Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Preparing Cactus.

cancle

Bluelighter
My friends in the netherlands(everything is legal there) recently aquired some San Pedro Cactus and she was was planning to eat it. I'm inrested to hear if anyine here has ever tried downing the horrible slimy things. If they have what is the best way.
I've searched the psycadelic forum, Eorwid, lyceaum and other sites, but I would still really like some feedback from some hardcore cactus heads. Anyone?
Does anyone else find the concept of eating a cactus hilarious.
[ 05 December 2001: Message edited by: cancle ]

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_preparation2.shtml
but for those who wont filter this quote will cover yer needs
RECIPES
*crudites st. pierre*
slice raw, peeled cactus into sticks. eat like "bitter cucumber spears". add salt, lime-juice and chopped cilantro to taste. this is, so far, my method of choice, partly because it is so minimalist.
*ensalada de nopalitos*
to each 4 oz of peeled, chopped raw cactus add 2 Tbs good-quality cider vinegar, and let stand in the refrigerator for at least an hour. add chopped parsely to taste. this is the second-best tasting recipe.
*nopales asados*
fry raw, peeled cactus strips in extra-virgin olive oil over medium- high heat, until the sharp edges brown, and small golden-brown blisters rise up on the faces. this ties for second best-tasting. the white tissue, in particular, has an underlying quality of sweetness that is brought out by frying, and the contrast of the crispness with the now-gelatinous interior is rather nice. serve lightly salted.
*nopales al vapor*
to 1 2/3 C peeled, trimmed, and chopped fresh cactus add 1 Tbs chopped scallions, a minced clove of garlic and salt to taste. fry in 1 Tbs olive oil, covered, over low-medium heat for 10 min. shake the pan from time to keep the cactus from sticking. when the juice has started to flow, uncover the pan and cook for an additional 15 minutes, until the juice has evaporated some, the residue has begun to resorb, and the cactus is lightly browned. scrape the pan with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking. yield 1/2 C.
this is the best-tasting recipe. my concern is that some of the mescaline might stick to the pan rather than being entirely resorbed, although perhaps it is not carried out of the tissues in the mucilage, but remains behind in the cells. it *does* significantly reduce the volume of the cactus material.
*chunky snot tea*
add 1 - 2 Tbs cactus granules to 1 C hot water, and let stand for a bit. insignificant-looking granules swell to rice-grain size, and even finely chopped and ground fibrous tissue become noticeable "chunky-bits". the mucilage becomes quite pronounced, dripping in strings from the stirring spoon. adding the juice of 1/2 lime, or so, decreases the bitterness.
i wish that i could say that the mucilage reconstitutes as a silky unction, reminiscent of some beloved child-hood comfort food, but what it really reminded me of was a bad head-cold. tossing the reconstituted tea back into the blender smoothes out the texture some. i can't help thinking that this treatment has potential, but i'm darned if i can make it manifest.
*cactus jerky*
the peeled, sliced, and dried cactus sticks can be eaten out-of-hand. this is my second-favorite recipe. it is more work than "cactus sticks", but can be made ahead, and is quite handy. since the mucilage begins to reconstitute during chewing this has the unnerving property of "the more you chew, the more there is to chew".
CONVERSIONS AND YIELDS
a widely-quoted figure says that t. pachanoi (wet) is 0.12% mescaline. freeze-dried unpeeled t. pachanoi is quoted at 2%. it is my impression that fresh cactus varies significantly in entheogenic activity, but this might be due primarily to water content, rather than environmental or cultural considerations. home-drying is probably not as complete as freeze-drying.
8 oz (226 gms) whole, unpeeled, fresh cactus == 270 mg mescaline
12 oz (340 gms) whole, unpeeled, fresh cactus == 400 mg mescaline
2-2.5" dia fresh unpeeled ~= 1.5 oz/in
3.5-4" dia fresh unpeeled ~= 3.5 oz/in
16 oz. fresh cactus ~= 3 oz. fibrous pith
+ 6 oz. white tissue
+ 6 oz. green tissue
+ 1 oz. skin and spines.
12 oz. fresh cactus == 1 oz. dried (+ 7/8 oz. peel).
1 oz. dried cactus == 2 slightly heaping Tbs cactus granules
4 oz. fresh cactus == 5/8 C chopped.
and meet me at....

hmm, anyone actually tried it? (stupid question, of course not, thats illegal!)
quoted doses by volume vary hugely. the above post (from erowid) would claim a 4 inch slice of a 3.5 inch diameter cactus would be a suitable dose. other reports ive heard claim a 12 inch slice would be required. other reports even more.
also the potency of different strains of panchoni varies greatly. i have a feeling that .12% would be the upper limit of potency.
(Edit: Sorry SirLSD... you should know better than that - this isn't the place... BT)
SirLSD
[ 05 December 2001: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

