Votes: 3 42.9%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wordswords

Bluelighter
This movie was much better than I thought it would be. While Mark Wahlberg doesn't do much of anything great, he doesn't do anything very bad either. Christian Bale actually pulled off an extremely serious piece of acting very well.

This movie was first rate. An easy 4 stars.

Consider seeing this in a week or two.

Still not sure if it's worth seeing, there's been that many movies of the same genre/plot/storyline that I'm thinking I'm better off downloading or waiting until it comes out on DVD.

Yeah i enjoyed this movie too.

High on Crack Street - HBO Documentary is related to this movie also. I didn't know it before i watched it, but some other BL's might know the documentary about a group of crack users. One of them was Dicky (a former pro boxer) and he and his brother and mother are all in this movie (based on a true story).

If you haven't seen it, try and see High on Crack Street as well.

the dramatic parts were excellent. the boxing parts not so much.

I didn't like it. Turned it off about half way through. It's a well made movie, I guess but I thought it was boring. Just another boxing movie. Nothing special. Which is disappointing because David O Russel is usually at least a bit odd, even if he doesn't always hit the nail on the head. Though, I do have high hopes for his next feature, despite the lack of a release date:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1137470/

i think it's worth the runtime just on bale's performance, t_d. forget about the boxing, cuz i agree in that regard it's not that good.

the dramatic parts were excellent. the boxing parts not so much.

Agree. The acting was good but the action was pedestrian.

I thought Bale overdid it.

I thought Bale was the best part of an entertaining but forgettable film. Bale said he had to tone down Dickie’s accent otherwise the audience wouldn’t have understood him.

I thought Bale overdid it.

I agree

he reminded me of his character in Harsh Times:

NSFW:
harsh_times.jpg

Bale has lost and put back on a LOT of weight for three roles in seven years. Rescue Dawn/ The Machinist and now The Fighter. I think it's a little bit weird that so many roles require him to be THAT skinny. Maybe he's been typecast as an actor who will transform his body for a part. I don't know, but I don't think the real Dicky Eklund was ever that skinny. In that documentary they made about him he wasn't very skinny. And as for his accent, both brothers had weird speaking voices yet Wahlberg's character sounds exactly like Wahlberg more or less. Bale seemed to be acting "more" than the rest of the cast - like Brando in the Godfather.

When Bale won the Golden Globe he acknowledged Mark Wahlberg and said it's harder to stand out when you have to play the stoic character, which he has also played himself in the past (Batman to Heath Ledger's Joker) So I guess Bale stood out because he was playing the film's most colourful character in terms of his lines and behaviour. I thought the prison scene where he was watching himself on TV and then cracked it when he saw his son crying was really powerful because of the way it contrasted with the way he swaggered into the room at the start of the scene. I found that more moving than when Mickey Ward won the title.

honestly I discarded this movie due to it's uninteresting premise and vague title

however, I have obviously heard many good things on Christian Bale's performance, and his character appears to be very interesting... I'm gonna check this out soon

So I guess Bale stood out because he was playing the film's most colourful character in terms of his lines and behaviour.

For me, he stood out too much. Great drama is not achieved by wildly exaggerating one or more of your characters. What you end up with is melodrama, which is what this film was to me. Particularly the scene that you mentioned...

^yeah, the outrageousness of him settles halfway through. watch the whole thing, bro.

monkeymark is already talking sequel, somehow.

For me, he stood out too much. Great drama is not achieved by wildly exaggerating one or more of your characters. What you end up with is melodrama, which is what this film was to me. Particularly the scene that you mentioned...

Did he stand out too much though? Apart from Wahlberg's character the rest of the family were pretty out there too.

Bale is not my only gripe with the film, but yeah he stood out too much. I'm not saying that it was the only exaggerated personality in the film, but Bale's was definitely a far more eccentric performance than the rest of the cast. I did say "one or more characters"... and he doesn't have to be the only exaggerated personality for the film to qualify as melodrama anyway.

Oxford Dictionary said:
a sensational dramatic piece with exaggerated characters and exciting events intended to appeal to the emotions.

I'd prefer for films like this to skip the "heart-string" bullshit and just tell the story. Melodrama isn't necessary in the world of biopics. If the story isn't interesting enough in the first place, then don't make it into a film - injecting extra drama just makes it worse IMO. If they thought the story was going to be compelling enough for audiences, they wouldn't have had to exaggerate/ exploit Bale's character so much. But that's the problem with Hollywood produced biopics. They almost always fuck up the story for the sake of the box office. Whether or not things are accurately portrayed is not the priority. People love wildly exaggerated characters and over the top performances. There is very little patience for subtlety in commercial film. Marlon Brando's Godfather is regarded by a lot of people as one of the greatest performances of all time. But really, it's just very eccentric. It stands out (in a good way to some, in a bad way to others) because everything about the character is utterly bizarre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtYjdEwa8GA

Everybody else at the table sounds like an Italian American gangster. Brando looks and sounds like an alien in a human body. His face doesn't move properly when he speaks, he shrugs repeatedly, moves his hands strangely, raises his eyebrows a lot... and he appears to have both laryngitis and a handful of speech impediments.

In A Streetcar Named Desire, there is supposed to be a huge contrast between Stanley and Blanche. Tennessee Williams is melodrama, so Brando's over-acting makes sense. In the Godfather, it just come across as weird. The performance doesn't "do" anything for the story aside from artificially highlighting his character. And, unlike in Streetcar, in the Godfather there is no point in juxtaposing his character against the rest of the cast.

Similarly, there is no point in overplaying Bale and underplaying Wahlberg - especially since Wahlberg is the protagonist. A couple of people said they thought the ending was underwhelming because they didn't feel invested in Wahlberg's character which to me is a pretty big failing. Don't you think?

Last edited:
This movie was ten times better than I thought it would be....I hate Mark W. in any role other than Boogie Nights, so I didn't expect much. Great crackhead role by Batman and some good rocky moments pulled me in.