Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Police Valutions of Drug hauls - "oh so wrong"

Stylin

Bluelighter
whenever they make a big bust, i worked it out, that they value each pill at appx 66 dollars street value, obviously for sensationlism but fuck, they are idiots....
smile.gif

------------------
the secret to success is clean underwear and a good top hat

[cnsprcy]
Either that or they weigh/count the total pills siezed, do a calculation based on $50 street value of the pills for use during trial, and then somehow one-third of the pills disappear before the news gets to the print media... leaving us with a magical price that is one-third (ie 33%) higher, or $66.67.
[/cnsprcy]
BigTrancer
wink.gif

------------------
Load universe into cannon. Aim at brain. Shoot.

[generalrantaboutthecops]
the cops couldn't catch a flu.
why do they waste time with such propaganda as the war on drugs and overstating the value of their catches when there are people on the streets getting beaten up over $10 and their mobile?!
when it comes to drugs coming in to the country, such as the recent surf board incident, who finds the drugs?! customs? air port staff? it sure ain't the cops... "yeah tony we're just checking out a suspicious surf board"
the police are really wonderful. i feel safe in the streets.
[/generalrantaboutthecops]
------------------
wisest is he who knows that he does not know...
the not so artistic artist formerly known as nostalgic...

ahh, but apollo* - the cops would claim they are trying to stop people being beaten over $10 and a mobile. Why do most of these beatings happen - drugs (or rather money for drugs). So police claim they are targetting the cause of the problem not the symptom.
The real question is why they aren't targetting the reasons for people doing drugs. In a society with no need or want for drugs, there would be no instances of drug related crime.
But yeah, cops can be dodgy. I know a cop that used to head the major crime squad in melbourne prior to it being disbanded. About 20% of the cops in that squad are now in jail (luckily my mate jumped ship prior to it going down
smile.gif
). The flipside however is that there are more good cops than bad. It just seems like most bad cops end up in the drug squad
wink.gif

the only people i can ever see stealing for pills are westy bogans at raves...
or westy bogans, they'll steal anyhow, even it wasnt for drugs......
ps.
smile.gif

in the recent story about the hash bust, the figure of $15 Million dollars was quoted. fair enuf, it was a hell of a lot of hash, tonnes of the stuff. but the thing that annoyed me was the police making this leap of logic:
"With an estimated street value of $15 million, this seizure represents a significant blow to the organised crime syndicate behind the importation," he said.
"No drug syndicate can afford to lose such a substantial amount of money without suffering a major setback to the conduct of their illegal activities."
umm they didnt lose 15 million dollars. they lost whatever they paid for the hash, which would be considerably less than that.ok this figure is probaby in the hundreds of thousands i admit, but thats a whole order of magnitude.
yes, it is going to piss off the guys that funded the deal, but i really doubt it's a "significant blow". more like a significant publicity windfall for the cops, and a very significant addition to their budget justifications.
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh

JB, exactly. Logically any 'organised crime syndicate' is going to make allowances for the fact that over time, a percentage of their haul is going to be seized. Any fool could see that they offset this by smuggling proportionally even more into the country, thereby recouping their profits. When drugs are being intercepted in large ammounts, this should mean that an even higher percentage is getting through. No crime syndicate is going to rely on a single haul to fund all their operations... Fools.