News: The Age, 12/11 - Agents raid Californian marijuana clinics

Mr. Horse

Bluelight Crew
This makes me sick to the stomach
Agents raid Californian marijuana clinics
By OLIVER POOLE
LOS ANGELES
Monday 12 November 2001
Medical centres in California that provide marijuana to terminally ill patients are being raided by federal drugs officers in a move that brings the US Government into conflict with the rights of individual states to create their own laws.
California passed a law allowing the sale of marijuana for medical use after a 1996 referendum, but it breaks federal anti-narcotics laws.
Officers of the Drug Enforcement Agency have in the past month seized cannabis plants, medical records and documents from three centres in the state.
In a radical shift from the government's previously relaxed approach to the the medical use of marijuana, the Justice Department has also warned nine other states with similar laws to stop lawbreaking or face raids.
The crackdown follows a Supreme Court ruling this year that the medical dispensation of marijuana is no protection from federal law.
A protest vigil was held last week at the DEA's most recent target, the Los Angeles Cannabis Resource Centre in West Hollywood. Among the crowd were many of its 960 registered patients, most of whom have cancer or AIDS. They say they use the drug to suppress some of their worst symptoms.
Captain Lynda Castro, the local sheriff, was present. She had refused to help the DEA with its raid.
Scott Imler, the president of the centre, said he had been told to expect criminal charges. He felt the government had decided to implement its more controversial social policies at a time when attention was focused on Afghanistan.
- TELEGRAPH
From The Age, link here

How can they pass a law which allows the use of hooch for medical purposes and then the government runs in and raids the place?
How does that work?

The State government passed the law but the federal government is now actively enforcing the recent Supreme Court ruling.

which effectively makes state laws useless, when its just gonna be pissed on by federal laws.

This just proves the mindless thinking of some americans.
Cali: Yeah sure guys, you need it for your pain and suffering, to live through the time you have left.... Don't worry our state laws have passed it...
USA BIG SHOTS: Ummmmmmmm they have drugs.... Let's get them guys
------------------
deeCee1
------------------
[edit 31/10/01] *removes old shitty signature*
*Still thinking of a new one*
------------------

Here here Mr E Moore!!
The same shit happens here - ie NT and euthanasia... it can only happen in australia for territories, the Cth doesn't have that power over the states. So if you're progressive state legalises shooting galleries, or medicinal marijuana, then you're clear.
But if you live in ACT or NT and that happens, the Fed Govt will most likely step in.
But cancer and aids victims - GW Bush is a fuckwit.

Who are they actually trying to protect with this move? I can't come up with anything except for "their own self-interests"...

Well, like with most american government actions it pretty much comes down to showing 'resolve' and fuck me haven't americans construed that word.
It's a wierd place america - full of hypocrisy.. Just look at the wrestling. They have to pixelate some-one raising their middle finger (threat of violence), but applaud when that same person picks up a chair and smacks someone over the back of the head with it (actual violence). I think common sense left sometime during the MAD days..

"The same shit happens here - ie NT and euthanasia... it can only happen in australia for territories, the Cth doesn't have that power over the states. So if you're progressive state legalises shooting galleries, or medicinal marijuana, then you're clear."
actually no..the Cth laws always outrule the state laws.. its just the Cth is unable to make laws regarding certain things thanks to the constitution
smile.gif

although if the Cth tries hard enough im sure it could find a loophole and chuck laws into the trade act or something.. or it can give generous "donations" to states that implement laws that the Cth wants..

Ahh pom i knew that.. i was simplifying it :p
But if a state govt did a move like that with big voter support (ie NSW or Vic) the fed govt would be committing electoral suicide if they changed it. (assuming they find some loophole that the HC upholds.)

I can't wait till the day that the US realise the huge hole they've dug themselves, when they suddenly realise they're harshness on marijuana has been absolutely POINTLESS. What the fuck have they achieved?
This kinda shit infuriates me. Damn yankee govt are like,
"Natural substances are NOT allowed to be consumed by patients. I repeat, NOT allowed. Please take these federally taxed pharmaceuticals, at least you're putting back into the society you dying piece of scu... err i mean loveable cancer patient.
Ohh and remember, only take one of those pills a day because two have been known to cause extreme intense pain, and 3 can, well kill you. Here you go!"
Why are they afraid of weed?
Adikkal

For 2 reasons. Firstly, marijuana started out as a drug used mainly by blacks, so it gave them a really good reason to beat the phuck out of em and put them in jail.
Secondly, the marijuana prohibition law (I believe was passed either late 19th or early 20th century), was pushed largely by a man named Dupont. Now dupont was a very rich man, and immensely wealthy. Where did he make his wealth I hear you ask? Well, from the production of nylon, of which Hemp is a major competitor.
I often get into this discussion with my brother, his conspiracy theories get really interesting (dont know how true they are
wink.gif
). For example, the largest importer of drugs to the US is the CIA. We agian come across the blacks, the largest, shall we say "problem" users of narcotics in the US. By pumping more drugs into black communities, it helps to keep them in poverty and uneducated, out of fear of an intellectual black uprising.
Another one, this coincides woth the CIA drug dealing conspiracy, is the use of gangs. Street gangs, particularily in LA, are mainly composed of illegal latino immigrants. In the wonderful free world of the US, they learn about the gang culture, and all that goes with it. The immigration department then sweeps in and picks up these illegals and sends them packing back home. These people then get back to their homes and go back to the only life they know, gang life. This causes disruption in the are and instability in the region, leaving US to come in and be big brother to help out the government and impose their policies upon them.
Take all of that as you will, it's not necessarily my opinion, is just a cause for many an interesting conversation/debate.
Another thing we do, is switch sides half-way through, and argue the other point. It's very interesting and enjoyable, and helps you have a wider viewpoint of your own argument.
smile.gif

------------------
Everyone knows cool hit it's peak in 1974.