NATIONAL NEWS
Eight arrested in ecstasy bust
Thursday 6 December 2001
Eight people had been arrested following the seizure of 124 kg of ecstasy, worth more than $20 million, Justice Minister Chris Ellison said today.
He said customs officers found 410,000 ecstasy tablets in a container from a ship that had entered Brisbane from Singapore via Belgium on November 20.
Senator Ellison said the eight people arrested included a Sydney solicitor and a foreign national alleged to have masterminded the shipment.
It was the country's third largest ecstasy seizure and resulted from a lengthy investigation by the National Crime Authority (NCA), he said.
"Since October 2000, the NCA has been conducting this proactive investigation Operation Djura under its Blade Reference, which investigates South East Asian organised Crime," Senator Ellison said.
"The result has been this significant seizure of 410,000 hits of ecstasy with an estimated street value in excess of $20 million and the arrest of eight people including the group's alleged overseas link."
All have been charged with drug importation offences.
The seven men and one woman are expected to face courts in Sydney and Brisbane today.
In Perth, Senator Ellison said the seizure showed law enforcers across the country were doing an excellent job fighting the importation of illicit drugs.
He said it sent a very clear message to anyone who wanted to import drugs into Australia that no matter how sophisticated the attempt, they would be caught.
"And if they are caught, they will face serious charges which attract penalties of up to a maximum of life imprisonment," he said.
Senator Ellison said drug traffickers would use any means available to them to smuggle their illicit cargos from remote shorelines to busy ports.
"And that's why the commonwealth government announced its proposal to put X-ray facilities in our main ports of Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide in relation to containers," he said.
AAP
from the age
The busts seem to be getting bigger...

I think I heard about this one ;)
Bit of a worry, the increasing amount of bigger and bigger busts.

bout $50....they said more than $20,000,000
410,000 at $50 a pill would be $20,500,000 thus more that $20,000,000....it's a shitty tactic used by the press to make thier already huge pill theft seem even bigger.....he he he pill theft!

pump up the figures and make them seem reasonable Vs the costs.. but never mention the costs.
(this message was heavily edited 6th december)

I saw the these on the news.
Big, white, deep European pills.
Couldnt work out the logo; they even mentioned that such pills r prized for their quality.
I am getting sick of these silly criminals fucking up the importation of such lovely pills.
Every week its another 400,000.
Its a shame coz as we know it'll only increase availability of the dangerous ones to unsuspecting fools.
Obviously the police need to do their job and r obviously not doing too badly, i just wish theyd lay off the clean MDMA and look for amphetamines, heroin, cocaine and bad pills :)

there's always gunna be a biker with a bathroom out there so there's never gunna be a shortage of amphetamines... can't say the same for MDMA

I think its funny that you guys think that MDMA/ecstasy must be made in a crystal clean laborotory, with men in white coats.
I would bet a fair amount of money the labs they use over seas arn't a WHOLE lot different than the ones used here, apart from the fact that they have access to the chemicals australia does not.

No one said anything about crystal clean labs.
But there is no doubt some labs over there are extremely well set up; i have seen footage of some of them and they were cabable of churning out some crazy amount of pills an hour; it looked far more like a pharmaceutical plant (obviously not as pristine) than any backyard lab.
No lab in Australia is producing illicit substances of such a scale allowing them to be imported throughout the world. This one bust was between 20-40 kg of X going to one destination on the other side of the world; personally when u think of how many more destinations there would be, and how frequently they would get it out; the scale is mindboggling.
So no, maybe they arent squeaky clean, but the sophistication, efficiency, experience etc etc to permit that kind of mass production is surely more advanced than any lab here, simply because it needs to be.
but this is not really the point.
What is the point is these were pills almost certain to contain MDMA and it is likely they were of good quality; maybe they werent; but whether it was made by a man in a white coat, or an old lady with a wooden spoon over a stove, i wouldnt hesitate to sample one.

the daily telegraph had an article about the same thing a couple of days ago... the pills were branded 007 and RR (rolls royce).
this bust occured a fair few months ago, and i remember being told about it (by my dealer, who sold me some 007's which were quite decent).
the only reason that it's in the papers now is because the court precedings have just begun.
altho if i had some of them, then either it was another batch, or perhaps some of the policemen accidentally dropped them :p

He said customs officers found 410,000 ecstasy tablets in a container from a ship that had entered Brisbane from Singapore via Belgium on November 20.
Unfortunately this is another big bust not the one from a month or two ago your thinking of.

