• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Editorial: The Australian 26 Nov 01: Petrol-sniffing scourge needs urgent action

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Editorial: Petrol-sniffing scourge needs urgent action

November 26, 2001

RADICAL action must be taken, and fast, to tackle the epidemic of petrol-sniffing that is killing children and destroying what remains of Aboriginal communities ravaged by decades of this sinister form of substance abuse. As Paul Toohey reported in The Weekend Australian Magazine, in towns such as South Australia's Pukatja – recognised as the town with the most blatant petrol-sniffing problem ever on Aboriginal land – sniffers wander freely in lawless streets. Six have died in Pukatja in the past 18 months, but there's no treatment program. A culture of nihilism has been allowed to take hold in towns where life is so hopeless it is deemed nearly worthless. Addicts are raising children in this high-risk environment, and relatives and even parents are acting as dealers or sources of money. But the white political and intellectual establishment, and some Aboriginal leaders, have washed their hands of the problem. The state has virtually withdrawn from Aboriginal trust-held land such as the Anangu-Pitjantjatjara Lands, taking with it law enforcement. As community development officer Peter Morrison says: "If it was white kids sniffing petrol, they'd bring in the army tomorrow."
Governments, community leaders and, indeed, all Australians, cannot ignore the images of young sniffers holding cans of fuel to their faces, roaming Pukatja's desolate streets. It is a national disgrace that in our affluent land, in the 21st century, there are "nine-year-old girls sniffing petrol and being pack-raped". So what can the state provide? Law and order would be a start. There is no police presence in areas such as the Anangu-Pitjantjatjara Lands and Aboriginal police aides are virtually powerless against the sniffers. Police find it difficult to do much when petrol-sniffing attracts only a $100 fine. Governments at state and national level must set aside differences, and urgently come up with a co-ordinated response. Indigenous Affairs Minister Philip Ruddock should make this issue a top priority. We must be prepared to commit substantial resources to fix the problem. But the will to change needs to come from the people living in these communities who must also take responsibility for their future.
The answer lies in a mixed approach of prohibiting behaviour that wouldn't be tolerated on the streets of most Australian suburbs, rehabilitation through well-resourced treatment programs, and community action plans that are developed with the support of government. As Noel Pearson argues, until substance abuse is rooted out, Aboriginal communities cannot survive, let alone combat violence, abuse within families, and appalling health and education. Cracking down on petrol-sniffers and drunks is essential to restore order and begin the rebuilding process. Radical solutions, such as bringing in the army, ought to be considered. Psychologist Craig San Roque says that "despite the possible repugnance for things military by soft-hearted advocates of reconciliation and indigenous welfare, the army actually has appeal to many indigenous people". The isolation and disadvantage suffered by Aboriginal Australians living on traditional lands is undoubtedly a factor. The majority of the Aboriginal population in Pukatja are not petrol-sniffers, nor are they drunks. But they are welfare-dependent. If the traditional lands are to survive, economic empowerment is vital. In January this year, The Australian told the story of Walter and Topsy Pukatiwara, whose two sons had been incapacitated and confined to wheelchairs because of sniffing. This led to the Prime Minister in April pledging $1 million from the tough-on-drugs strategy. Unbelievably, the money is yet to be spent. The time for bureaucratic wrangling is over. We simply cannot stand by passively while communities rot and children die.
From: http://theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,3316270%255E7583,00.html
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.
[This message has been edited by BigTrancer (edited 29 November 2001).]

*puts on flame suit*
"If it was white kids sniffing petrol, they'd bring in the army tomorrow."
I'd just like to know if this community is one of the ones that insists on self rule and doesn't want "interference" by state/federal governments...
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pumping money into underprivillaged communities (which many aboriginal communities are) but there's no use giving money to people who don't want to help themselves.
If they want to live traditionally on a reservation, I think that's great (these are actually excellent working communities). However, if someone wishes to live in a community that has generally accepted the rules of western society, then it is up to that individual to conform to that society, or face the consequences.
Once again, I'm all for aboriginal funding, whether it be to develop traditional communities or to develop poor areas. This article is an indication of both a government who doesn't care, but more importantly, a community that doesnt.
------------------
Everyone knows cool hit it's peak in 1974.

Aboriginals face many problems, their uneducated,poor, lack a lot of basic services we take for granted, have poor health, as well as all the social and physcological problems they face everyday. You cant say that they dont want help. They probably don't know that life could be better, If we help them and educate them, I think you will see that they will realise the errors in their current living. This has happened in many areas, with some setting up their own petrol policing forces!
Also whats with that conformist bullshit. By being a bluelighter I will assume you take drugs. This is pissing in the wind against all western society's laws. I'm sure you don't want to be labeled a criminal. So saying abide by our rules or piss off is very hypocritical.

