Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

'Mezcal' (!) tequila ... for real?

lsd303

Bluelighter
Hey..
Noticed with interest earlier tonight that the local government-approved drugstore is selling bottles of 'mezcal' tequila, complete with worm. The blurb on the bottle claims that eating the worm is 'the key' to all sorts of amazing shit, etc .. I was just wondering if anyone out there has consumed one of these so-called 'mezcal' worms, and whether they really are the real deal (ie full of mescaline)..? And if so, how strong is the trip? The stuff costs $40+ per bottle, but I figure if there's a full-blown mescaline trip lurking in there, I'll pay that - screw the tequila!
smile.gif

anyone..?
------------------
Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration... that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively - there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. here's Tom with the weather!

no mescaline, none at all. nothing at all psychoactive in fact...
Okay, first things first: If you are buying tequila with worms in it, it's a fake. Take it back and demand a refund. The worms are
only found in a particular type of mezcal, and while tequila is a type of mezcal, it's not the type with the worm in it. The kind with the worm is known as "mezcal con gusano." The worm itself, Hipopta agavis, lives in the stems of agave plants (the plant from which mezcal is made) and is a bright coral color. They are apparently fairly difficult to find, so some mezcal makers are replacing the true worm with a fake--the Atrovirens, a white worm which lives in the leaves of the agave plant. They are different in flavor, smell, and color, and the original is considered superior. You can easily tell the difference by color (and who knows, maybe by the taste). While the coral colored worms will become paler the longer they sit, they won't ever become completely washed out. The worm was originally put into mezcal as proof of alcohol content, but apparently it also alters the taste of the liquor, as well as the color and smell.
As for why it's "cool" to eat the worm, well, it used to be considered an aphrodisiac that blessed warriors with strength and virility. These days, it's pretty much just for the kick. The alcohol kick, I mean, not the kick your friends get out of seeing you suck down a dead worm.
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mtequila.html
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh

If only the source of mescaline in Australia was that simple...
smile.gif

*keeps looking*

Once upon a time a FOAF happened upon several boxes of mescal tequila, with the worm at the bottom of the bottle. We would eat the worm after drinking a bottle of the stuff. When that didn't seem to work we tried eating the worms by themselves.
All I can say (and I'm pretty sure these were the correct worm. colour etc.) is that none of us got anything noticeable from eating the rubbery things. Couple of us did get quite sick, and we certainly behaved as you would expect when large amounts of alcohol were involved. But that was all it was, alcohol.
A drink which supposedly had some opiate in it was Southern Comfort, which around 1977 was removed from sale in NZ (not sure bout oz) until it could be produced without this ingredient. Sorry - can’t remember what the offending compound was.
Once saw what was said to be a Peyote cactus. A tiny thing with no buttons, it was going to take 7 years to produce enough for one dose. Needless to say it didn't last 7 years. Ripped off after a few months. Experts say peyote really is an ornamental in Aus. try asking around your local weekend market.
phase_dancer

the worm is a worm... if you picked a worm out of the ground... dropped it in ethanol and then ate it, would you expect anything???
plus... mezcal is the mexican name for "shitty tequila"... it's really second rate shit... DO NOT BUY... unless of course you are enamoured of tragically bad hangovers...
------------------
the guy who was once
E-u4ria...

Amen to that plazma.
Mezcal is evil shit. My friend and I usually can polish off a bottle hard liquor pretty easily but this time we had Mezcal and we had to stop with 1/4 left because it was just so rough on the head and body.

I ate one of these worms at Taco Bill on Russell St. in Melbourne. They gave me a certificate and everything.
------------------
"Rock over London, rock on Chicago!" - Wesley Willis
Memes don't exist - tell your friends

I ate one of these worms at Taco Bill on Russell St. in Melbourne. They gave me a certificate and everything. But as you could assume from reading previous posts, I didn't trip out or anything. Just a good night of drinking
smile.gif

------------------
"Rock over London, rock on Chicago!" - Wesley Willis
Memes don't exist - tell your friends

It just sits in the bottom and soaks up a bit of alchol, did nothing and wasnt the nicest thing to eat..HAHAHAHA !
but at least i can say i have eatern a worm.