Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

"Mixed messages to young on drugs " West Australian Sat. 11th

east staines massiv

Bluelighter
Bad journalism from this punter once again, suposedly a "youth reporter" but to me just more of a "scare parents about their YOUTH reporter" .. this is just propaganda, complete crap and the thing that pissed me off the most is that in a whole page article, there was no CONTENT whatsoever.
I've already emailed my opinions to him directly... you can do the same:
Mixed messages to young on drugs
By Nick Miller
THEY reckon a child sees 8000 TV murders before his 10th birthday. But by the time he is 21, he probably knows more about drugs than killing people.
Which is ironic, really, because the thing he does not know about drugs is exactly how they kill and why they are illegal. He knows a lot of other stuff.
His music hero, Marilyn Manson, talks in an interview about how much fun ecstasy is.
An article in The Face magazine fills him in on the "whoosh", the new trendy sample in dance music that is supposed to be just like the MDMA (ecstasy) rush.
The electronic music mags have special editions on Why Drugs Are Bad, for exactly the same reason Cleo and Cosmo run articles on Why You Don't Need To Be As Thin As Our Models.
Eminem raps about Purple Pills, sorry, Hills. The song is a virtual shopping list and in case you missed the detail, the lyrics are on the Internet (his new DVD is called simply E, chuckle chuckle).
The Verve sing The Drugs Don't Work. Nine Inch Nails tell you You Are the Perfect Drug, Cypress Hill take Hits From the Bong, easy listening radio tries not to think what the Red Hot Chili Peppers were doing Under the Bridge Downtown. Even if mum switches off Rage and puts on The Beatles"Revolver CD you have to wonder what their Doctor Robert was peddling.
Movies? Trainspotting, Pulp Fiction, Human Traffic, Go, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Traffic . . .
Switch on the TV? Certainly not that dodgy Ali G. Catch a Simpsons rerun instead. See when Lisa drinks the water on the Duff-land ride . . . when Homer trips out from the Guatemalan insanity chilli peppers . . . when Shelbyville contaminates Springfield's water supply with LSD and Marge sees the kitchen walls melting . . . the giant Satan picks up the bus and Otto says, "Whoa I must be having a flashback", Bart finds a bong and Homer laughs and says, "I haven't seen one of these in years", the blind guy's stash falls out of his pocket and the cops rock up for a bit of a session.
Drugs are literally, and metaphorically, washing up on our shores.
At school it used to be a hint of marijuana, scandal, expulsion! Now it is the standard, adolescent pretending-I-know-more-than-I-really-do on the subject of trips, speed, Yellow Smileys versus Beige Domes and rolling and comedown and chillout.
Alcohol is sooo last decade. At a 21st birthday party, you're probably as likely to be offered a line of speed as a tequila shot.
The official line is a handful of pamphlets and the message Just Say No, to which the answer is But My Mate Dave Said Yes And He Says He Had A Wicked Time And By The Way, He's Not Dead And He Scored The Powder From His Brother Who's A Lawyer.
The Internet is a whole different matter. If you are interested, even a brief search can find reams of information - local, national, international, official, unofficial, legal, semi-legal, definitely illegal, photos of pills with scores from one to 10, guesses at their contents, and pages upon pages ad infinitum of idle chat-room blah ranging from the thoughtful and responsible through to "has anyone seen the big "GET INVOLVED IN DRUGS!"ads around? We saw one at the movies last night and laughed our arses off". And: "Marky Mark, you are absolutely right!! What is the difference between gettin"smashed off piss and driving, and droppin"a pill or two and drivin'!!! I'll tell ya what I'd feel safer doin'. . ."
And: "Did anyone else have a green ? at Gatecrasher?? Me and a few friends had them and pretty much all agree that they take ages to come on (about an hour) but when they do - F...! Just like the old ones."
On a Perth-based site, ecstasy users write reports on which pills are good and bad.
Dance music promoters and club owners will twist sideways to deny the link between their legal business and illegal drugs. True, not everyone in a club is on something. True, the people running the place would have a much easier job if everyone in the place was straight as a born-again Christian.
But I went to a big music event last year and, just out of interest, asked about 20 people whether they were on anything. And the only guy who said no added:"Damnit, I left it to the last minute and couldn't get any". Are parents on top of this? Half the parents I know would not bat an eye if they caught their teenage child smoking a joint. Some would join in.
Are the police on top of this? Eight years ago, a friend of mine picked up an undercover cop at a big party and they went back to her flat to share a spliff. At outdoor music events, the police policy is if it's not obvious we won't search for it. Those packets of pills on the TV news, proudly shown off by police celebrating a big bust, must mean something. But it is hard to figure out what.
Is any of this remotely surprising? And if not, why do we pretend we are a society that takes a tough line on drugs?
This is not about heroin. I do not know much about that, except a friend of mine tried it at a party once and he is now just about to finish a PhD. Someone else I know of tried it once and he has a criminal record and his life is trash.
I am talking about drugs such as marijuana, speed and ecstasy which the majority of young people will come into contact with. Those drugs are undergoing a decriminalisation in the mind. The whole of society, apart from a few authority figures wearing uncool clothes is telling young people that drugs are a part of everyday life.
The problem is communicating the physiological, psychological and social dangers as a deluge of music and movies sends a very different message. It must be done in a way young people will accept, understand, and most importantly, act on.

