Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Methoxetamine (MXE) - second time - unable to follow narrative structure

k.bear

Bluelighter
Compound: Methoxetamine (2-(3-methoxyphenyl)-2-(ethylamino)cyclohexanone)

Total amount taken: 100mg

Description of drug: White powder, quite fine. A pleasure to snort.

My previous drug experience: have taken MDMA and ecstacy waaay too much over the past 8 years or so. Recently experimented with 2C-E and 2C-C quite a bit. Weed, obviously (although not so much any more). Have taken ketamine a reasonable amount over the past 3 or so years but not too much; might have a tiny tolerance but not very much as good ket still knocks me out with just a couple bumps. Have only K-holed a handful of times, by accident, although the last experience has left me wanting to do it on purpose.

About me: Male, mid-20s, reasonably good health (although went through a horrible benzo withdrawal last year which left me with stomach issues) - 165cm height, 64kg weight.

THE EXPERIENCE

This is my second time taking Methoxetamine - the first time was two nights prior, and you can read the trip report here. This time I decided to up the dose as my first experience was just to get a feel for the effects.

It's 19:30 on a Friday night. I'm at home with my girlfriend, we've just finished our respective days at work, and we've just eaten a bowl of freshly prepared pasta. I had a couple of beers at work during the afternoon (I have a pretty relaxed work environment) but that was sufficiently long ago that I'm not worried about it reacting negatively with the MXE.

My girlfriend was originally going to join me in taking MXE but now decides against it, so it's just me. We stick on Scott Pilgrim in glorious HD and I set about racking up some lines.

T+0:00 - I weigh out 45mg and insufflate them in two lines. From what I've heard, this should have me nicely spangled - if it doesn't send me to outer space then it should at least have me orbiting the earth's atmosphere.

We watch Scott Pilgrim and I'm loving the visual style - it's very trippy, and I remember thinking that it will make an excellent drug film. I stand by this. I wait for the drug to have an effect but nothing. My face feels slightly numb but I'm not really feeling a lot.

T+1:00 - I still don't think that I'm feeling much, which is unexpected as I took 45mg earlier, which isn't exactly a low dose. I was careful not to re-dose too soon - safety first, fellow drug enthusiasts - but it has now been exactly one hour, so I weigh out another 25mg and insufflate that in two lines.

I still don't think that I'm feeling much throughout the rest of the film. Think is the key word though - although I didn't think that I was feeling much effect, in retrospect I could not follow the film at all. It literally made no sense - it was just a serious of bright colours and really fucking cool video game overlays (if you haven't seen it yet then you should totally watch it). I was fully immersed in the film, trying my best to follow it, but I was completely unable to follow narrative structure of any kind. At the time I just thought that the film was really weird and artsy and decided to take the bold move of omitting narrative structure entirely, but speaking to my girlfriend after the film she informs that it did indeed have a narrative structure, it made total sense, and she was able to follow it without issue. I think that I'll have to re-watch this one.

The film ends, so we watch Ugly Betty (I actually like watching this program on drugs because it's so cheesy and absurd, and very very colourful). I don't pay much attention - I faff around on the internet for a bit, and generally become distracted by anything and everything. Walking feels bouncy.

I do a single nitrous oxide balloon (my first and last of the night). It's okay, but it makes my head feel a bit too weird afterwards. They were more fun on MXE the last time. Perhaps I just need to lay off the NO2 for a bit.

T+2:45 - It's nearly been 3 hours since I embarked on my attempted space mission, and I'm still pretty much on Earth. If anything I'm on one of those silly aircraft that Richard Branson owns that take you into the atmosphere, make you float around a bit and then land safely. It's not true space travel and it's kind of frustrating. A space-tease, if you will.

I insufflate another 30mg in two lines as the next episode of Ugly Betty starts. I decide to give this episode my full attention so I lie down on the second sofa directly facing the TV, and my girlfriend lies down on the other one. I wrap myself in a blanket and watch.

About 15 minutes in I am overcome with a warm, almost serene feeling. I start to melt ever-so-slightly into the sofa. Feels good man. I'm finally feeling the opiate effect with this drug that I've heard others talk about. It's subtle, but then again it's not actually an opiate (is it?) and it feels nice anyway, so who cares. Mmmmm, wooly warm drug hug in my brain.

Again, I can't follow the program despite giving it my full attention. Some French kid comes on screen and everyone starts talking French. I'm pretty sure that this is actually happening. The show just seems so absurdly surreal and it makes no sense, but I'm quite happy just to stare at the screen, feeling all snuggly and warm. Somebody described MXE as a big Christmas cardigan and I'd have to agree, this is a very apt description.

I start to get quite introspective, thinking about my life and job and various things that are on my mind. Drug-fuelled doubt starts creeping in, as it so often does on drugs, and I really can't bothered with entering "the dark place" tonight so I try not to think too much and just watch the pretty colours on the screen. It works. I giggle at the ending of the episode - it's so surreal that I can't put it into words. I thought that the creators of the program were just trying to fuck with the audience, but my girlfriend informs me that it was just a standard episode, nothing out of the ordinary. I look at her in confusion. Does not compute.

