• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 13 Nov 01: Tobacco giant buys rights to lung cancer drugs

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Tobacco giant buys rights to lung cancer drugs
By SARAH BOSELEY
LONDON
Tuesday 13 November 2001

One of the world's biggest tobacco companies aims to make billions of dollars from diseases caused by cigarettes through deals with biotech companies for exclusive rights to future lung cancer vaccines.
The plan by Japan Tobacco, which makes Camel, Winston, Mild Seven and Salem, was condemned on Sunday as cynical and dangerous. If a successful lung cancer vaccine was found, it would not stop smokers dying of other tobacco-related diseases. But such a vaccine, promoted by a tobacco company, could encourage smoking...
Full article at: http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/2001/11/13/FFX8YC44XTC.html
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.
[This message has been edited by BigTrancer (edited 13 November 2001).]

Well this is just f%*ked up isn't it...
frown.gif

------------------
"There are known knowns; there are things we know we know; there are known unknowns, that is to say the things we know we don't know, but at least we know we don't know them; and then there are unknowns, unknown unknowns, the things we don't know we don't know and those are the dangerous ones." - US Secretary of Defence, Donald Rumsfeld.

That's just fucking appalling. I mean, just the idea of it makes me sick. There's nothing else I can say..
**gets up and slowly walks away in amazmed disbelief**
------------------
The essance is knowing which appel on the tree you want..

Are you fucken serious?
That makes me sick to be a human, if thats what they do. Hook people to a product which causes them to form an addiction and in the process gain lung cancer. And where does your money go when you try to halt your lung cancer? Back to the same people who hooked you in the first place.
Disgraceful...
Adikkal

sounds like a good time to buy shares in japan tobacco :p
------------------
Everyone knows cool hit it's peak in 1974.

Lol@anfa - just what i was thinking.
Honestly, it ain't that bad, no-one holds a gun to your head and forces you to take up smoking it's a conscious decision.
At least maybe with big backing like that a solution would be found quicker/cheaper.
i only have a problem if they sit on it and don't use it (ala oil companies buying hydrogen engine protypes), or exploit it and make it for say 5c a pill but charge $4 a pill to cancer sufferers - perhaps the company is trying to make recompense for all the harm its products have caused?
As for it promoting smoking - if you know it causes lung cancer, and the companies are aiding in helping fight it.. if it encourages you to smoke, then maybe you deserve some form of illness.
It's a fucked notion - getting rich off the problems you created, but i'll be talking to my broker about this jap tobacco company.. seems like they're on a winner here
wink.gif

How darkly fucking ironic is that?
And I aint talking freaking Alanis Morrisette ironic either...
------------------
only users lose drugs

Supaspeed you say that no one holds a gun to your head. Smoking is an addiction just like any other drug addiction (probably more physical than nearly everthing else). No one holds a gun to your head when you take party drugs but you still take them even though you know the adverse health risks.

I think the point here baba is the fact that the guys who are causing the disease are now holding tyhe future cure/treatments....
Thats just fuc**d up....
I dont even NEED to go into it for you to see that.

Of course I agree with that. Never said I didn't. The greatest evil is that governments keep it legal even though they now the effects, just to reap the benefit of the huge taxes(if only they realised they had to pump it all back into the health system to treat smoke related illnesses).

thats fuckign appaling
nothing else needs to be said
it's like heroin dealers from the golden triangle buying the licensing rights to methadone or naltrexone or something
like not exactly
but i think you get my point

This is absolutely sickening, yet so brilliant...
------------------
You have to run as fast as you can just to stay where you are.
If you want to get anywhere you'll have to run much faster.
--Lewis Carroll

Next Jenny Craig'll be buying the recipe to the world's best chocolate brownies...
------------------
only users lose drugs

Of course I agree with that. Never said I didn't. The greatest evil is that governments keep it legal even though they now the effects, just to reap the benefit of the huge taxes(if only they realised they had to pump it all back into the health system to treat smoke related illnesses).
I hope you never bitch about drugs being illegal...
------------------
Everyone knows cool hit it's peak in 1974.

Decriminilised yes. Legal no. But thats getting way off topic.
[This message has been edited by Baba_ORiley (edited 15 November 2001).]