Some excellent replies here guys, thanks.
I'd just like to quickly take issue with the original post: After many months of asking politely that people not advertise their possession of, or intent to consume substances, it would have been far more respectful of the wishes of the administration and equally as easy to post the question "Does anyone have any san pedro cactus recipes?".
The legal status of this particular cactus notwithstanding, I once again request that people PLEASE do not mention your possession of ANYTHING that could be considered a drug. It should be sufficient in all cases to ask questions about A particular drug, without necessarily mentioning that you HAVE SOME.
BigTrancer :)

You're right BT. My bad, i'll edit the post now. Apparently it's perfectly legal to buy, sell, grow and possess cactus, but it is illegal to eat it. I can just picture a cop crouching under a window then springing up when he hears you start crunching away...'Got you sonny!'.
Thanks for the replies. I don't think there is any pleasant way to eat it. There are some fucked up contradictions about where the mescaline actually resides in the plant. One site says to peel the skin of and the other says the skin has the most psychoactive compounds. meh, I'll sort it out. thanks heaps.
If anyone else ha any othere recipies or advice keep it coming.

carn BT, what i said was legal and truthful (greyish area) i shoulda got away with that one. could i please repost it?
SirLSD
ps. look at my signature. im a law abiding citizen ;)
[ 05 December 2001: Message edited by: SirLSD ]

I know SirLSD, I really do empathise with your position. However, as much as I'd like to allow us to develop a community for trade/exchange of these legal plants, and other kinds of psychoactive cacti, fungi, weeds, grasses, toad venom, berries and seeds... I cannot.
In the interests of preserving Bluelight as an information resource for all of us in times of heavy scrutiny from the media and the law in this country and abroad, we must ensure that Bluelight is only that - an information resource... not a place to "get stuff" whatever that stuff may be. That's the reason we don't list sources for anything (besides 5-HTP), including legal products such as nitrous oxide, we don't allow dealing online and we don't allow requests for 'hook-ups'.
There are many other online bulletin boards that DO allow trading of plant materials. There are also many IRC channels on many servers that allow discussion of online sources. There is also email if you wish to make contact with someone to discuss trading these kinds of products.
I could give examples of possible cases where people can get into serious trouble with legal products, and possible cases where Bluelight can be shut down as a result, but I shouldn't have to keep justifying why the rules are there. It should suffice that there are rules that the Bluelight administration request people follow, and people wishing to continue posting on this site should respect that. It's not personal, and I have no vendetta against people wanting to cultivate legal botanicals. I just ask that people don't try to get anything here.
Thankyou, BigTrancer :)

*fully supports BT* - the points he makes are totally valid and totally reasonable. :)
this topic from last year may be of some interest
Anyone know much about Mesculine?
in terms of consuming cactus, i did try it once in the form of a juice. approx 280ml. and it is quite a fucking awful taste. cant really offer much other advice on this one.
[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: MíkeySåmmy ]

I was lucky enough to try some mescaline extracted from San Pedro cactus about three weeks ago.
Pulverise the whole cactus and put it in a pot. Boil for 8 hours (no less!) and watch it to make sure it doesn't burn.
After 8 hours it should be a dark (black-ish colour), thick, goey, vegimite type substance.
This stuff really tastes fucking horrible...
Get the goo, roll it up in pill sized blobs and let it stand or put it in the freezer to dry out.
You'll need to eat at least 10 pill sized blobs. If you are an experienced tripper (LSD, mushies, etc) you'll want 15-20.
Good mescaline always takes a while to kick in (as said on Fear & Loathing...). After an hour you'll start feeling a bit funny and start to feel sick. Try not to throw up, the feeling goes away after about an hour.
It really starts to kick in at about the 3-4 hour mark and will last for ages- usually until you go to bed.
It's a great trip- really clear head (unlike LSD & mushies). You could go out in public and actually hold a conversation with someone or you won't flip out.
Hardcore visuals- the closed eye visuals are very vivid and detailed- just close your eyes and watch the show!
Moderators- I'm sorry if there's anything in my post that shouldn't be, but I wanted to help the guy out. Let me know if I have and I won't do it again.
Cancle- email me and I'll be able to help you out with any questions you may have.

Helpful Cactus Tips : #107
When boiling the cactus it is of vital importance to watch the pot; make sure there is enough water to cover all the cactus all the time otherwise you could walk in to your kitchen to a horrible burning smell, grab the pot of the stove, put in on the benchtop, have the bench top start blistering and cracking and spend the rest of the day trying to clean the pot and get rid of the smell so your parents don't find out when they get home.
I think my friends in the netherlands is going to try again, this time she plans to just boil the fuck out of the cactus, then drink the mucus water. You would be surprised at how disgusting the fucking cactus gets.
[ 09 December 2001: Message edited by: cancle ]