Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug raid on Canberra lounge bar

Mr Giggles

Bluelighter
Designer drugs found in Kingston bar raid
By MONIKA BOOGS
A police crack-down on drug use in Canberra's nightclub scene resulted in a raid at
a Kingston bar in the early hours of yesterday morning.
The raid at Lot 33 is the first to be conducted at Canberra nightclubs and bars as
part of Operation Skeet, a police campaign against the manufacture, supply and
use of ecstasy, amphetamines and cocaine and licensing breaches such as
overcrowding and under-age drinking.
Sniffer dogs, police, ACT Liquor Licensing, Customs officers and ACT Fire Brigade
officers entered Lot 33 at 1.45am, asking for the music to be turned off, informing
patrons why they were there, and asking them to leave.
Patrons leaving the club walked past the police and Customs sniffer dogs, who
reacted to some of the people. Police used their emergency powers to search
them.
Once the patrons were gone, police found 21 packets of various drugs that had
been dropped on the floor and behind seats.
Australian Federal Police Commander Operations Ben McDevitt said police
intelligence showed most dealing in cocaine, ecstasy and amphetamines in the ACT
was occurring in Canberra's nightspots.
"Those involved in the liquor industry, and nightclubs particularly, should consider
themselves on notice," he said. "Police are directing their efforts to stamp out this
illegal activity."
Detective Superintendent Ray Sweeny said the raid followed six months' work as part of Operation Skeet to stop
drug use and dealing.
In the first phase of the operation police have targeted major suppliers of designer drugs. The second phase will
involve nightclubs and bars where police believe designer drugs are being sold and used.
More than 10 search warrants have been executed in the past six months resulting in the arrest of 11 people and
the seizure of 1620 ecstasy tablets, three ounces of amphetamines, nearly $40,000 in cash and a number of
unlicensed or illegal weapons.
Mr Sweeny said the manufacture, supply and use of designer drugs, in particular ecstasy, were increasing in the
ACT.
"Our intelligence would suggest that for every one person taking ecstasy five years ago, another 10 young people
are experimenting with the drug today," he said.
"Ecstasy and other designer drugs have become very much a part of the nightclub scene in Canberra.
"As well as locking up the people dealing these drugs, our aim in this operation is to give people a clear message
that the use of designer drugs is both illegal and dangerous."
The operation also includes targeting the spiking of drinks for financial gain and rape.
Mr Sweeny said police intelligence suggested there had been a sharp increase in people's drinks being spiked in
recent months, and urged anyone who thought they had been drugged to report the incident.
The third part of the operation will be launched today when police begin an education campaign.
A 28-year-old man has been charged with possession of a prohibited substance for sale or supply.
Police are also interviewing several people who were at Lot 33 yesterday morning.

It seems this is happenig everywhere. I think it looks best to be winning the war on drugs in the lead up to an election, no?

how are they winning the war on drugs?
if they think 21 baggies of drugs is a significant haul.. *laughs*
all its going to do is make a few people loose a tiny bit of money..

..of course they are not winning the war, the ACA already has admitted they have lost(which means they lost a long time ago) but, to those who just read the newspaper and are conservative and narrow minded(
wink.gif
) it looks like the war is being won.
..I think.

Yeah, this really gives me the shits...
50 or so cops bust in, a nightclub FULL of people - 1 single arrest!!!! Makes it all worth while doesn't it??
It is just making some politician look good, and putting a bit of fear in the back of the minds of people who attend nightclubs. In a way I guess it will make people be more careful with their goodies.
Everyone knows it is against the law the things we do - but this isn't really going to stop everyone doing what they do is it...
I wonder how much this business will affect upcoming events????
happychappy

hmmmm... the lot.
why not somewhere else?
[This message has been edited by Bubbles (edited 14 August 2001).]

yo bubbles... why do i suspect that they're going to do over habana next...
frown.gif

------------------
bluelight: we are the viet cong of the war on drugs...

shhhhhhhhh! don't tell them!!
anyways, we all know that South Pac is the place to go to buy and consume drugs!
*wink*

^^ yes mr p0liceman... dat de truth... fo sho massa... yessah!... yo can b'lieve dat girl... she speaka de truuf... ooh lord almightay yessah...
wink.gif

------------------

Is anyone really worried about this? I've only just turned 18, and have only just started clubbing, but the way it's going, I'd be worried about going anywhere, with all these farking raids...
We were actually going to go to Lot 33 on the Saturday night, thank god we didn't...
------------------
Nang nang nang nang nang nang...
Dante* (nee Skullturkey)
[email protected]

South Pac: Home of $10 jugs of GHB.
It really is a happy hour.
wink.gif

BTW: I basically grew up at the South Pac bar, so dont all knock it! Its pretty stank, but that is the price for cheap drinks and underage hoes.

let's not give the cops any ideas for the next place to raid mmmmmmmkay?
I once picked up the hottest guy at south pac. *winks at FST*

^^ *sigh* they're at it again... get a room guys...
wink.gif

and Dante*... chill dude... i think theres an election coming up in canberra... once the election's over... the shit should cool down... and don't... for fucks sake... take more drugs to a club than you plan to be taking in one go...
------------------

Dante* relax! dont worry about busts! they cannot get u for simply bein "on something" (well, legally they can, but it is not financially viable for them to..) simply be safe, dont carry drugs, and if something bad does happen (bust etc) just be cool.. will give u something to talk about the next day...
ahh good old lot 33... i was there earlier on this year when all that shit went down with the hand gun.. always fun...

*giggles* I FINALLY get it. Your too deep for me giggles!
As for raids in Canberra, that sounds like prime time TV show in the US, "unbelievable but true".
------------------
"Everybody, every-everybody, everybody's BIG now!"

just don't take anything into the clubs and you should be fine!!!!!!!!!!!

muzby... what is this shit wit da handgun?
i'm curious now...
------------------

Some guy pulled a piece on some guy, and then some other guy took it away from him and chucked it on the roof. There were footballers involved I think.

ahhh... thanx cancle...
smile.gif

fucking rugby players... they're the root of all evil...
wink.gif

------------------