Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NCA chief urges heroin trial

Mr E. Moore

Bluelighter
http://www.thewest.com.au/20010809/news/state/tw-news-state-home-sto19404.html
front cover of today's West Australian
"Police alone could not stop the drug trade, given Australia's vast coastline, the free flow of trade and visitors, and the advanced technology available to criminals.
An NCA report on organised crime released yesterday said police would have seized no more than 12 per cent of heroin imported during 1999-2000.
Despite enormous police efforts around Australia, that was "the nature of the beast", Mr Crooke said."
------------------
My eyes! the glasses they do nothing!

heroin trial wont do shit IMO, just give some junkies some free drugs and it will be abused like the methodone program. Now basically i would be in favour if it, if the junkies had to pay SOME remuniration for it (so it doesnt become some sort of junkie charity). and other drugs were legalised, the fact that a drug like herion could be semi legalised shits me to the bone. its sad what happens to people, but they should cop the consequences of their actions on the chin (addiction).
now an goverment regulated mdma selling body would have value in harms reduction and reducing criminal action (im not just saying that cause i like pills
smile.gif
)....
heroin is an entirely diffrent ball game
maybe they should give it a try, but just a try....
its hard to say what should and shouldnt be done (although i have givin my opinion)
because theres just so many factors
i mean theres:
1) dealers
2) users allready on it
3) potential users (includes education etc.)
and these are were all the factors are (lol @ my sentence "good engrish stylin")
bah
my 2 c
------------------
the secret to success is clean underwear and a good top hat
[This message has been edited by Stylin (edited 09 August 2001).]

Agreed. I'm not so sure giving out free herion is really going to achieve anything, might just make some people who are able to get it richer as they sell it to other users who can't get the pure stuff.

Wouldn't it be terrible if all drugs were legalised?
Imagine proffesional chemists making pure substances available in exact doses.
Then some bastard would sell them for just a little bit more than the cost of production to flog them off quicker than the next guy.
OH GOD! the bloody government might start spreading well reasearched information about these substances in schools and in the media. They may even take some tax from the sales and use it for reaserch and public health issues...
O.K so that last one is probably only half right but then the whole things a farce.
People wan't drugs then they are available. If no one bought a dodgy E because we all tested it and checked info first then no one would sell them. Availability and demand would probably rise with legalisation but so would safety and quality.
We control this industry, we drug consumers.
Another rant from Sir Shtonkalot.

Everyone has an opinion on heroin trials, but most of it is just based on tabloid info. There may be ways it could be implemented effectively and ineffectively.
For example conditions like they must go to regular sessions with a psychologist would be good. Surely that is better, and has more potential to help them than them, than them just using on their own and never speaking to anyone who may help them deal with the problems in their lives.
A negative that springs to mind is, it should only be for long term hardcore users, however, if someone is a casual user, who has to pay for it, they may think that if they use more, they won't have to pay for it. Kind of like a reward for using a lot vs a little.
Such a complex issue that you can't give a yes/no answer to the question of heroin trials. It depends on the circumstances... most ppl don't know the real issues as they have not dealt with heroin use, even though they "think" they know what it's about(myself included).
The best thing about the nca report is that it seems like they are not controlled by the US, unlike the govt...
Also someone mentioned there should be referendum on the h. trials issue... this is not going to get anyway, australians won't vote for change, it's all too scarey..... and average joe sixpack shouldn't make a decision about such a complex issue (neither should just the politicians either...)
Blaaaaaaah...