Biscuit: I think it's a little bit offensive that you class heroin, amphetamines and coke along with bad pills. I assume you think that your drug is safe and nice because you only do it at parties and you're always sure of your source etc. and that people who take these other drugs are dirty junkies or coked up arseholes etc.
Hate to be the one to break it to you, but you're doing an uncontrolled illicit substance. Yes, what you are doing is illegal, when you buy that pill and swallow it you are a criminal.
Sorry to bitch, but so many ppl who take pills class all other drugs as evil and think they will fuck you right up and that pills are safe. I don't like cokeheads or junkies as much as the next person, but they are not a true representation of everyone who uses the drug. As long as someones drug use doesn't affect me in a bad way I don't care what they've taken. Even when it does affect me, I am more inclined to blame the person, as more often that not they know the kind of person they become on the drug and if it's negative to those people around them they should have the decency and respect to either a) not do it around them or b) not do the drug at all.
For example, if I was puddled in a chill room on e and some cokehead came in and started abusing everyone, then I would take offence to that. However if they were on the dance floor cokehead dancing their heads of then that's fine, it's their choice and they're not affecting me.
PS: I really shouldn't post on mondays, I'm too grumpy :)

/\ I couldn't agree with you more!!
At least the price of pills has dropped from $70. ;)

I respect what u say, but u r now the 2nd person on this thread that has read way too much into my post. My initial post was done with so much tongue in cheek it was poking out of my face.
I wasnt passing judgement on anyone or any drug.
I know exactly about the illegalities of the drugs u mentioned and the safety aspects. Taking unknown pills may be the most dangerous of them all.
As for implying other drugs as evil and wrong, that was far from my intention. Personally i have used amphetamines far more extensively than i have pills. So ur arguement about me thinking i am above it all coz i take pills, both in the legal sense and the physiological sense is completely flawed. I study law; i know how illegal it all is.
It was merely a comment that good MDMA pills r often hard to come by, whereas the other drugs on my above list are often not. Heroin i have no comment on, because i do believe the more heroin off the streets the better.
I wasnt comparing speed and coke to bad pills in their effects and what they do. I was conveying how much i personally CARE about whether their is a huge bust of them or not. I dont take coke (but thats not because i have a problem with it) and could throw a dart at someone in the street who would know where to get amphetamines.
Take the following examples:
10kg bust of ice: i shrug my shoulders
500,000 european MDMA pills: i go "oh damn, what a shame"
Can u see this difference?? It has NOTHING to do with my attitude to the different drugs or the people who take them
And before anyone else says anything i know there is a good chance these were not good MDMA pills. Who knows what they were. But dont tell me when u have a pill knowing its a European import, u dont rub your hands together that little bit more.
Whether there is any difference is beside the point.
Hence the whole intended tongue in cheek tone to my original post.
We need a icon with a tongue or something.
And anfalicious; i absolutely 100% agree with everything u said, its just that it was not the right reply to what i intended my post to mean.
[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: Biscuit ]
[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: Biscuit ]

I saw footage of this pill bust on the late news on 7, 9 and 10 all at the same time (as to be expected they all had the same footage and practically the same info and script). They quoted the pills street price at $70 (??). They then followed up with a story about the ice busts in WA. A happy day for staunch conservatives everywhere, and a sad day for those who prize quality imports.
A story in the Herald called the 'High Life' about four weeks ao actually got some prices and lingo right, which was a surprise.
Looking at the recent stories on police integrity (I know, don't trust the media, but hey) I wouldn't be surprised if some of these little goodies find their way back onto the street.

Dont panic guys.
Let the media overprice them. Let them announce they are winning the war on drugs. Let them dumb an already stupid general public.
TAKE HEART KIDDIES.
Just wait till they 'dissapear' from the lockup and 'somehow' get back to us! It happened with the original green question marks.......
As I have said before, one way or another, they will get to us eventually........