• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Push to ban DXM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baba_ORiley

Bluelighter
In today's Herald Sun.
COUGH SYRUP A HEALTH DANGER
Doctors and drug experts are calling for tighter curbs on over the counter cough syrup.
The health experts fear children are putting themselves at risk by using the med to get high.
Many popular cough suppresants contain DXM, a drug which can cause a range of serious health problems when taken in large doses, including brain damage, stroke and liver and kidney damage.
Household brands include Benadryl and Robotussin wich can brought over the counter at any chemist.
In large doses DXM is said to be more powerfull than LSD.
( a bit of bullshit about growing numbers, parents concerns etc.)
Ther is no clinical research into the use of DXM as a recreational drug in australia, but doctors believ abuse of the drug began in America as a cheap alternative to expensive illict substances.
Users told the herald sun THEY HAD HEARD OF IT ON THE INTERNET
wink.gif

Health department spokesman said victoria could not legislate to restrict the sale of DXM products because it came under federal pharmaceutical laws.
A spokeswoman for the therapuetic goods administration said doctors could apply to the national drugs and poisons schedule committee for legislative changes.
Although the artcile doesn't indicate anything deffinite, its big exposure for a minor drug such as dxm. Can't wait for the mike munro version.
Better all go and stock up in case!!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Baba_ORiley (edited 19 November 2001).]

Well DXM has had quite a bit of media exposure in the U.S and its not scheduled there.I think the herald-scum needed to fill some space and we probably won't hear about it again(I hope).Or i guess some fuckwit GP could try and save the nations youth and petition for it to be sceduled.

thats the only thing about a place like bluelight, new drugs are more quickly found, used widely and scheduled.
if the internet had been around in the 80's I'm sure it wouldn't have taken so long for E to get scheduled.
Ah well!

*cough*, the internet was around in the 80's
I used to use it in the 80's
smile.gif

Old timer wazza says hi
back to topic..
Well, this might now make some people who have never had it, try it and maybe with bad mixes like with mdma etc..
*sigh* to Herald Sun
------------------
We could learn a lot from Crayons: Some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but we have to learn how to live in the same box.

They havn't banned bulbs, I doubt they'll ban something with medicinal value...

Tarsarlan >
please dont even think think that sort of thing man..
the horrors of a world without nitrous would be too large to face..
------------------

hmmm, TGA make it more difficult to legally obtain DXM as a chemical? quite posibly.
as for the scheduling of the particular brand of cough mixture. the worst they would do is make it S3 recordable. so ud have to verbally give some sort of a name and address
to perchious it.
or! media and TGA pressure could force the particula brand of cough mixture to add sorbitol etc to it. hopefully the TGA would bluntly ignore the media and make its own descision. but reformulating to add sorbitol to the mixture would take the pharmacists from the particular company about 10 mins to do, so why not.
or posibly nothin could happen.
SirLSD

more powerful than lsd. Talk about sensationalism.
Average dose of DXM: 400mg
Average dose of LSD: 50-100 MICROGRAMS.
idiots

Hmmmmmm.
DXM hey?
I recall a newbie asking a lot of people a lot of questions in a chatroom not long ago...
Always asking about DXM and pills etc etc... even when told not to.
And all of a sudden.. DXM in the papers? INFO they say found on the net?
Bit of a CO-winkidink dont u think?
STRONGER THAN ACID... shit these guys are stupid.

They already do put sorbitol in Benadryl(as i found out tonight after i'd already bought it)Its in very small print somewhere on the box
[This message has been edited by akshEn74 (edited 22 November 2001).]

It doesn't matter i went back and told them i got my girlfriend the wrong cough syrup.

Tarsarlan >
please dont even think think that sort of thing man..
the horrors of a world without nitrous would be too large to face..
------------------
horrors like preventing a certain % of the population being brain damaged and amnesiac maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.