Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Vit. C - No help in battling the common cold

HappyCamper

Bluelighter
Did anyone else hear about this a week or so ago?
Apparently they done 'tests' (sorry for lack of info) and have found that Vitamen C does nothing at all with respect to shortening / lessening the effects of a cold.
But the funny thing i thought was even after finding this out and telling a few people, they had some interviews and the majority still said "Yeah i'll still take it.. i dunno it just seems to work for me"... mind over matter 'eh.
I think they said oranges / fresh OJ still helps, but must be something other then the Vit C content... maybe the citric acid -shrug-.
anyways just informing (like Snow did all those year ago hehe)
HC

I always thought that you were supposed to take vit C to prevent yourself from getting a cold.
I use eccinacia (no, i can't spell it) to lessen the effects of a cold.

yeah eccinachea is the shit
smile.gif

hc

If anyone has problems with there teeth, stay away from chewable vitamin C. The ascorbic acid attacks teeth worse than Coke.
I know there a few dentally challenged BLers out there munching on magnesium Ü

Whats eccinachea?? If theres some sus cold prevention method I'd like to know more.. ??
Cheers.

vit C is good for many many things. including reducing neurotoxicity. many scientists will swear by vit c as a extremely good dietry suppliment.

It is probably the placebo effect that most people get better from when taking vit C.
ie they take vit C. Then they think they will get better because they have just taken a little medicine pill that is supposed to help... so they pyschologically start thinking their getting better.
It is common for the brain to work this way...
I remember being told that cigarettes (nicottine) are much more addictive that Heroin. For a few weeks after being told this I couldn't stop thinking that I needed a cigarette. But as soon as someone else told me that Herion is actually harder to stop using than nicottine because it is more physically addictive (ie injecting into the arm), I stopped smoking (as much) because I realized that i wasn't physically dependant to smoke... it was more a feeling that i got from the nicottine.
However this is different for everyone because we all have different beliefs and react differently from stimuli to others.

I would highly doubt that vitamin C would do nothing for the effects of a cold. It seems every time they do a study on vitamin C they find something good about it that they didn’t know. One thing I do recall reading about vitamin C is that it does go through the system very quickly, with in a matter of minutes. If you ever buy vitamins always make sure you get a slow release formula. This is especially important with vitamin C. Unless you are willing to take a normal vitamin C tablet 3 or more times a day, it is not particularly effective.
---------
"If you want to win anything -- a race, your self, your life -- you have to go a little berserk"

i does less to REDUCE a cold. I have always read that it improves your immune system so that you are less prone to catching a cold in the first place.
Many ppl bag vit C cause they try taking it when they have a cold and it doesn't seem to do anything. After that they stop taking it. You should just get in a habit of eating it every, for example, 2nd day. Or take a multivitamin EVERY day. This way your immune system has all the ingredients it needs to fight some nasty bug ass.
[This message has been edited by robE (edited 09 October 2001).]

There was also a 'study' (and I use the term loosely for this as well) that Echinacea provides no proven benefits for minimising, either the onset, effects or duration of colds and flu.
Of course, this could mean that, as usual it will be de-bunked by another study in two weeks or two years time from some obsure division of a university in some country we have never heard of.
Or it could mean that the 'plecebo effect' is with us all! A bit like 'the force', I guess.
[This message has been edited by Kaister (edited 10 October 2001).]

*steps up to defend vit c*
vit c rocks!
- inoffensive flava
- antioxidant that kills nasty free-radicals
- aids in fight against neurotoxicity for above reason
your cells can only hold so much vit c so u always need to top up and having heaps at once won't benefit you & the surplus may even give u diahorrea. strawbs, kiwis & apples r all high in vit c but I have also read that 1000mg takenh thrice daily at the onset of a cold can minimise symptoms.
And even if it *is* a placebo, it still works doesn't it?
smile.gif

Milkybar,
You could have been Luke Skywalker.
Obi would have said, "Use the force, Milkybar"

i dont care how many tests they do, i am pretty certain it makes a difference.
when i had the flu in late august, i literally went overboard with tha vit C and i recovered faster.
it also helps prevent all sorts of sickness.

Yeah... research means nothing.
Christ, we're supposed to be an information resource site. Can we try to stick to the facts here please?
If you have a link to a study on Vitamin C or echinacea's effects or lack thereof, then post it. If not, don't post stuff about "i heard they done tests" and then make shit up.
wink.gif
I heard that 70% of statistics are made up on the spot. Also ravers get more placebo effect from echinacea because it's got the word "eccie" in it.
wink.gif

BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

bwahhahhahahhh!...
now _THAT_ one was a true pearler ... mad props to j00 trancer ...
------------------
rhythmatic movements in unison with others prolong an act of sensation with no limits or boundaries >