So, the program has ended and it's now decision time - to fiend or not to fiend. I decide not to fiend and we go to bed. Sleep is difficult - my head feels fuggy. After about two hours of not sleeping I get up again, turn on the computer and browse reddit for about 15 minutes. I drink a small amount of neat sipping rum thinking that it might help me get to sleep, but my head is still all over the place and it isn't agreeing with me. I feel a bit gross and being up and about isn't really helping so I abandon the idea and just go back to bed. Sleep comes about an hour later and I wake up at about 10am feeling pretty much normal.

IN RETROSPECT / SOME OBSERVATIONS

This is not ketamine. It shares some similarities, but it's definitely different. If you like ketamine then you'll probably like this too, but the effects are not the same. They're fun and they're different and that's not a bad thing at all.

The come-up is definitely longer than on ketamine. After reading this thread I was very careful not to re-dose too soon. This is good advice. I would say that as a general rule, don't re-dose until an hour has passed. Better safe than sorry.

All in all I took approximately 100mg, and while it was interesting it did not get me where I wanted to be. It's definitely an interesting compound but I think that I need to take slightly more heroic doses next time. I'm cautious when it comes to RCs (especially ones as new as this) but I've taken it twice now at reasonable/mid-level doses and it hasn't quite got me there.

Some possible reasons for this:

1. Cross-tolerance from ketamine. I'm ruling this one out because I don't think that I have much of a K tolerance - a tiny amount of good K knocks me out like a motherfucker.

2. I ate a reasonably large bowl of pasta shortly before dosing. I guess this is a possible factor, but I snorted quite a bit over quite some time so it should have done more at some point.

3. What I'm taking isn't MXE. I don't think that this is the case. I won't go into vendor specifics here as that's naughty, but I'm reasonably confident that the vendor I bought from stocks genuine MXE. Also, the effects that I experienced (while mild) are similar to those reported by fellow experimenters on this forum.

4. The MXE that I bought isn't pure or has been cut with something. A possibility I guess - it's not like I've tested this shit in a lab or anything - but again, I'm reasonably confident that this is genuine MXE.

5. It just doesn't affect me in the same way as others, and I need more to get me where I want to be. This is the explanation that I'm going with as it seems the most likely. Different compounds affect different people in different ways, after all.

FUTURE PLANS FOR A SPACE MISSION

As you may have guessed, I am determined to attempt space travel with this compound. According to my calculations I have about half of my stash (250mg) left. I probably won't get a chance to experiment further until the new year, but when I do I plan to go all out: 100mg insufflated at once. I wouldn't normally be this reckless but my previous two experiments have led me to believe that this will be safe and entirely manageable - required, even, if I want to do this properly. If that doesn't work then I will insufflate 50mg every hour until blast off, or until I get bored and go to bed. I will of course report back to mission control and update you all as to the success (or failure) of the mission.

Commander K-Bear signing off.

EDIT: It is two days since the events of this report, and all of my MXE is gone. Some was taken the following night, most was taken the day following the following night. No space travel. Another gram has been ordered. I'm not optimistic about space travel with this compound (for me at least - the majority of people seem to manage it no problem) and have concluded that personally, less is more. Small bumps + serene confusion = happy days.

Last edited:
Good report, I want to try this stuff but I've never ordered anything off the internet and I don't want to order it off a random website I don't know :/ but shit happens, maybe the headshop has some...
Again nice report

Great report. I have ordered a gram of this a few days ago and just waiting for it to arrive. I'm quite excited to try this as ketamine is probably my favourite drug ever (even though I have taken it too far and binged on it for weeks on end in the past).

One thing that worries me is that I get drug tested twice a week, a swab test on mondays for ketamine, and a 6 panel swab test on thursdays. I have done a bit of research and I'm pretty confident it won't show up even on the ketamine test, but I will report back if it does.

I haven't taken ketamine for many months now so I'm hoping my tolerance is gone. I'm probably going to insufflate around 50mg and wait an hour or so, but my guess is that it won't get me to where I want until around 150mg... We will see.

Last edited:
The first batch of MXE I got... prolly around December 2010... was pure white, and 50mg knocked my ass out. The next batch, obtained around June 2011, was more granular and had some dark specs in it. It is definitely less potent than the first batch. I don't think it's so much a matter of 'bad' batches or a cut, but more the results from different synths. These discrepancies make it difficult to judge dosing based on the experience of others.

^^That sounds like a good bit of sense to me Termino.

OP: (K.bear)
Thanks for the report.
Travel safely. No rush, even if your bag is emptying and you feel like you need to make something of it. Take your time. Don't push. It will happen. :)

Don't distract yourself with movies. MXE is the movie.