I like the article. I can't see how you can disagree with the "decriminalisation in the mind". 10 years ago, would most of you have searched out drugs and the associated sub-culture? Nowadays, people revel in it.
I like the article. It isn't all about kandE love, and if only "the man" could understand.

It just a personal opinion, I don't think it's written as definitive statement. Some good points, some bad. Not a big issue.
*inserts .02 into slot*
------------------
I swallowed one of these about two hours ago...the explanation is that it is, in fact..my hat.

as i said, the article is written to create panick in the readers about the growing drug problem
"At school it used to be a hint of marijuana, scandal, expulsion! Now it is the standard, adolescent pretending-I-know-more-than-I-really-do on the subject of trips, speed, Yellow Smileys versus Beige Domes and rolling and comedown and chillout."
be worried parents, Drugs are in your kikds schools, and no only that they are dropping pills, acid and snorting speed... obviously an opinion based on what evidence? seeing as he doesnt state any figures about the number of people between 13-17 who actually do these drugs
he adds seemingly positive things about drug use
ie
"On a Perth-based site, ecstasy users write reports on which pills are good and bad." w/o backing up why it may be good (ie to stop people taking ketamine) and places these quotes in between negative quotes.
Then he asks "are the police on top of this" so now the article isnt about the desensitisation of people towards drugs but the lack of ability of law enforcement agencies to stop people taking drugs? maybe the desensitisation is more related to growing knowledge (from websites like this) and much less to an overall urban decay like the article alludes to?
Then the last paragraph totally contradicts his whole article...
"The problem is communicating the physiological, psychological and social dangers as a deluge of music and movies sends a very different message. " what the FUCK about the websites that he was writing off half a page up?
the problem with journalists is that they know how to write, and can come up with shit like this when they HAVE to.... i wonder what exactly nick millers interest is in drugs? keeping his job by selling papers likely.
i typed this in a rush as my girlfriend is in a hurry to get outside on such a nice day. im sure i fucked up my point. but bleh
increase-da-peace

eh it's not a bad opinion piece, and i do agree with a few points. nick miller has written quite a few stories about the cause, some of them even sympathetic. he's a journo, so ultimatly its about selling papers, but it seems that he likes talking about this issue, and is prepared to give all sides a chance to talk about it.
does anyone want to tell him that the verve's "the drugs dont work" is about watching a parent die of cancer, and the drugs in question are legal medications?

Is he quoting sensationalist headlines..Yes, I agree. but WHY? he asks "Is this suprising?" That to me(in my little box)say's he's trying to provoke personal comment(which may or may not sell papers).But I think the point is to invoke a stance, make you get an opinion, bring you into a debate. It's whether or not the reader has the ability to come to a varied and informed decision, by using other sources. You won't find a national database of information quoted in an opinion piece, it's just a catalyst for further debate...Like this......
------------------
I swallowed one of these about two hours ago...the explanation is that it is, in fact..my hat.