Baba: I know what I'm talking about, just struggling to put it into words
smile.gif
I'm not saying they have to be conformist etc. just that if they choose to live in a society, then they have to live in that society. Yes, I do occasionally take drugs, but I work bloody hard to make sure that my drug use does not have a detrimental affect on my community, as I believe most recreational drug users do. I honestly don't care what anyone does with their life, so long as they don't hurt others in the process (as much as possible). Like I said, I'm all for funding for these communities as it is a fundamental lifestyle change that is needed.
I think kind of along these lines. I have nothing against the dole. I have nothing against austudy/abstudy. I have nothing against any form of welfare, provided that the person receiving the welfare is making a conscious effort to better the society that is supporting them. This could be doing voluntary work, looking for a job or studying, even down to raising a family, as long as they raise that family well. It's when people think they have a right to government money, but that they have no duty to give back to the community.
I guess I have major internal conflicts in that I believe in the welfare state, but I hate bleeding hearts
smile.gif

Oh, and criticism is very welcome, provided it is constructive, intelligent and non abusive
smile.gif

------------------
Everyone knows cool hit it's peak in 1974.

Baba. I may get flamed like a steak on a BBQ for this one...
But having lived in Perth, there is a MAJOR aboriginal problem. I say problem not as in there are many of them (which there are) but the problem being that they are ALWAYS fucked up on something. NOW one can blame social problems, society being racist.. you can blame many things. But at the end of the day, you can only really blame yourself.
I didn't steal this country of the little Aboriginal trying to knife me while he's high on glue. I didn't call someone a ****** so why is he calling me a racist and trying to fight me. I didnt't make this guys life so bad he hasn't showered in for days and say's he fucked my mother....
I have problems so can I blame the world and call everyone a racist too?
YES baba I take things on the weekend to maybe 'escape' from reality for a while, but i go out to have fun and enjoy life. GRANTED i may have a lot more to enjoy than some, but is that my fault. Would I blame anyone for my downfalls in life. NO. You may say I dont know what it feels like to be them.. homeless, no money... well think twice.
These guys get fucked up and go around doing some fucked up shit. I know Baba, I see it everyday. So personally I think you have to help yourself to be helped. You have to want to improve your life. To become better. But I have seen it once or twice in my thousands of encounters with Aboriginals.
I am by no means a racist, I see people not their colour. But as far as I'm concerned, if they wanna do it, don't waste my tax money on policing petrol sniffers.
And trust me, when they get arrested, Aboriginal services will be there in a second screaming "RACIST".........

I agree with anfalicious. If they want to live in there'traditional' way, then obviously there will be a lack of basic conditions.
I don't want to go on, as this subject can go on and on. It could turn into a huge flame, which would turn us BL's against one an other. Should this subject be swept under the mat? Hell no! But I don't think this forum is the place to discuss it.
Others will disagree.
------------------
"You want more??"

Being a perthite, and let me make it clear that in no way am I racist or have any problem with aboriginals, I can relate to BFB's statements and feel the aboriginal people of perth more specifically the 'gangs' that hang about northbridge need to be looke d at.
The majority of perth peoples only experiences with aboriginals is down James street on saturday nights or arround the city bus/train station during the day. Now this is only a small percentage of the Perth aboriginal community but their actions label all their people. I would guess about 75% of those that hang arround these areas are affected by some substance or another and they always make it know with their antisocial behaviour. Its not uncommon to walk out from the library car park at the end of James street to be confronted by a group of aboriginals and an emptied Coke bottle taking turns sniffing whatever they've put inside it.
They made the noongar patrol to deal with these crowds but to what extent it has helped the situation I couldn't be sure on but in my eyes its made no difference what so ever. If the aboriginal people want to be looked apon as equals then these people need to be delt with.
But as said above the only way this problem can be resolved is if the people abusing the substances themselves are educated or the aborginal community takes some action. It is a huge problem and I cant personally make much comment as I dont really understand the situation most of these people are in, but the fact that such a large group of people are continually abusing substances in a public place there is obviously some serious issues needing to be looked at.

whatever, guys. this is a thread about petrol sniffing specifically, not the general problems facing aboriginal communities. that's a complex issue for another forum... but:
Radical solutions, such as bringing in the army, ought to be considered
OH, MY, GOD! have we not moved beyond these sorts of punitive approaches? i think that aboriginal kids sniffing petrol is a health issue, and one that is symptomatic of deeper social problems. sending in the Army to make sure kids don't sniff petrol seems like the greatest overkill imaginable! would the soldiers be walking the streets, guns at the ready, on full alert for a petrol-sniffing emergency? that'd be like living in a martial state, which is not the way i'd like MY country to be run... A waste of resources, and i'm sure it would send the wrong signal to the aboriginal community AND to the redneck minority who think "Abo's" are subhuman anyway.
as for the statement that if it was white kids sniffing petrol, the army would've been sent in... WHERE THE HELL WOULD THEY HAVE BEEN SENT??? to the bedrooms of the youth of melbourne? some people are just fucking STUPID!!!

Good point DQ. I dont think aboriginals are anything but equal to us. I've just had some VERY bad experinces with them
But yes... getting back on topic......

*applauds Bunny*
...and Im sure that the Aboriginal man that tried to mug me and a friend last weekend was doing his bit for equality.
bah

the federal government actually withdrew funding (prior to the last federal election) that allowed for outback aboriginal communities to convert utilities to use aviation fuel, and to transport the required fuel to the communities. when the funding was withdrawn, communities needed to put up the money to convert utilites to use petrol again, and thus make petrol available to members of the community, or continue to pay the large amounts necessary to source aviation fuel without help from the government.