Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Buying Syringes

HTK

Bluelighter
Ok, ive never had to buy syringes before so im just going to walk into a chemist and say i need to buy syringes for my mum who has Diabetes. The only thing is i dont know what type to ask for, ive read posts from Blue Lighters in other countries but i want to know the type to buy here in Australia.
------------------
A witty signature proves nothing!!

syringes are syringes, they have universal classification, so whatever people on the international boards are saying is relevent. Just make sure it is bevelled for easy insertion and a small enough diameter to reduce the pain of sticking the thing in yourself and not leave a big hole. Read up on how to do it properly though cos if you go through the vein and not just into it's lumen (the inside bit) it is gonna hurt like a bitch and leave a nice big bruise. Believe i have performed phlebotomy (taking blood) many times and seen people fuck up. If you mess up, people are going to know by the big bruise on ya arm. Think i have said too much, probably not what you were after, but hey this is harm minimisation after all
smile.gif

------------------
where's your head at?
come to think of it, where's mine?????

Buy the way there is nothing wrong with buying syringes, they can't not sell them to you, if they are for drugs they will be happy that you are using fresh needlesso you don't catch any naughty little bugs.

Yeah, i know all that and thanx for the advice. I aint no newbee to IV, just never had to buy them before. If i go in and ask for "1cc 29 gauge insulin syringe " will that work in Australia, Thats all i care about, I dont want to walk in and find out that i have made a fool of myself

You simply walk into a chemist and ask for a syringe pack,they'll give you a bag with probably 3 fits,water,a spoon and swabs.They cost from $3-$5.Not a lot of chemists sell fits though,a community health centre is a better place to go or if your in the country just go to a Hospital and ask.And 27gauge is a lot better than 29gauge imo anyway(Terumo 1ml 27g)
wink.gif

i find that becton dickinson (bd) produce the best syringes around. they do numerous product lines for diabetic syringes and insulin pen needles.
as of june 2000 diabetic syringes are available free of charge for residents of nsw, act, qld and vic through what is called the national diabetic supply scheme (NDSS), so you may want to think about that before requesting syringes for your "diabetic" mother.
various drug and alcohol centres around sydney and other capital cities have vending machines which stock what are commonly called "fit kits," containing a spoon, alcohol swabs, sterile water and needles. these kits are around $2 and also double as a disposal container for your used sharps. you can also find needle exchange centres around the place which will gladly exchange old for new, no questions asked, and also make fresh needles available to you.
i would recommend a b-d ultra-fine needle, 29 gauge (0.33mm X 12.7mm), 1mL. they are available in boxes of 100, not sure what the price is nowadays, but it used to be around $5 a while ago. you may want to experiment with longer or shorter needles (they range from 8mm to 12.7mm but i find the longer ones do just fine). i don't think you would prefer a higher gauge needle unless you're a sadist, but hey, go ahead if you want! it may help if you just walk in with that written down on a piece of paper, say your mum isn't on the NDSS, and act dumb. it's not illegal to purchase syringes or use them to self-administer drugs...
have fun!

The source when it comes to syringe questions on bluelight is PhreeX the moderator on Other drugs[a licensed phlebotomist]{spell?}. Did a search and came up with wayyyy to many links to list, so suggest you do the same, particularily check out Phreex's guide to IV injections.