1) the guy has a sense of humour...
2) it seems he has a better idea of what he's writing about than most journos...
3) it doesn't seem to be overly alarmist... more rational in it's approach...
plazma's 2 cents... hey it could be worse...
------------------
plazma: "rectal dosage is similar to oral..."
sex: "its nature's cocaine, you can't just do it once..."
bluelight: "we are the viet cong of the war on drugs..."

i just noticed a similarity between a quote in the article and a post on bluelight
bluelight quote:
"Did anyone else have a green ? at Gatecrasher?? Me and a few friends had them and pretty much all agree that they take ages to come on (about an hour) but when they do - FUCK! Just like the old ones"
nicke miller's quote:
And: "Did anyone else have a green ? at Gatecrasher?? Me and a few friends had them and pretty much all agree that they take ages to come on (about an hour) but when they do - F...! Just like the old ones."
perhaps nick is a blulighter?
wink.gif

This article seems quite accurate... I agree with almost all the points he raises. He is simply highlighting how our cultural acceptance of drugs has switched from being a taboo subject, to one of casual acceptance. Drugs do have their dangers... How can you expect any media articles to extole their virtues?

It's a lot more balanced than the Sun-Herald shite.
------------------
"You drive," he said. "I think there's something wrong with me." - Hunter S. Thompson, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

whats the deal with bagging Ali G?
as for 19/20 people at a rave being on something. i dont think so. maybe they said they were so the guy wouldnt try to push more on them
------------------
quick man, kick me in the junk

I think i couldn't agree more, why make it a issue when it is not, as he said we are not talking about heroin here. Like anything else, for eg: alcohol doing it excessively in a single night can put u in a irreversible coma, or like a dickhead u drive and kill someone else, doing it over long time causes cirrhosis of liver, and kidney failure. and the mighty big bucks that our goverments get from the cigarette companys, which most people don't even enjoy, ur mouth smells like shit, and all the different types of cancers and respiratory problems u can get. So how do they handle the issue, well rather then debating it and losing votes, lets just go on with the perception that people have and media make, and we will be okay if we have one less issue to worry about in next elections.
hopfully our future policy makers will be people who have a little more indebt knowledge about what policy's they are making and talking about. As far as cops go sometimes i feel they are just being sausaged, if they do something they get ridiculed for doing it, if they don't then goverment will spend millions of dollars setting up some sort of royal commission into the issue, and of course image consultants getting paid $30000 to $40000 a a month ( a salary which could have got a extra nurse in the hospital) to tell our state MP's what socks he should wear. I reckon we should teach our young not about drugs, rather about sick head politicans who i reckon are sometime more dangerous and we don't even have a good time.
[This message has been edited by bmradio (edited 13 August 2001).]

i think the article they were talking about was teknoscape in perth, not bluelight, because there was quotes from certain topics on the site and it included the web name
(marky mark)who is from teknoscape.
sorry to dissapoint you'se guys
check it out www.teknoscape.com.au

i liked the bit that went something like this:
"these days a person is more likely to be offered a line of speed instead of a tequilla shot . . . at their 21st"
hehe dejavu exactly!!!
------------------
I fall at your feet, colour-blind and sold, so sold.

Makes sense to me though.
I'd much rather be hyperactive then drink poison to make myself feel dizzy and like SHIT the next day. Most ppl think nothing of a person throwing up when they're drunk, but as soon as you throw up when you've taken something else... *gasp*

Well, I thought it was well written and contained some good points.
Don't be so quick to criticise journalists before thinking about the environment in which they have to create and attempt to get these stories to print.....

in regards to a line of goey at a 21st, i went to one last weekend, no tequelia to be found, but yes i was offered a line of goey upon arrival....
smile.gif

he's pretty well researched...
maybe he's following me....
*looks around*
*hides in nearby foliage*
------------------
the secret to success is clean underwear and a good top hat

i dont particuarly like the article, but that is perhaps due to the fact that ive hated many of the other articles he has written on "youth culture" therefore im reading it from very subjective view point.
perhaps some of his generalisations are fairly accurate.
maybe it is just my friends, but i have not been to a party where illicit drugs have been offered in replacement of alcohol. i assume this is because they are way too expensive in comparison to alcohol.
but as i said perhaps his generalisations are somewhat accurate.